Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Trump's Tax Return

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Trump's Tax Return
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Thanks. The church mostly picked up the tab on my education. I paid some the first year. But after that, I learned how to shake the scholarship tree and for the remaining time, I didn't pay a dime except books. The entire program was 8 years, four of college and four of seminary. My college degree was in liberal arts with an emphasis in classical languages. Seminary was, obviously enough I guess, in theology, pastoral care, and Bible. What the church got out of the deal was a parish pastor, officially retired, but currently active half time.

Don

-

Er... I do not understand: what is liberal arts?
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:23 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:
Thanks. The church mostly picked up the tab on my education. I paid some the first year. But after that, I learned how to shake the scholarship tree and for the remaining time, I didn't pay a dime except books. The entire program was 8 years, four of college and four of seminary. My college degree was in liberal arts with an emphasis in classical languages. Seminary was, obviously enough I guess, in theology, pastoral care, and Bible. What the church got out of the deal was a parish pastor, officially retired, but currently active half time.

Don

-

hehe - google is your friend :-)

A liberal arts degree includes the study of history, literature, writing, philosophy, sociology, psychology, creative arts and more. Students who earn a liberal arts degree learn to formulate effective arguments, to communicate well and solve problems

as opposed to a more science/engineering course I guess
Post by n7axw   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:37 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

Liberal Arts implies a wide range exposure to various subjects including science, philosophy, ethics, history, etc. Prior to the scientific age, most education was liberal arts. Rather than preparing someone for a specific job, the goal was character formation. If it worked the way it was supposed to, it opened up a person to the world, creating a sense of obligation toward service in that world. I experienced it that way.

I'm afraid that too much education now is job oriented with people more worried about the money they will make rather than than any sense of obligation or, for that matter, awareness of the world outside of their own narrow slice of reality.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
I'm afraid that too much education now is job oriented with people more worried about the money they will make rather than than any sense of obligation or, for that matter, awareness of the world outside of their own narrow slice of reality.

Don

-

Frankly, my IMHO that the problem is exactly that peoples started to value their subjective view on reality over the objective facts how it is...
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by n7axw   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:15 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

Frankly, my IMHO that the problem is exactly that peoples started to value their subjective view on reality over the objective facts how it is...

Amen, brother. Preach it.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

"The IRS. They say I prepaid tens of millions of dollars in taxes. That's what they say. Millions and millions."

To what country?

I think he misunderstood or misrepresented the IRS. They were probably saying he paid tens of dollars on the millions of dollars he owes. Tens and tens on millions and millions.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:57 am

TFLYTSNBN

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

Liberal Arts is useless shit such as underwater basket weaving.

American universities are now offering degrees in shit that is even more useless sick as transgender studies and sex work. I guess people need to go to university to figure out what sex they are and how to have sex.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:36 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I got a D- in underwater basketweaving 101... :lol:

Fly, actually your attitude in your post is exhibit A illustrating the utilitarian attitude I am objecting to. A good education has to do with far more than making money. It has to do with character formation, sharing in the common human story through history, literature and much more.

Simply because you don't see immediate use for something does not mean that it is without value.

Don

-
Post by Annachie   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:51 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Seriously, if I was 30+ years younger I'd be trying to get i to MIT just for the piracy certificate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:26 am

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Liberal Arts is useless shit such as underwater basket weaving.

American universities are now offering degrees in shit that is even more useless sick as transgender studies and sex work. I guess people need to go to university to figure out what sex they are and how to have sex.

... he says, on the website of a professional writer and historian.

Also, Fly, here's something for your useless ass to consider: Telling people what to think, what to research and what to be interested in isn't really in line with that whole "freedom of speech" thing you americans are so keen on. Or that whole "freedom of science" stuff that made the US into the power it is.

Return to Politics