Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Questions unresolved - Spoilers

Jerry Pournelle’s Janissaries series is alive and well. Drop in to discuss it and — especially— the latest addition: Mamelukes by Jerry himself with a little posthumous help from Phillip Pournelle and David!
Questions unresolved - Spoilers
Post by WES   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 am

WES
Ensign

Other than the long term question of human survival on Earth, Tran, et al., a number of other questions are/were left hanging by J.P. and/or the "authors" who completed J.P.'s final opus.

1. Why did Lorraine Santori have to leave Earth?
2. Early mention by Saxon of fact that text on brain surgery was included and then Harrison suffers depressed skull fracture at the end. J.P. planned trepanning Harrison as an illustration of the knowledge contained in the Containers?
3. Mathias "knew" that second group of mercenaries were coming before they arrived.
4. Catarina (Lucia's older sister) connects with Warner and then he is killed - J.P. or "authors" decision? Either? Both?
5. Existence of "traitor" in communication with Mathias? Who and how. Communications device?

I surely wish those discontinuities/questions had been more fully developed, and that I knew who made the decisions - J.P. or the "authors".
Re: Questions unresolved - Spoilers
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:46 am

Peregrinator
Commander

The Santori storyline was definitely left unresolved ... I don't know whether or not that was deliberate. But there was a lot of foreshadowing there, including Rick's remarks about possible treachery in the planning before the battle. And Matthias is still floating around, as well as possibly Prince Akkilas? And so is Lord Morrone (Wanax Ganton's companion).
Post by justdave   » Sat May 16, 2020 1:11 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

I guess if you’re going to ‘plagiarize’ nothing wrong with using Pournelle!

If you enjoyed the ending of Prince of Sparta you’ll enjoy Mameluke, likewise King David’s Spaceship with the continuing saga of Tran
Post by Keith_w   » Sat May 30, 2020 9:20 am

Keith_w
Commodore

there is obviously plenty of room to continue the series.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Mamelukes