Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Buckle Up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Buckle Up
Post by Joat42   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:13 am

Joat42
Admiral

A tad off-topic but somewhat relevant:

The discussion about doddering old white men as leaders of a country reminds me of the old strategy game Kremlin/Кремль where the goal was to get your political animal up on the balcony for the October parade in Moscow and wave to the public three years in a row without him dying.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:I think what we have proven here is that the candidate doesn't matter. The Republicans could have nominated Dracula and he would have gotten as many votes as Trump.

Well, Democrats just run the successful test with living mummy, which could not even recall its own relatives...

Seriously, could they get less obvious figurehead?

n7axw wrote:I was referring to character issues...

But you are really hung up on the age thing, aren't you? Well to be truthful about it, I am not overly happy about it myself. I wish the ticket was flipped with Kamala in the lead position and Joe in the VP position as the wise old head offering advice. But it is what it is. I see Joe as a decent, honorable man who will obey rather than skirting the law. That is my big issue with Trump. And if it turns out that Joe can't do the job, Kamala is there.

Don

-

I think a lot of people wish the ticket was switched and wonder exactly why it wasn't. On a multi-line call, my sister says, somewhat paraphrasing, "Oh come on, you know full-well why it wasn't switched. The Democrats know that a certain segment of the population may not be ready for a female President. And even less ready for a Black female President atop a white male VP. That may be part of the reason Hillary lost. In essence, the Democrats were strategically employing one of the most common tactics in golf, which is to play it safe. The lay up." LOL

Besides, Kamala has the future to look forward to.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:58 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I do think that dumping Trump was foremost on the minds of voters in the primaries. Dealing with the racial and gender issues at the same time didn't seem the optimal way of doing that. The other male candidates seemed less than inspiring, except for Bernie who was a bit too far on the fringe and is older than Biden. So we get Biden by default.

I repeat myself... There is no secret cabal within the party to select candidates. The whole thing either lives or dies by the voters.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:12 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

n7axw wrote:I do think that dumping Trump was foremost on the minds of voters in the primaries. Dealing with the racial and gender issues at the same time didn't seem the optimal way of doing that. The other male candidates seemed less than inspiring, except for Bernie who was a bit too far on the fringe and is older than Biden. So we get Biden by default.

I repeat myself... There is no secret cabal within the party to select candidates. The whole thing either lives or dies by the voters.

Don

-

Yeah, the problem is not some kind of corrupt conspiracy to install specific nominees. The problem is Democrats suck at picking presidential candidates in general.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:00 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
n7axw wrote:I do think that dumping Trump was foremost on the minds of voters in the primaries. Dealing with the racial and gender issues at the same time didn't seem the optimal way of doing that. The other male candidates seemed less than inspiring, except for Bernie who was a bit too far on the fringe and is older than Biden. So we get Biden by default.

Don

-

Yeah, the problem is not some kind of corrupt conspiracy to install specific nominees. The problem is Democrats suck at picking presidential candidates in general.

Do you think we were better off in the olden days with the smoke filled rooms?

I keep wondering how we manage to get a completely boring, but smart and competent governor elected... someone like Jay Inslee comes to mind. I don't know, but for now I guess Joe will do. Maybe we could clone Barack... If you think we have problems, look at the other guys and the mess they have to cope with...

Don

-

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:23 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
gcomeau wrote:Yeah, the problem is not some kind of corrupt conspiracy to install specific nominees. The problem is Democrats suck at picking presidential candidates in general.

Do you think we were better off in the olden days with the smoke filled rooms?

Nope. I think we *would* be better off if Democrats learned how to pick candidates intelligently.

Biden was... alright. But face it he got picked on name recognition and his association with Obama. He's not an inspiring figure. The only reason turnout was what is was was in reaction to Trump.

And FFS don't get me started on nomination Clinton in a clear wave anti-establishment election year... which is what got us into this mess in the first place.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:38 pm

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:Biden hasn't won yet. Don't jinx it.

To be honest, Trump already won a moral victory, even if not the moral majority. Biden should have taken this thing by a landslide. What the hell is wrong with this country. Trump can still garner that many votes after his handling of the pandemic? I'm really considering fleeing this country before whatever the hell that is in the water supply affects me too.

The Senate race is a total surprise. Mitch McConell winning again is bewildering.

What is wrong with America is that some voters still have brains.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Yep and the brainless ones still voted for Trump for some reason...

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
cthia wrote:Biden hasn't won yet. Don't jinx it.

To be honest, Trump already won a moral victory, even if not the moral majority. Biden should have taken this thing by a landslide. What the hell is wrong with this country. Trump can still garner that many votes after his handling of the pandemic? I'm really considering fleeing this country before whatever the hell that is in the water supply affects me too.

The Senate race is a total surprise. Mitch McConell winning again is bewildering.

What is wrong with America is that some voters still have brains.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:21 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Moving past the interesting question of who has brains... There are a couple of things that are standing out to me.

As I sit here watching paint dry...

1. The polls were utterly worthless year... worse than 2016. Pollsters really do need to get their act together.

2. More amusingly, the major networks have become very timid about projecting winners. Could it be that they've had their fingers burned?

Don

-
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:08 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

n7axw wrote:The polls were utterly worthless

The main problem were the "shy voters", the ones who feared being shot by someone who didn't like how they intended to vote and thus either professed neutrality or simply lied.
The polls that used questions like "how do you think your friends, in general, will tend to vote" came a lot closer to reality as they were not asking for direct choice but general direction.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Politics