Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

What will the next book be about

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Re: What will the next book be about
Post by USNavy   » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:28 pm

USNavy
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I would definately love to see DW write another book or two in this series. Loved all three books! He left open alot of possible plots with it as well. Prequels are a natural spot (a 50,000+ year long mutineer/civil war on earth offers alot of possibilites!)

Also the fact that he stated in the book that some of the ships fled the Imperium suggests that perhaps their are some other 'human empires' out there, as well as the Achuultanni. What would happen if the new Imperium were to come in contact with them? How would Colin (or his heirs) deal with that. How would those others react to find out there is a new Emperor, with mother as their throne.

Just me, but I can see alot of plots for this series. Though of course, how DW would take it would be the best treat! I can always see plots for Honorverse, and then DW just makes it so much better than I could ever imagine :)
Post by ka8wtk   » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm

ka8wtk

Need more, need more....
I hope David writes more in this series. The present books beg for a follow-up. As Dahak said "Will there be a reply?"
Post by Kthaara   » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Kthaara
Midshipman

I will be happy, if the next book will continue things that, IMHO, no complete. But Trilogy is complete. End of story.
In other hand I know, that using someone Universe as background is stealing, but I wrote some episodes what maybe happened if Dahak wasn't ended. My dream is to contact Weber himself (via email) and ask for permission to continue or to receive order to denay.
Kthaara. From Poland.

PS Someone know, how to contact Author? Directly isn't forced.
Post by exolethrév̱ei   » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 pm

exolethrév̱ei

ka8wtk wrote:Need more, need more....
I hope David writes more in this series. The present books beg for a follow-up. As Dahak said "Will there be a reply?"

Both my brother and I agree without reservations. The Achuultani are still out there, there are two more kids in the Imperial family, and the ending would be a truly cruel way to finish a series...and Weber is not, in my opinion, cruel. Besides, I saw somewhere on this site (David's Dimension, maybe?) That he was planing on finishing the series, but he is more focused on the Honorverse at the moment.
Post by OldSciFiFan   » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm

OldSciFiFan
Midshipman

Would be nice to have at least one more book to "clean up" the ending at Pardal.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:01 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

OldSciFiFan wrote:Would be nice to have at least one more book to "clean up" the ending at Pardal.

DW generally doesn't have clean endings in his books. The nearest that I can think of is Apocalypse Troll and that isn't very clean really. He just doesn't believe in Happily Ever After IMO.

Actually this one is better than average. The Kids kicked ... and took names then told dad he had a new world for the Empire. Oh good luck overcoming about 5,000 years of development while incorporating them. Except for the true enemy good old Master Computer.

But that is about as DW ever gets. He doesn't want to bore us with the next 100,000 words on how it happens.

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Colin   » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Colin
Midshipman

I am eager for a new book. Are we going to get it? Unlikely. There is little doubt in my mind that these are the books that sprung the idea of Safehold. Too many similarities.

That said, this is my favorite Weber saga and Inheritance is one of my all time favorite sci-fi books (in my almost unhealthy addiction, I've amassed over 60 in about 4yrs). Point of fact, it's the book that made me put Weber on a pedestal of my select few (I wrote names, but deleted them; somehow doesn't seem right on a site dedicated to a writer I admire).

I clearly recall the giddy excitement and childish curiosity when Colin and team found the Emperor's old flotilla: dozens of ships more massive than Dahak and almost infinitely better armed. Fast as hell too! God, I don't think I'll ever get tired of reading that passage or that book for that matter. Chernikov and his engineers marveling through these behemoths: it was like Rama, only more exciting from a military point of view. With every jaw-dropping discovery, you think, I can't wait to use these on the Achultanni. They've been beating up on poor Nergal (a mere parasite of Dahak), wait until I unleash this on you! Then you get a chance. Then you see how well Weber matched the two: pure numbers vs. Colin's technologically superior, but tiny fleet. Simply awesome.

In a new installment, I'd like to see more of that.

After all, the Achultanni and their evil, enslaving AI are still out there. The AI must be neutralized. We can well see Dahak being able to produce at least one more like him? With Mother in full production mode, I can only marvel at the kinds of hulks they can produce to take to wherever that AI is hiding. I don't know about others, but another match up of sheer numbers vs. vastly superior tech would be fine by me. As others said, from there you hope some Achultanni see humanity as liberators after removal from the AI and they join on a hunt for the nest killers (are these the Gbaba from Safehold)?

Unfortunately for me, there is not much chance of this. Basically, there would need to be some consolidation/reconciliation between the 2 series. Again, unlikely. Safehold is far too popular and, to be fair, it would be unjust for Weber to do it. But no one said I can't dream about it :)
Post by biochem   » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:09 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Taking on the Achultanni is definately in the cards, however there is too much prep work to be done before they're ready. Breeding enough humans to run the planetoids for a start. So unless the next book skips centuries, it is likely to focus on something else. Perhaps finding more planets with people? There were millions of refugee ship. If even <0.001% of them were uninfected they could have estabilished new colonies by now. Of course as the ships were hastely assembled with no prep time, the colonies wouldn't have the proper equipment to found a world. But humans are creative and manage to survive all sorts of situations where they shouldn't.
Post by zuluwiz   » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am

zuluwiz
Commander

There is no shortage of humans, no breeding will be needed to man the ships. What is needed will be enhancement facilities. Plus more ships, of course, but they are building more planetoids. I can see a need for scout planetoids, smaller than the Battle Fleet units, faster, and with better stealth capabilities. After all, to free the enslaved Achuultan, you first need to find them.
Post by Mortehl   » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:41 am

Mortehl

I tend to agree with this post. My reasoning is that the writing makes it clear that Colin was already thinking in terms of dynasty. I can easily foresee several scenarios centuries into the future --

1) The Terran branch of the Imperium runs into the Fifth -empire-, infighting occurs, new great visits, humanity unites, et cetera.

2) Several worlds of individual star nations are found and folded into the newly 'evil' Fifth Imperium which has lost sight of the goals set by the Colin dynasty.. Dahak in mothballs, some lowly deck swabber or something finds and reactivates Dahak and they together strike off on adventure and save the species.

3) A straight logical progression of build up and we go kick the AI's ass.

biochem wrote:Taking on the Achultanni is definately in the cards, however there is too much prep work to be done before they're ready. Breeding enough humans to run the planetoids for a start. So unless the next book skips centuries, it is likely to focus on something else. Perhaps finding more planets with people? There were millions of refugee ship. If even <0.001% of them were uninfected they could have estabilished new colonies by now. Of course as the ships were hastely assembled with no prep time, the colonies wouldn't have the proper equipment to found a world. But humans are creative and manage to survive all sorts of situations where they shouldn't.

Return to Dahak