Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Pre-trial Threats SPOILER

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Pre-trial Threats SPOILER
Post by Lego2Gpa   » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Lego2Gpa
Ensign

Murphy's focus on unity is misplaced.
There is no value to unity with cowards and corruption. Unless the Federation cleans up its act, secession is the only solution. The Free Worlds Alliance (FWA) should offer cooperation against the League, but no more taxation without defense. Loyalty is a two-way process. The Federation has taken taxes and cannon fodder, but not given loyalty to the Fringe worlds.
Murphy should threaten a publicity campaign if the trial begins. Publication of the Fokaides Directive would strip the Federation fleets of Fringe staff. Murphy should spread the word through Frontier veterans (is there the analogue of the VFW?).

If the Federation wants to retain the FWA, the following demands must be met:
Repudiation of the Fokaides Directive; make it clear that fleets have duty to guard populations.
Court martial of Captain Drebin for abandoning Inverness to a weak League attack,
Each Fringe system given System Guard (i.e. National Guard) ships for their own protection. Enough strength that an attach will be painful.
Committee to investigate Rish support of the League.

Murphy might dazzle Kanada Thakore with Venus Futures operation of the mammoth yard at Diyu. It's big enough to sub contract parts and still be too big to chew. Bids for potions of the yard should fragment the Five Hundred family unity.
Re: Pre-trial Threats SPOILER
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:08 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

I think the only trial is going to be when Terrence meets his brother-in-law in combat. How many of his fleet's ships will join Murphy in the final confrontation? Even if the ships were picked for commanders who were loyal to the Federation, impromptu changes of command have been known to happen. It looks like at least three FTLCs have gone over to Murphy since he returned from Diyu, at least one involving a change of command not directed by the Oval.

Once he deals with Fifth Fleet, either by defeat or subversion, he'll pull an Honor and sit just outside the Sol Powell Limit with twelve (or more) carriers and their parasite groups. And there won't be a Federation force to answer his within weeks, if not months, of two-way travel. And open discussions with the Oval about Rish support of the Alliance.
Post by WeberFan   » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:04 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Well, let's see...

We know from textev that the League wars lasted almost exactly 60 years (2450-2510 Ref: In Fury Born, Chapter 2: "...but in the end, they'd managed to produce the League Wars, which had lasted from 2450 until 2510..." We know further that Governor takes place 56 years into the war (Ref: Governor: Introduction ...Terrence Murphy is coming for whoever has orchestrated orchestrated fifty-six years of bloodshed and slaughter, and Hell itself is coming with him.")

So figure the events in Governor took about a year, which makes it 2507. Terence is on his way back with 12 FTLCs at his back and we know that ultimately he succeeded in deposing the 500 and establishing the house of Murphy in the emperorship. So he's got 3 years, give or take.

- Get back.
- Depose the 500, take over, and establish a government.
- End the war.
- Begin preparing for the Rish to almost win in the first Rish-Human war.

Piece of cake?
Post by cnrd22   » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:31 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

WeberFan wrote:Well, let's see...

We know from textev that the League wars lasted almost exactly 60 years (2450-2510 Ref: In Fury Born, Chapter 2: "...but in the end, they'd managed to produce the League Wars, which had lasted from 2450 until 2510..." We know further that Governor takes place 56 years into the war (Ref: Governor: Introduction ...Terrence Murphy is coming for whoever has orchestrated orchestrated fifty-six years of bloodshed and slaughter, and Hell itself is coming with him.")

So figure the events in Governor took about a year, which makes it 2507. Terence is on his way back with 12 FTLCs at his back and we know that ultimately he succeeded in deposing the 500 and establishing the house of Murphy in the emperorship. So he's got 3 years, give or take.

- Get back.
- Depose the 500, take over, and establish a government.
- End the war.
- Begin preparing for the Rish to almost win in the first Rish-Human war.

Piece of cake?

I think it will be more like co-opt enough of the 500 (when they see that most of the Navy follow him) than fully depose them and hammer a compromise new government with a powerful executive (the Emperor) but also some checks and balances as I remember from In Fury Born; that, of course, will take some time, while with the League now in some disarray, some kind of armistice should be easier to obtain and then comes the Rish invasion which changes the game completely (or better put makes the change blatant for everyone)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:22 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cnrd22 wrote:I think it will be more like co-opt enough of the 500 (when they see that most of the Navy follow him) than fully depose them and hammer a compromise new government with a powerful executive (the Emperor) but also some checks and balances as I remember from In Fury Born; that, of course, will take some time, while with the League now in some disarray, some kind of armistice should be easier to obtain and then comes the Rish invasion which changes the game completely (or better put makes the change blatant for everyone)

He doesn't need to completely deal with the 500 before the Rish invasion. The invasion will cause the League to rally behind him. A common external foe causes the internal differences to be swept aside. "All" he needs to do is make sure they don't reappear after the invasion is dealt with.
Post by Louis R   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:02 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Evidence is that the 500 weren't - and never would be - 'dealt with'.

If Subrahmanyan Treadwell's "backers" weren't their direct descendants, genetic as well as moral, I'll eat my copy of In Fury Born - raw and without salt.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cnrd22 wrote:I think it will be more like co-opt enough of the 500 (when they see that most of the Navy follow him) than fully depose them and hammer a compromise new government with a powerful executive (the Emperor) but also some checks and balances as I remember from In Fury Born; that, of course, will take some time, while with the League now in some disarray, some kind of armistice should be easier to obtain and then comes the Rish invasion which changes the game completely (or better put makes the change blatant for everyone)

He doesn't need to completely deal with the 500 before the Rish invasion. The invasion will cause the League to rally behind him. A common external foe causes the internal differences to be swept aside. "All" he needs to do is make sure they don't reappear after the invasion is dealt with.

Return to Path of the Fury