Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Spoiler...Technology

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Spoiler...Technology
Post by iranuke   » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 pm

iranuke
Commander

I wonder if anyone else noticed that the ship that came and said howdy to Vlad had a distinct resemblance to the "Fasset Drive" from the Fury universe. They were creating "black holes" after all. If they got their sums right, it could be days to weeks between planets. It will be interesting to see in the next book to see just how far off the mark I am.
Re: Spoiler...Technology
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

iranuke wrote:I wonder if anyone else noticed that the ship that came and said howdy to Vlad had a distinct resemblance to the "Fasset Drive" from the Fury universe. They were creating "black holes" after all. If they got their sums right, it could be days to weeks between planets. It will be interesting to see in the next book to see just how far off the mark I am.

No. The black hole was only to pierce the phase wall, not to pull the ship forward. Piercing the phase wall allowed the energy in phase space to enter n-space.
Post by iranuke   » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 pm

iranuke
Commander

PeterZ wrote:
iranuke wrote:I wonder if anyone else noticed that the ship that came and said howdy to Vlad had a distinct resemblance to the "Fasset Drive" from the Fury universe. They were creating "black holes" after all. If they got their sums right, it could be days to weeks between planets. It will be interesting to see in the next book to see just how far off the mark I am.

No. The black hole was only to pierce the phase wall, not to pull the ship forward. Piercing the phase wall allowed the energy in phase space to enter n-space.

Still following a Black Hole around.
Post by phillies   » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:27 pm

phillies
Admiral

A fine novel.

Amazing. Someone creates a planet obliteration bomb, more or less, and then does not immediately weaponize it. What is wrong with these people?

As a minor aside, if you are two light seconds from a named large moon obliteration bomb when it goes ker-blammo, and do not have energy screens, you are not there afterwards.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:59 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:

iranuke wrote:Still following a Black Hole around.

Not sure that they are.
Post by isaac_newton   » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

phillies wrote:A fine novel.

Amazing. Someone creates a planet obliteration bomb, more or less, and then does not immediately weaponize it. What is wrong with these people?

As a minor aside, if you are two light seconds from a named large moon obliteration bomb when it goes ker-blammo, and do not have energy screens, you are not there afterwards.

I was a bit suprised that book people were not more upset about blowing Ganymede away. :cry: Seemed like they were about as concerned as if they had accidentally broken a greehouse window.
Post by Joat42   » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:21 pm

Joat42
Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
phillies wrote:A fine novel.

I was a bit suprised that book people were not more upset about blowing Ganymede away. :cry: Seemed like they were about as concerned as if they had accidentally broken a greehouse window.

I'll put that down to that they are rushing to build a fleet that can take on the GH as fast as possible. There are bound to be "oopsies" along the way.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by bert953   » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:56 am

bert953
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

There are bound to be "oopsies" along the way.[/quote]

Blowing up Ganymede was an oopsie? Id hate to see an oowie. ;-)
Post by bert953   » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:58 am

bert953
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

What series is the Fury universe?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:31 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

bert953 wrote:

What series is the Fury universe?

The one with _Path of the Fury_ (expanded version was _In Fury Born_) and a prequel series, the first one being _Governor_ due out June 2021.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)

Return to Out of the Dark