Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Clean up the voter rolls after dying of Covid

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Clean up the voter rolls after dying of Covid
Post by Senior Chief   » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

According to the U.S. CDC the U.S. death toll is the world's highest, even though the country has less than 5 percent of the world's population. There have been 400,103 U.S. deaths from Covid-19.

Any death is tragic but what will be more tragic is if none of these individuals are removed from the voter rolls and they become zombies and vote in ongoing future elections.

I know in the county I live in they can not clean up the voter rolls after a normal deaths. What needs to happen is some mechanism that when the morgue issues a deaths certificate the county register of voters is notified as well so that the rolls can be cleaned up.

If not the dead shall rise again and again and vote more than once. I know. My brother-in-law has been dead for 13 years and we still get absentee ballots sent to the house even after we tried to have his name removed.
Re: Clean up the voter rolls after dying of Covid
Post by gcomeau   » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:08 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:According to the U.S. CDC the U.S. death toll is the world's highest, even though the country has less than 5 percent of the world's population. There have been 400,103 U.S. deaths from Covid-19.

Any death is tragic but what will be more tragic is if none of these individuals are removed from the voter rolls and they become zombies and vote in ongoing future elections.

This. Isn't. A. Thing.

:roll:
Post by Annachie   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:12 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The only time this was a thing in the last 40 years, the dead rose and voted Republican.

Side Show Bob for mayor :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:07 am

The E
Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:I know in the county I live in they can not clean up the voter rolls after a normal deaths. What needs to happen is some mechanism that when the morgue issues a deaths certificate the county register of voters is notified as well so that the rolls can be cleaned up.

Here's a simple solution: Create a federal ID system that everyone is automatically enrolled in at birth, with a requirement for citizens to register themselves whenever they move to a new place. Simple, easy, and probably unpalatable to americans infected with "muh liberty" brainworms.

And yeah, overall this just isn't a big problem. It happens, occasionally. People also get hit by lightning, occasionally. About five times as much as dead people get to cast votes, if you were curious.
Post by Arol   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 am

Arol
Captain of the List

Senior Chief wrote:According to the U.S. CDC the U.S. death toll is the world's highest, even though the country has less than 5 percent of the world's population. There have been 400,103 U.S. deaths from Covid-19.

I know in the county I live in they can not clean up the voter rolls after a normal deaths. What needs to happen is some mechanism that when the morgue issues a deaths certificate the county register of voters is notified as well so that the rolls can be cleaned up.

If not the dead shall rise again and again and vote more than once. I know. My brother-in-law has been dead for 13 years and we still get absentee ballots sent to the house even after we tried to have his name removed.

What a load of absurdity! :roll:
You’re worried that at some future time that there will be the “possibility” of election irregularity. That the “dead” will arise to cast a ballot; not something that hasn’t happened before, at the behest of either of your political parties!
You bring up such a petty concern while over 400,000 of your citizens have been killed by the scourge that is sweeping across the world, and that tens of thousands will inevitably join them.
That your nation that should have been in the forefront combatting it, instead is the nation that is the worst afflicted!
Why is your unease centered on what may; or may not, happen at some future time, instead of reflecting on what; or rather who caused such a situation to arise?
Post by zyffyr   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 am

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Arol wrote:What a load of absurdity! :roll:
You’re worried that at some future time that there will be the “possibility” of election irregularity. That the “dead” will arise to cast a ballot; not something that hasn’t happened before, at the behest of either of your political parties!
You bring up such a petty concern while over 400,000 of your citizens have been killed by the scourge that is sweeping across the world, and that tens of thousands will inevitably join them.
That your nation that should have been in the forefront combatting it, instead is the nation that is the worst afflicted!
Why is your unease centered on what may; or may not, happen at some future time, instead of reflecting on what; or rather who caused such a situation to arise?

You know what is truly absurd? Someone pulling the Fallacy of Relative Privation out and expecting people to take them seriously.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:45 am

Joat42
Admiral

zyffyr wrote:
Arol wrote:What a load of absurdity! :roll:

You know what is truly absurd? Someone pulling the Fallacy of Relative Privation out and expecting people to take them seriously.

You might have had a point if they weren't talking about the same root-problem.

If your house is on fire, you don't complain about the possibility that your neighbors will come and steal the leftovers after it burned down, you concentrate on putting the fire out to save as much as possible.

So no, it's not a fallacy of relative privation.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by zyffyr   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:22 pm

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Joat42 wrote:You might have had a point if they weren't talking about the same root-problem.

If your house is on fire, you don't complain about the possibility that your neighbors will come and steal the leftovers after it burned down, you concentrate on putting the fire out to save as much as possible.

The fact that Covid is mentioned in both doesn't make them actually the same root problem.

In the voting issue, it is really just an excuse to get something done that SHOULD already happen - and in most countries is considered fairly standard. Dead people should be removed from voting rolls. The fact that they don't in the US (combined with the fact that one specific political party actively fights against attempts to do so), leads to the accusations of "The Dead are voting! Fraud! Fraud! Fraud!". Note that I am not saying that there really are significant numbers of dead votes being cast, but the possibility does exist. Like Senior Chief, at least one of my relatives (step-father in my case) continues to receive mail-in ballots despite being dead for over a decade. I also receive one for the prior resident of my home who has been dead for about 17 years. We both are law abiding people and shred them, but how many others get them and do they do the same?

This isn't worrying that someone might steal from your house while it is burning down. It is noticing that you left your car door open and wandering over to close it while the fire department deals with the burning house. Sure, you only noticed the car door was still open because the fire forced you outside but the house fire didn't cause it.

It really truly is relative privation, since dealing with one will not in any way waste time or resources that might be better used on the other. Nor will fixing one help the other in any way.
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:The only time this was a thing in the last 40 years, the dead rose and voted Republican.

Side Show Bob for mayor :)

:lol: Dammit Anna! :lol: Make it stop! :lol:

The walking dead are still voting Republican. They don't like all the money and healthcare the Democrats want to spend on the living.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:46 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

zyffyr wrote:
Joat42 wrote:You might have had a point if they weren't talking about the same root-problem.

The fact that Covid is mentioned in both doesn't make them actually the same root problem.

In the voting issue, it is really just an excuse to get something done that SHOULD already happen - and in most countries is considered fairly standard. Dead people should be removed from voting rolls. The fact that they don't in the US

Yes they do.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections ... x#deceased

(combined with the fact that one specific political party actively fights against attempts to do so),

No they don't. Literally NOBODY is ever arguing not to remove dead people from voter rolls. Like, ever.

leads to the accusations of "The Dead are voting! Fraud! Fraud! Fraud!".

No, the understanding that certain people are gullible enough to believe that nonsense and that if you tell them it's happening you can get them all worked up and mobilized on your behalf leads to accusations of "The Dead Are Voting! Fraud! Fraud!"

Which is a very different thing. Let's not pretend that there is any honesty underlying the motives of the people who start spreading that idiocy. There isn't.

Return to Politics