Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Repost of Ringo on Facebook

The "Prince Roger" books, co-authored by David and John Ringo, are a well-loved series...join us for further conversations!
Re: Repost of Ringo on Facebook
Post by Hank Plantagenet   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Hank Plantagenet
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

inspector17 wrote:Really like the series. Can't get one idea out of my head. I seem to remember a book or series of books about Amanda becoming the Empress in something called The Dagger Years? Am I thinking of something else? might have been put out by Tor or Ace?

I have not seen that if it is in print. I remember there was talk of creating a story arc for that instead of continuing on with the Emperor Roger line of work.
Post by FriarBob   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:19 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Hank Plantagenet wrote:
inspector17 wrote:Really like the series. Can't get one idea out of my head. I seem to remember a book or series of books about Amanda becoming the Empress in something called The Dagger Years? Am I thinking of something else? might have been put out by Tor or Ace?

I have not seen that if it is in print. I remember there was talk of creating a story arc for that instead of continuing on with the Emperor Roger line of work.

That was, at one point, the plan for the series INSTEAD of continuing the adventures of Prince Roger. It appears the fans caterwauled enough to get the plans changed. And I have to mostly agree. I mean, I wouldn't MIND hearing the story of the origination of the Empire. But I'd much rather see the bad guys they've already established "get theirs" first. And I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints get smashed up too.
Post by Fireflair   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I like the idea of seeing the war with the Saints get taken care of. There's even plenty of ground work laid to it.

Part of the plan to get off Mardook involved an agreement between Captain Beach and Prince Roger. She asked, in return for piloting the Saint ship, that if ever Roger had the opportunity to go after the Saints, that he do so. Destroy the system they live by.

Roger agreed that if he ever fought a war with the Saints, not that he would go hunting one, it would be a war to the knife.
Post by Hank Plantagenet   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:57 am

Hank Plantagenet
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Fireflair wrote:I like the idea of seeing the war with the Saints get taken care of. There's even plenty of ground work laid to it.

Part of the plan to get off Mardook involved an agreement between Captain Beach and Prince Roger. She asked, in return for piloting the Saint ship, that if ever Roger had the opportunity to go after the Saints, that he do so. Destroy the system they live by.

Roger agreed that if he ever fought a war with the Saints, not that he would go hunting one, it would be a war to the knife.

There is textev that Roger has a couple of captured Saint ships now under his control. If I remember correctly, Prince Jackson's home sector borders the Saints. These facts certainly leave open the possibility of false flag operations in order to get the Saints and the rebel fleet shooting at one another. :twisted:
Post by boballab   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:12 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

FriarBob wrote:That was, at one point, the plan for the series INSTEAD of continuing the adventures of Prince Roger. It appears the fans caterwauled enough to get the plans changed. And I have to mostly agree. I mean, I wouldn't MIND hearing the story of the origination of the Empire. But I'd much rather see the bad guys they've already established "get theirs" first. And I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints get smashed up too.

Actually the reason that we are getting more Prince Roger and not Miranda had nothing to do with the fans but entirely with John Ringo. From what is on the bar Ringo went back and reread the entire Empire of Man series to get himself ready to write the Miranda/Dagger Years book. When he got to the end of We Few, he said "That's it? Where's the rest?". It was then Ringo got with RFC and they decided to follow on from We Few. Hell there was a rule in Ringo's Tavern on Baen's Bar that you couldn't even mention the Empire of Man series there and had been there for years before the decision for a new Prince Roger book was made. Here is the text from the Bar:
Secondly and only in the Tavern, the restriction banning the asking of the question "When is the next book in the?" BOOK SERIES THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED (namely the Empire of Man series, aka the Prince Roger Series, aka the March Series, which contain the books, "March Upcountry", "March to the Sea", March to the Stars", and "We Few") has been lifted, as of LibertyCon 25, I asked Mr. Ringo outright if we can ask again and he said yes, we can. Needless to say that there is one planned. Actually more than one, three actually last I heard. Recently Mr. Ringo has been re-reading his works in preparation for his writing season and was reading "We Few" and when he got to the end Mr. Ringo apparently exclaimed: "That's it?! Where's the rest?!" So now, and again according to Mr. Ringo it will start off right from the throne room, beyond that I do not know. However, since the next one will definitely not be out for another year, expected release of Dec. of 2013 or 2014, so asking the question now or until its release is still moot as you now have a time frame. Asking of this question may still result in the Tavern-master declining to post more snippets of his works. I cannot say for sure if it will happen, but it sounds like a credible threat, Ms. Miriam Ringo herself (Mr. Ringo's Wife, congrats by the way) has alluded that this is actually feasible, so please do not push the issue. Now that is not to say that you cannot discuss said series, just that now you can ask the question regarding the Series That Must Not Be Named, I am now officially relieved of duty. And now that the sticky is active, no one will have to do a monthly post again. I will still check in occasionally if there are posts, as this is still officially one of my posts, so technically I am responsible for the content.

http://bar.baen.com/index.php?t=msg&th=88958&start=0&

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by feyhunde   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:28 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

FriarBob wrote:Haven't read the zombie stuff yet, nor Troy or Circumstances. Not sure if I dare.

The zombie stuff gets occasionally political. I've not been sucked into buying the whole thing yet, but I've read good snippets.

Troy I really like, there's some of Ringo's politics that I go eh at (especially book 3's focus on culture), but it's an interesting set up, I really like the tech struggles.

Special Circumstances I liked the first book, but a political joke in the second one so pulled me out of it, I stopped reading it.
Post by HB of CJ   » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:19 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Roger needs to sit down and think smart. Maybe he can get those cute dinky mind reading lizard aliens allies to start influencing minds as well as reading them?

Then hire off a bunch of them as deep spies to get the Traitor fleet to attack the Saints and the other way around. Might just work as a two for one grand strategy.

That would buy Roger some time for the graphic but necessary house cleaning very close to home. Promises made, promises kept. Dogzard is going to gain weight.

If his sword gets dull and his arm tired, maybe he can also employ Patty as a sobering method of executing high traitors? You know, the fun Patty romp stomp shuffle? :)

Return to Empire of Man