Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Is there an Intelligent Design to the Multiverse??

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Is there an Intelligent Design to the Multiverse??
Post by Louis R   » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:47 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

It appears from the story recently posted on baen.com that both worlds have more portals, including one that connects them directly - but they're entirely below sea level.

You're also overlooking the fact that we are very unlikely to have seen the other places with only one known portal [IIRC, the world the boy Voice and others retreat to is one, actually] for the simple reason that they _aren't_ on the route from Arcana to Sharona. Which, up to this point, makes them largely irrelevant to the story.

technologywell wrote:I find it odd that both Arcana and Sharona seem to only have a single portal each, whereas just about every other connected universe seems to have two or more.

I love this amazing story!

https://technologywell.com/gta-5-ios/
Post by ikkami   » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:37 am

ikkami
Midshipman

Scientific theories proposing a multiverse are educated speculation; other universes could not be observed even if they existed, and there are logical reasons to accept or reject various multiverse theories. A confident conclusion seems impossible when we ask, “does a multiverse exist?” and “if it exists, what are its characteristics?”, so humility is justifiable. kinemaster mods
Post by zyffyr   » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:57 am

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

ikkami wrote:Scientific theories proposing a multiverse are educated speculation; other universes could not be observed even if they existed, and there are logical reasons to accept or reject various multiverse theories. A confident conclusion seems impossible when we ask, “does a multiverse exist?” and “if it exists, what are its characteristics?”, so humility is justifiable.

Given the subject is a book series with a verifiable multiverse, what exactly was the point of any of this post?
Post by adamrosengard   » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:21 am

adamrosengard
Midshipman

BlakeAntonio wrote:I find it odd that both Arcana and Sharona seem to only have a single portal each, whereas just about every other connected universe seems to have two or more.

How did the multiverse 'know' that these two inhabited 'verses only needed one portal, and that they were to be the 'starting point' for civilized exploration?

And how is it that the portals, with 13.8 BILLION years to pick from to come into existence, seemed to wait until the last few hundred years to trigger the start of what is clearly an ongoing process?

. whatsapp plus

Methinks that the authors have a tremendous backstory to reveal

The biology of animals followed arbitrary patterns or varied widely in ways that were not beneficial to their survival. Basically, Creation would be very different from how it is today.
Post by ennanirm   » Mon May 16, 2022 6:01 am

ennanirm
Midshipman

kylegreewon wrote:
BlakeAntonio wrote:I find it odd that both Arcana and Sharona seem to only have a single portal each, whereas just about every other connected universe seems to have two or more.

How did the multiverse 'know' that these two inhabited 'verses only needed one portal, and that they were to be the 'starting point' for civilized exploration?

And how is it that the portals, with 13.8 BILLION years to pick from to come into existence, seemed to wait until the last few hundred years to trigger the start of what is clearly an ongoing process?

.https://playapkpro.com/

evidence for intelligent design would be if there was no lineage between species, they sprang fully formed in the historical record all at the same time; if there were no explainable causal chain for the formation of the world or life; if animal biology followed arbitrary patterns or varied widely in ways that were not at all beneficial to their own survival. In short, Creation would look almost nothing like our present world.

Darwinism says the appearance of design is illusory; intelligent design says it's real. You have two competing hypotheses trying to explain the same piece of evidence.
Post by Lostsoul   » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:39 am

Lostsoul
Midshipman

adamrosengard wrote:

FM Whatsapp

. Whatsapp Plus

The biology of animals followed arbitrary patterns or varied widely in ways that were not beneficial to their survival. Basically, Creation would be very different from how it is today.

I do have same opinion as you. Cause the patterns of life and environment are very different from today.
Last edited by Lostsoul on Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Owlish52   » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:12 pm

Owlish52
Midshipman

Re the underwater portals, my (retired) engineering mind goes 'Nope, not happening'. While above-ground portals have some issues with air flow, airs' compressible nature offers some not-unreasonable 'dodges'. That nasty water does not - high density, essentially incompressible, highly erosive at velocity. While even a fairly high elevation difference with air doesn't generate that great a differential pressure (1000' asl, dP ~ 0.5 psi), water generates a much higher dP with elevation (100' depth ~43.3 psi). Higher dP => higher flow => higher velocity. While a partially above-ground portal would likely cause very little erosion, an undersea portal would try very hard to become round and wide-open (see water vrs mountain - water wins 10 of 10). A high change in elevation across the portal would also impact sea levels on both worlds to a noticeable extent.

Possible cure with minimal use of handwavium (aka Author's Secret Magic) - limit dP across the portal to say 3 PSI. This is a very mild limit in the atmosphere (say sea level to 6000', or 3000' to 10000') but a severe limit under water (~7' difference in depth). The portal simply couldn't open if the dP were too high.

I still do not think submerged portals are a Good Thing, but it's not my universe . . .
Post by rockjonn   » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:09 am

rockjonn
Midshipman

Louis R wrote:It appears from the story recently posted on baen.com that both worlds have more portals, including one that connects them directly - but they're entirely below sea level.

You're also overlooking the fact that we are very unlikely to have seen the other places with only one known portal [IIRC, the world the boy Voice and others retreat to is one, actually] for the simple reason that they _aren't_ on the route from Arcana to Sharona. Which, up to this point, makes them largely irrelevant to the story.

technologywell wrote:I find it odd that both Arcana and Sharona seem to only have a single portal each, whereas just about every other connected universe seems to have two or more.

I love this amazing story![url="https://aeroapp.net/fmwhatsapp-download-apk/"]FM whatsapp[/url]

[url="https://aeroapp.net/gbwhatsapp-download/"]GB whatsapp[/url]

The recent baen.com story unveils additional portals connecting worlds beneath sea level. Other unexplored places, like the boy Voice's retreat, may be less relevant due to their absence on Arcana-Sharona route.
Post by sandy25   » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:46 am

sandy25
Midshipman

GodYato wrote:Hey, thanks for doing this forum. It's a great question that is there an intelligent design to the universe or multiverse. I recently came up with an idea with my study and I found out that
in recent decades, many scientists have discovered that our universe is just right for life. To understand this fine-tuning, imagine a control panel with dozens of dials. Also, to allow life, each dial that controls one property of nature must be properly tuned within a narrow range.

First of all, I'm so sorry I know this is an old discussion but the topic is very important I am appealing to the admin. Please approve my post, Thanks Does the seemingly perfect conditions for life in our universe point to a designer, or could countless universes explain this "fine-tuning"?

Return to Multiverse