Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Taiwan is China's Ukraine

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Taiwan is China's Ukraine
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

https://warontherocks.com/2022/10/ukrai ... nightmare/

And the US sends six B-52's to Australia amid mounting tensions with China. Can't we all just get along.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Taiwan is China's Ukraine
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:36 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Attacking Ukraine attacks the oil market in the US.

Attacking Taiwan attacks the chip market in the US.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:04 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:https://warontherocks.com/2022/10/ukraines-dream-could-be-taiwans-nightmare/

And the US sends six B-52's to Australia amid mounting tensions with China. Can't we all just get along.

Apparently getting along is no fun... We've been bored lately... I'm afraid that the Chinese economy is boxed in right now with the ban on selling the tools for making the boards for chips. That may well crowd China into an attack on Taiwan who is world class at this sort of thing. Biden has said he will defend Taiwan if that happens... So we'll see.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by The E   » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:07 am

The E
Admiral

n7axw wrote:I'm afraid that the Chinese economy is boxed in right now with the ban on selling the tools for making the boards for chips. That may well crowd China into an attack on Taiwan who is world class at this sort of thing. Biden has said he will defend Taiwan if that happens... So we'll see.

Nah, that's silly. China will attack Taiwan as soon as they think they can get away with it, meaning that a) they think they have a good chance of carrying out an opposed landing across the taiwan strait, b) they think that the US will not materially intervene and c) they believe that they can restore their existing relationships with the rest of the world afterwards. This has nothing to do with them feeling boxed in by any one embargo, and all to do with the underlying ideology of chinese unification; personally, I'd start really worrying about it in 5 or 6 years, when Xi Jinping starts to feel his time running out, because that's about the same time that Putin started feeling adventurous regarding Ukraine.
(Also, there's a better-than-even chance that there's going to be a change in US leadership by then; a GOP president will be much less likely to offer vigorous opposition to chinese expansionism than a democrat one)
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
cthia wrote:https://warontherocks.com/2022/10/ukraines-dream-could-be-taiwans-nightmare/

Apparently getting along is no fun... We've been bored lately... I'm afraid that the Chinese economy is boxed in right now with the ban on selling the tools for making the boards for chips. That may well crowd China into an attack on Taiwan who is world class at this sort of thing. Biden has said he will defend Taiwan if that happens... So we'll see.

Don

-

Reminds me of the foreign policy that enticed the Japanese to attack.

Many of my friends thought China would make its move when Obama was in office. They thought Obama would flinch. Bush would have landed a B-52 right inside Taiwan if he thought it would help. LOL

Anyway, protecting Taiwan is not so straightforward as Ukraine. Taiwan does not share borders with an ally. The US would have to enter Chinese airspace.

Taiwan could be the nexxus to WWIII, which would give Made in Taiwan a whole new meaning.

Post by n7axw   » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Given it's economy and demographics, China is at the peak of its power right now... The longer they wait, the weaker they become...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Politics