Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Machine/Barrier in the cave

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Machine/Barrier in the cave
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:07 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

It reminds me of the Atlantean machine that set Rodney Mackay on the path to ascension in the Stargate Atlantis episode.

Maybe Vlad was changed by going through the barrier in the cave, a barrier that the other guys / 5th race used when they left earth tens of millennia before, but as Vlad was not pure stock in comparison to them the change was not complete and he ended up being neither fish nor fowl.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Re: Machine/Barrier in the cave
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:58 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:It reminds me of the Atlantean machine that set Rodney Mackay on the path to ascension in the Stargate Atlantis episode.

Maybe Vlad was changed by going through the barrier in the cave, a barrier that the other guys / 5th race used when they left earth tens of millennia before, but as Vlad was not pure stock in comparison to them the change was not complete and he ended up being neither fish nor fowl.

Seems to me that he was properly and fully transformed, only he didn't know how to use his new state after the transformation. He had to learn via trial and error.

Nature vs nurture.
Re: Machine/Barrier in the cave
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:47 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:It reminds me of the Atlantean machine that set Rodney Mackay on the path to ascension in the Stargate Atlantis episode.

Seems to me that he was properly and fully transformed, only he didn't know how to use his new state after the transformation. He had to learn via trial and error.

Nature vs nurture.

Or would that be trial and terror :lol:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Out of the Dark