Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Is there an Intelligent Design to the Multiverse??

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Is there an Intelligent Design to the Multiverse??
Post by BlakeAntonio   » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:55 am

BlakeAntonio
Midshipman

I find it odd that both Arcana and Sharona seem to only have a single portal each, whereas just about every other connected universe seems to have two or more.

How did the multiverse 'know' that these two inhabited 'verses only needed one portal, and that they were to be the 'starting point' for civilized exploration?

And how is it that the portals, with 13.8 BILLION years to pick from to come into existence, seemed to wait until the last few hundred years to trigger the start of what is clearly an ongoing process?

Methinks that the authors have a tremendous backstory to reveal
Re: Is there an Intelligent Design to the Multiverse??
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:19 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

BlakeAntonio wrote:I find it odd that both Arcana and Sharona seem to only have a single portal each, whereas just about every other connected universe seems to have two or more.

How did the multiverse 'know' that these two inhabited 'verses only needed one portal, and that they were to be the 'starting point' for civilized exploration?

And how is it that the portals, with 13.8 BILLION years to pick from to come into existence, seemed to wait until the last few hundred years to trigger the start of what is clearly an ongoing process?

The only universes we have seen (with one exception) are on being used in the conflict; they have to have at least 2 portals to be used. The universe used as a hideout could be a dead-end after all.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by BlakeAntonio   » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:57 am

BlakeAntonio
Midshipman

I find it odd that both Arcana and Sharona seem to only have a single portal each, whereas just about every other connected universe seems to have two or more. How did the multiverse 'know' that these two inhabited 'verses only needed one portal, and that they were to be the 'starting point' for civ...

SHAREit Appvn
Post by Castenea   » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:45 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

What I find interesting that the portals seem to have opened on both home worlds at relatively similar timeframes.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:50 am

Joat42
Admiral

I seem to remember that there are "dead-end" chains mentioned in the books. Am I wrong?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Louis R   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:07 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Was going to say the same thing. Just checked the maps, and none are shown there, but I'm pretty sure they're mentioned on the Sharonan side at least.

I'm also fairly sure that there's a comment from Himself to the effect that what's going on with the gates is indeed _not_ random.

Joat42 wrote:I seem to remember that there are "dead-end" chains mentioned in the books. Am I wrong?
Post by Joat42   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Louis R wrote:I'm also fairly sure that there's a comment from Himself to the effect that what's going on with the gates is indeed _not_ random.

Well, not random doesn't imply ID - it can just mean that the gate-progression is determined by some dimensional interplay based on the physics of each world. It can even be based on the golden section/angle which re-occurs everywhere in nature.

Of course, from our perspective as readers the Multiverse is definitely created by ID, aka rfc ;).

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by kylegreewon   » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:33 am

kylegreewon
Midshipman

BlakeAntonio wrote:I find it odd that both Arcana and Sharona seem to only have a single portal each, whereas just about every other connected universe seems to have two or more.

.https://gbapps.net

evidence for intelligent design would be if there was no lineage between species, they sprang fully formed in the historical record all at the same time; if there were no explainable causal chain for the formation of the world or life; if animal biology followed arbitrary patterns or varied widely in ways that were not at all beneficial to their own survival. In short, Creation would look almost nothing like our present world.
Post by Louis R   » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:37 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I think you have rather misunderstood the OP's proposition, which is that the Gates are artefacts and that somebody is up to something. No Capital Letters in sight ;)

Whether the purpose of opening the gates when and where they happened was benevolent or malevolent - or in fact completely indifferent to the fates of Sharona and Arcana - or if there is in fact a purpose to them, is a field for massive speculation. Although, as I said earlier, IIRC Himself did make a remark suggesting that the gates are part of a cunning plan.

kylegreewon wrote:evidence for intelligent design would be if there was no lineage between species, they sprang fully formed in the historical record all at the same time; if there were no explainable causal chain for the formation of the world or life; if animal biology followed arbitrary patterns or varied widely in ways that were not at all beneficial to their own survival. In short, Creation would look almost nothing like our present world.
Post by GodYato   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:47 pm

GodYato
Midshipman

Hey, thanks for doing this forum. It's a great question that is there an intelligent design to the universe or multiverse. I recently came up with an idea with my study and I found out that
in recent decades, many scientists have discovered that our universe is just right for life. To understand this fine-tuning, imagine a control panel with dozens of dials. Also, to allow life, each dial that controls one property of nature must be properly tuned within a narrow range.

Return to Multiverse