Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoilers

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoilers
Post by Mycall4me   » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:29 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Am I the only one to have read To Challenge Heaven, and wanting to see some posts and discussians about it?

Like, for instance, the first part about the Shongair invasion was (I thought) absolutely awesome. The second part was a little less than awesome IMO. Certainly not BAD or anything, just not quite as awesome as the Shongair invasion.
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by phillies   » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 pm

phillies
Admiral

Posts: 2077
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:43 am
Location: Worcester, MA

Mycall4me wrote:Am I the only one to have read To Challenge Heaven, and wanting to see some posts and discussians about it?

Like, for instance, the first part about the Shongair invasion was (I thought) absolutely awesome. The second part was a little less than awesome IMO. Certainly not BAD or anything, just not quite as awesome as the Shongair invasion.


I have read the three books.
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:56 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4158
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

Mycall4me wrote:Am I the only one to have read To Challenge Heaven, and wanting to see some posts and discussians about it?

Like, for instance, the first part about the Shongair invasion was (I thought) absolutely awesome. The second part was a little less than awesome IMO. Certainly not BAD or anything, just not quite as awesome as the Shongair invasion.


What? There are "spoilers" threads in this forum and lots of posts in the month of January.

I've read all three books and I actually liked both parts of TCH. The military portion of the first half is more detailed, clearly, but I did like the non-military portions of the second. I like the world-building (or, in this case, Galaxy-building) and getting the psychology behind the other races.
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by Mycall4me   » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:09 am

Mycall4me
Commander

Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Mycall4me wrote:Am I the only one to have read To Challenge Heaven, and wanting to see some posts and discussians about it?

Like, for instance, the first part about the Shongair invasion was (I thought) absolutely awesome. The second part was a little less than awesome IMO. Certainly not BAD or anything, just not quite as awesome as the Shongair invasion.


What? There are "spoilers" threads in this forum and lots of posts in the month of January.

I've read all three books and I actually liked both parts of TCH. The military portion of the first half is more detailed, clearly, but I did like the non-military portions of the second. I like the world-building (or, in this case, Galaxy-building) and getting the psychology behind the other races.


I can only paraphrase you....What? Is there something wrong with my internet's view of this forum? I counted 3 posts (topics) from January, and two of them were my own, and one from you. Yours was a spoilers topic, both of mine were No SPOILERS Are you talking about posted topics, or replies TO posted topics?

This is just too weird, I've had some weird things from the forum recently, mostly a LOT of e mails from duckk reporting replies to my threads and yet when I go there, there AREN'T any new replies. But this is the first time where I'm not seeing something that someone else is saying is there. And I checked all four of the pages in this forum, so I don't know what to think.

?!?
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:09 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4158
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

Mycall4me wrote:I can only paraphrase you....What? Is there something wrong with my internet's view of this forum? I counted 3 posts (topics) from January, and two of them were my own, and one from you. Yours was a spoilers topic, both of mine were No SPOILERS Are you talking about posted topics, or replies TO posted topics?


Yes, I count replies as sufficient traffic.
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:04 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:29 pm

I was reading _To Challenge Heaven_ and stopped at the following quote:

'possessed of a superabundance of that quality which in myself I should call tenacity and maintenance of purpose, but which in his case I can describe only as pure bloody-minded obstinacy.'

This looked a bit familiar and a short search found, in _A Mighty Fortress_ (#4 in Weber's Safehold series), the following:

'His Highness possesses a superabundance of that quality which, in myself, I should characterize as tenacity and maintenance of aim, but which, in His Highness’ case, I can describe only as sheer bloody-minded obstinacy.'
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:04 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I was reading _To Challenge Heaven_ and stopped at the following quote:

'possessed of a superabundance of that quality which in myself I should call tenacity and maintenance of purpose, but which in his case I can describe only as pure bloody-minded obstinacy.'

This looked a bit familiar and a short search found, in _A Mighty Fortress_ (#4 in Weber's Safehold series), the following:

'His Highness possesses a superabundance of that quality which, in myself, I should characterize as tenacity and maintenance of aim, but which, in His Highness’ case, I can describe only as sheer bloody-minded obstinacy.'


Yes, although for myself, I didn't take the time to look for it. I recognized it, and knew it was a quote about Cayleb, and figured when you have a good saying like that you use it again.
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:17 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Mycall4me wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I was reading _To Challenge Heaven_ and stopped at the following quote:

'possessed of a superabundance of that quality which in myself I should call tenacity and maintenance of purpose, but which in his case I can describe only as pure bloody-minded obstinacy.'

This looked a bit familiar and a short search found, in _A Mighty Fortress_ (#4 in Weber's Safehold series), the following:

'His Highness possesses a superabundance of that quality which, in myself, I should characterize as tenacity and maintenance of aim, but which, in His Highness’ case, I can describe only as sheer bloody-minded obstinacy.'


Yes, although for myself, I didn't take the time to look for it. I recognized it, and knew it was a quote about Cayleb, and figured when you have a good saying like that you use it again.


I have wondered if a similar phrase shows up in a biography of one of the WWII Admirals (presumably either Royal Navy or US Navy).

Edited: It occurred to me, after posting, that Admiral Rickover had an abundance of tenacity and maintenance of purpose.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:55 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

Downloaded it this morning onto my Kindle, finished reading it by 1PM.
Good book, albeit of a "setting up for the next stage" type plot.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Top
Re: Am I the only one who's read To Challege Heaven? NO Spoi
Post by Oakstone   » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:51 pm

Oakstone
Midshipman

Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 12:10 pm

Well, I missed this, because it wasn't published by Baen Books. Found this thread today and searched Baen (I buy the bundles several months ahead - and am about 40 books behind in reading) and it wasn't there. Just bought for my Nook from Barnes & Noble. Will start reading it tonight.
Top

Return to Out of the Dark