Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Audible version narration

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Audible version narration
Post by Lazlo   » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:40 pm

Lazlo
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

refraining from opening this with my real feelings about the narrator...so will simply note that the red-neck sounding players with this edition are abhorrent. my usual response to any of Mr Weber's stories is almost one of "hurry up, I want more."

and with Into the Light, Ralph Lister has caused me to stop the audio several times just because the "voice" of so many characters is back-hills angry, un-educated, over-the-top and annoying...when the characters, as written, are none of the above.

sad part is that I live in the South where that tone can be common. but not everyone speaks like Larry, the Cable Guy! he, at least isn't angry, and does his "speech" for humorous effect.

guess I can always do the old stand-by, hard to do while driving, READ.

ten thousand sci-fi books I own out-weigh the needs of the few hundred audio. sigh.

and btw...love the story, hope the aliens landing is never like this and have to hope vampires ARE real and will help.

—————

Hello, Vlad. :)
Re: Audible version narration
Post by Holypope0618   » Sun May 21, 2023 5:57 pm

Holypope0618
Midshipman

Charles Keating does book 2. So there's that to look forward to.
Re: Audible version narration
Post by Robin_WH   » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:08 pm

Robin_WH
Ensign

I cannot say I am happy with both Ralph Lister and Charles Keating, especially thanks to traditional butchering pronunciation of any Slavic or German names, which haunts most of audible/McMillan audio editions.
This is especially irritating since one of main characters is named Dvorak, itself a butchery of Czech surname Dvořák (probably inspired by a Czech classical music composer Antonín Dvořák)

To say truth, only good pronunciation of all Honorverse books had the Madelyn Buzzard, all other narrators have butchered it.

Sadly to say, this universe is hard to swallow for sci-fi reader. Not only are both books lengthy and waste words, but the Deus-ex Machina at the end of the first, is outrageous! Vampires?! In hard sci-fi?
I am currently at 1/3 of second book and this seems so boring... It is almost worse than a recyclate called Shadow of Victory!

Return to Out of the Dark