Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Clean up the voter rolls after dying of Covid

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Clean up the voter rolls after dying of Covid
Post by Arol   » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:34 pm

Arol
Captain of the List

zyffyr wrote:
Arol wrote:What a load of absurdity! :roll:
You’re worried that at some future time that there will be the “possibility” of election irregularity. That the “dead” will arise to cast a ballot; not something that hasn’t happened before, at the behest of either of your political parties!
You bring up such a petty concern while over 400,000 of your citizens have been killed by the scourge that is sweeping across the world, and that tens of thousands will inevitably join them.
That your nation that should have been in the forefront combatting it, instead is the nation that is the worst afflicted!
Why is your unease centered on what may; or may not, happen at some future time, instead of reflecting on what; or rather who caused such a situation to arise?

You know what is truly absurd? Someone pulling the Fallacy of Relative Privation out and expecting people to take them seriously.

Never having any debating experience I had to look up the definition.
So yes guilty as charged! :oops:
It just pissed me off on a visceral level that someone would bring up such a petty matter, while thousands in your country are dying every day due to criminal neglect and mismanagement. Also I had the nagging thought it was a lead in to more crap about false ballots and stolen election etc.,
So again sorry about that!
Post by n7axw   » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:10 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Virtually every system messes up and stuff falls through the cracks, so yes dead peoples ballots could end up being used, but I doubt that it's really a serious problem,..

Notification of death routinely to the county's Register of Records at which time the name is checked against such things as drivers licences, voter registrations, etc and appropriate action taken. I would imagine that by now the system is computerized. Probably not much is slipping past...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by The E   » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:07 am

The E
Admiral

zyffyr wrote:You know what is truly absurd? Someone pulling the Fallacy of Relative Privation out and expecting people to take them seriously.

Hmm.

So, in absolute terms, voter rolls not being cleaned up and maintained as well as they could be isn't a huge issue. We know that the actual incidence rates of this leading to invalid votes being cast is incredibly low, literally in the "dozens of cases over decades" range. There are no instances in recent memory of it being a large enough problem to actually affect the outcome of an election.

Also in absolute terms, COVID is an immense problem that hits all aspects of society and that has and will continue to expose weaknesses in infrastructure and public education. It's killed over 400000 people, it's going to kill thousands more each day, and so it's very much an acute crisis that demands attention.

"Dead people voting", frankly, doesn't. It's a bullshit talking point promoted by people who have a huge interest in restricting access to the vote as they can't win elections if they were held fairly.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:46 am

Joat42
Admiral

zyffyr wrote:The fact that Covid is mentioned in both doesn't make them actually the same root problem.

SeniorChief wrote:According to the U.S. CDC the U.S. death toll is the world's highest, even though the country has less than 5 percent of the world's population. There have been 400,103 U.S. deaths from Covid-19.

Any death is tragic but what will be more tragic is if none of these individuals are removed from the voter rolls and they become zombies and vote in ongoing future elections.

Now tell me that he doesn't explicitly say that due to COVID-19 deaths, those dead will vote in future elections?

If you want to call worrying about the dead piling up due to the shitty response to a pandemic vs some of those dead will vote in future elections relative privation, fine, but the thing is, neither is a best or worst case scenario.

zyffyr wrote:It really truly is relative privation, since dealing with one will not in any way waste time or resources that might be better used on the other. Nor will fixing one help the other in any way.

You are making an assumption here that diverting resources to one problem doesn't deprive resources from the other problem. If that doesn't hold true, your argument fails.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What Senior Chief doesn't realize is that if Covid deaths can be a means of voter fraud, then any death can. Be it from Murder. Suicide. Cancer. Pneumonia. HIV. Or simply heartache. And it would have been a problem long ago.

Death CAN be a vehicle of voter fraud. The death of democracy. The death of morals, scruples and values of a President. The death of national security against enemies both foreign and domestic. Seen and unseen. The death of sanity.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:20 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Years ago Toyota had a series of ads showing people doing crazy adventurous things, who were all Toyota Camry drivers. The idea was that if you have a totally reliable (if boring) car, you can indulge your passions elsewhere. Weird and probably not successful. However it did have a point.
All of you US citizens who are fixated on individual freedom should consider that the systems used by developed first world countries do give us more freedom.
A national electoral office that controls voter registration ensures that dead people don't vote (not that it is a major problem anyway).
A national Medicare system relieves the worry of illness being a burden, as a national welfare system covers extreme poverty.
National unfair dismissal laws and a living minimal wage, frees us from being in fear of bad bosses.
All in all we are much freer of worry and more empowered.
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Years ago Toyota had a series of ads showing people doing crazy adventurous things, who were all Toyota Camry drivers. The idea was that if you have a totally reliable (if boring) car, you can indulge your passions elsewhere. Weird and probably not successful. However it did have a point.
All of you US citizens who are fixated on individual freedom should consider that the systems used by developed first world countries do give us more freedom.
A national electoral office that controls voter registration ensures that dead people don't vote (not that it is a major problem anyway).
A national Medicare system relieves the worry of illness being a burden, as a national welfare system covers extreme poverty.
National unfair dismissal laws and a living minimal wage, frees us from being in fear of bad bosses.
All in all we are much freer of worry and more empowered.

Whoever said that size doesn't matter was not a female. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Politics