Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Questions

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Questions
Post by Isilith   » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:47 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

Since I am still, somewhat patiently, for my copy to be delivered. I want to ask, just how is everyone liking Into the Light?
Re: Questions
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:16 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Want the third (and fourth, etc) book. :D
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:01 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Absolutely enjoyed it. And like Drak, I want the follow on books.

I think that some people are going to be unhappy with the info dumps, I know that has been a complaint about the MWW's books before. I also feel that there will be complaints about how things move along.

*spoiler*

Mostly in the sense of how things are sort of handed to humanity at this point of things. There is no bad guy in this book, other than humanity dealing with itself and getting a move on in advancing itself.
Post by FriarBob   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:20 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Fireflair wrote:*spoiler* (omitted)

Not so sure that's really all that much of a spoiler... but just in case I cut it... not quite sure there was 'none' but sure wasn't much, so I guess I have to mostly agree.

I've always LIKED that Weber painted a picture with his words, and I liked that his characters almost seemed to breathe. They were detailed and realistic, mostly, at least, the good guys were (mostly) likable, the bad guys were easy to detest, etc. Call me weird if you wish, but I liked having things explained in reasonable detail.

Some of his latest books are now well past reasonable.

Oh well, most of them are still enjoyable. Mostly.

But I also agree with Drak... I want to see the third/fourth book tomorrow.
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I don't think it's much of a spoiler but it was just released so I didn't think I should just throw that out there....

I think that people looking for a lot to happen are going to be disappointed. I mean, a lot did happen, but not a huge amount of action or dealing with big things. Just lots of build up and indirect action that made much of the book feel like set up for the next one.
Post by WeberFan   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:37 am

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Isilith wrote:Since I am still, somewhat patiently, for my copy to be delivered. I want to ask, just how is everyone liking Into the Light?

It's interesting...

I remember some of the forum posts when Out of The Dark was released. Seemed like a lot of people really didn't care for it. I can honestly say that I DID like it. If for no other reason that I just like STORIES. David's knack of developing characters through a book is pretty cool IMHO. To see characters become more nuanced and complex as we learn more about them.

I bought and downloaded Into the Light from eBooks.com on the 12th, when it was first released. It met all of my expectations and was a great read. I have to be very careful in what I say here because I DON'T want any spoilers to sneak into the post. So I'll leave it there... Great read. Enjoyed it immensely. Right up there with David's other works.

Isilith - your patience will be amply rewarded I think. ;)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:16 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

WeberFan wrote:It's interesting...

I remember some of the forum posts when Out of The Dark was released. Seemed like a lot of people really didn't care for it. I can honestly say that I DID like it. If for no other reason that I just like STORIES. David's knack of developing characters through a book is pretty cool IMHO. To see characters become more nuanced and complex as we learn more about them.

I bought and downloaded Into the Light from eBooks.com on the 12th, when it was first released. It met all of my expectations and was a great read. I have to be very careful in what I say here because I DON'T want any spoilers to sneak into the post. So I'll leave it there... Great read. Enjoyed it immensely. Right up there with David's other works.

I've just finished reading both, back to back (first time for OOTD too). I can say that I was almost disappointed by the end of OOTD, with the way that David resolved the problem of defeating the Shongari. Vampires came out of nowhere. Usually he gives us enough indication of what's going to happen, if you pay attention to it. Then again, he did: the name Mircea Basarab; I just did not recognise it.

Almost.

Into the Light is much more enjoyable. It's definitely less dark and with Humanity having hit rock bottom, up was the only possible way to go. It never hurts to give ourselves some chest thumping too.

He and Chris are now leaving footprints and breadcrumbs for the next few books. There are quite a few unexplained things at the end of this book that makes me want to buy the next one right now (and definitely not wait 11 years!).
Post by Mithandril   » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:23 pm

Mithandril
Ensign

:lol: :P

Lots of fun. I like the original book and the new one was great.
Now is the wait for the next book in the series!

Hope it will be less than another 10 years.

Mithandril
Post by henry76   » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:30 am

henry76
Midshipman

Fireflair wrote:Absolutely enjoyed it. And like Drak, I want the follow on books.

I think that some people are going to be unhappy with the info dumps, I know that has been a complaint about the MWW's books before. I also feel that there will be complaints about how things move along.

*spoiler*

Mostly in the sense of how things are sort of handed to humanity at this point of things. There is no bad guy in this book, other than humanity dealing with itself and getting a move on in advancing itself.

I can suggest several ways to find out what people are saying about "Into the Light," such as:

Check online reviews: You can visit websites like Goodreads, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble to read reviews from people who have already read the book.

Social media: You can use hashtags on social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram to find posts and reviews from people who are discussing "Into the Light."

Ask friends and family: If you know anyone who has already read the book, you can ask for their opinion on it.
Post by gonzojohnus   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:13 am

gonzojohnus
Midshipman

Isilith wrote:Since I am still, somewhat patiently, for my copy to be delivered. I want to ask, just how is everyone liking Into the Light?

I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two of the "Out of the Dark". I am so glad Mr. Weber with Book 3; To Challenge Heaven. [Sorry in advance, if this is SPOILER} I really enjoyed this book as the soon to be "Terran Empire" is striking back not only the Shongairi Empire but also one of the founding members of the Hegemony, the Liatu. A GREAT read and I can't wait for Book 4. I hope it comes out soon!

Return to Out of the Dark