Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

What will the next book be about

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Re: What will the next book be about
Post by MikeTn1   » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 am

MikeTn1
Midshipman

I would like to see a couple of scenes added to Heirs of Empire before DW write the next book in the series. I would like to see more of the final battle of the Temple and the "restoration" of Pardal as a member of the Empire.

What would I like to see in the next book? A final end to the menace of the Achuultani. Sean and his companions on Pardal could take the lead in that book.... perhaps Admiral His Imperial Highness Sean Horus MacIntyre in charge?
Post by Donnachaidh   » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

He has said that he wants to write more but doesn't know when/if he will be able to. He's said that he plans for them to go find and defeat the Battle Comp AI thing and for it to cause the original nest killers to show. He's also said he'd like to write more about the war between Horus' group and Anu's group.

FORSAKEN wrote:Weber has been quoted as saying there is at least one more book in the Dahak series. What would everyone like to see it be about?
Personally I would like to see the original Nest killers show up and the humans would have to ally with thier former enemies to fight off this new invasion.
Post by CougRon   » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:19 pm

CougRon
Midshipman

Agreed, I'd love to see at least one if not more followups to Heirs of Empire and find out exactly how Pardal shook out and the fight against the Achuultanni master computer. Whenever I've heard talk of the next book though I'm always told of David wanting to do a prequel next that takes place during the War of the Roses (15th century England.)
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:44 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

CougRon wrote:Agreed, I'd love to see at least one if not more followups to Heirs of Empire and find out exactly how Pardal shook out and the fight against the Achuultanni master computer. Whenever I've heard talk of the next book though I'm always told of David wanting to do a prequel next that takes place during the War of the Roses (15th century England.)

I think like the Prince Roger stuff a Pardal followup is nice but it is going to be less like the rest. Fill in the details about who ended up in charge and who married who but the real fighting is done. Its all politics now which can be very interesting but will be different.

I am of 2 minds about the Master Computer. I mean what ~80 planetiods destroyed something like 3 million ships. What is the Fifth up to now most being refit to be better even against a stagnant if stronger foe. Battles in the second book were thrilling but the battle for earth was the best until the cavalry showed up.

So in my mind not a lot to write about there. YMMV
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by wolfmanjack   » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:18 pm

wolfmanjack
Midshipman

I said this recently in another post but ill say it again. prequels are all good ... AFTER the main story is done. But mehh Prequels don't do much for the main storyline. Sure they give background but .. Mehh i would much rather the story go FOREWORD rather then backward. He is the Author though and the community/readers have no say really over what he decides to do in the long run.
Post by exolethrév̱ei   » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:43 am

exolethrév̱ei
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Keymaster564 is correct. If you read the books closely, you will note that the leader of the main fleet recognizes the planetoids as the "spaceships of the Demon-Nest Killers from the Demon Sector". Remember, the Achuultani have engaged the various Imperiums at several points, and been forced to withdraw each time. Based on the evidence shown in the books, it is safe to assume one of the earlier Imperiums are the Demon Nest-Killers.
Post by Rook13   » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Rook13
Ensign

exolethrév̱ei wrote:Keymaster564 is correct. If you read the books closely, you will note that the leader of the main fleet recognizes the planetoids as the "spaceships of the Demon-Nest Killers from the Demon Sector". Remember, the Achuultani have engaged the various Imperiums at several points, and been forced to withdraw each time. Based on the evidence shown in the books, it is safe to assume one of the earlier Imperiums are the Demon Nest-Killers.

Actually, 'Demon' refers to the significant combat prowess of the prior Imperiums encountered by previous expeditions of Achuultani. 'Nest-killer' covers any other species that might pose a threat (eventually) to the Nest, i.e. any sentient or pre-sentient species.
Post by Rsuthe   » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Rsuthe
Midshipman

I don't really care too much for prequels. They can be good to read and give you more information about a certain time frame, event, or perspective on current events, but other than that they have no bearing on the storyline progression.

What I would like to see in the next book is the kids come back to Birhat. They start the process of bringing the Pardal people into the Imperium. I'm sure there will be places of conflict there. With changing an entire society overnight that is. I'm sure it won't be more than a foot note, but could be nice to read about. I want them to continue to search more of the 1500+ planets of the old empire, continue to build up there battle fleet, and go find the Achuultani, and liberate and/or destroy who and what they have to to win it the right way.

With going after the Achuultani, they are going to need hundreds of planetoids. Probably more like 3-5 thousand of them. Lets face it, you need many times the amount of firepower to attack than to defend. When they took on the first fleet, they were defending. They knew where they were coming from and where they would leave hyper space. That means they sat in ambush for them, that is a battle of defense. Also, remember that they killed half of that fleet by destroying a star. So, it was more like 70 or so planetoids against 1.2-1.5 million ships. All of them totally inferior to those of the empire. Granted there was such a force level imbalance that they almost lost. They are going to be going up against master computer itself and all of the defenses it has put in place to defend itself against any conceivable threat. The Imperium is not only trying to destroy the master computer but liberate the enslaved Achuultani. That means it becomes harder than just a search and annihilate them battle operation.

I have also heard people talking like the Imperium was the original nest killers. I don't believe this for a couple of reasons. One, they were called the "Demon Nest-Killers" and came from the "Demon Sector". Two, the original nest killers are referred to as "The Great Nest-Killers", that makes us just another race that has given them huge problems. Three, if you remember in the books they have been trying for 73 million years to kill every other race and in the book it was stated that the beginning of man on Mycos was only between 100,000 and 250,000 years ago.(My numbers may be slightly off, been a while since I read the books) Fourth, it was stated that the Imperium and Empire believed they were of extra-galactic origin.

Of course there is no telling what David Weber will decide to do in his next book. I do know most of the people who have posted here are of the same mind set as me in that they want it to continue with the liberation of the enslaved Achuultani and the destruction of the master computer. After that is accomplished I think the best thing to do is end the series before it starts becoming a milking for money series. Going after the Great Nest Killers or having them show up after 73 million years sound to much like a, I want to milk my fans for money with buying more of my books. I do hope that he isn't thinking this because he is probably the best Sci-fi writer I have ever read. I would hate to lose faith in him.
Post by rdt   » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:09 pm

rdt
Commodore

I just finished re-reading Inheritance and Heirs and I feel that DW is a far better writer now than he was when these books were written. If he just leaves the Dahak trilogy as it is and goes off and does Honorverse and Safehold books with a foray into one-offs or maybe a sequel to Fury, that's fine with me.
Post by zuluwiz   » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:18 pm

zuluwiz
Commander

I believe the Original Nest-Killers and the Aku-Ultan were both from a different galaxy. A remnant of Aku-Ultan made the trip across the intergalactic gulf to this galaxy and found the humans here. Going to find the Original Nest-Killers will mean first defeating Battle Comp and then discovering which galaxy was the home of the Aku-Ultan. THEN you can take a couple thousand planetoids and go looking for trouble.

More important is to explore the entire spiral arm of this galaxy and try to find out where the other 99,000 planetoids of the Fourth Empire got to. The odds would indicate that at least a few got away clean and established themselves somewhere. Most of them will be drifting in the void between the stars.

Return to Dahak