Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Governor SPOILERS

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Governor SPOILERS
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:51 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Governor Chapter 14 said

Collum Murphy to Eira, in Ishtar's brig:
“No worries,” he told her. “No worries there…although I can already feel my mother giving me one of those looks. But same as it ever was during the war, right? We’re just building up a bit of a cadre as we go along. Now let’s get you to the adjutant for the contract. You can sign your name, at least?

Interesting thought...
Re: Governor SPOILERS
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:40 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Fox2! wrote:
Governor Chapter 14 said

“No worries,” he told her. “No worries there…although I can already feel my mother giving me one of those looks. But same as it ever was during the war, right? We’re just building up a bit of a cadre as we go along. Now let’s get you to the adjutant for the contract. You can sign your name, at least?

Interesting thought...

I think he is using "cadre" as an ordinary word ... checking dictionary ...:

"1. a framework. 2. a nucleus around which an expanded organization, as in a military unit, can be built. 3. staff officers."

I would say meaning (2) is the most likely.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:23 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Fox2! wrote:
Governor Chapter 14 said

Interesting thought...

"1. a framework. 2. a nucleus around which an expanded organization, as in a military unit, can be built. 3. staff officers."

You are probably correct. As I said, an interesting thought, into which I am probably reading too much.
Post by Louis R   » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:47 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Not necessarily. Just because it's an ordinary word doesn't mean that he or somebody else isn't going to start using it rather specifically.

"building up a bit of a cadre" => 'we have a cadre' => 'the cadre'

Fox2! wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:

You are probably correct. As I said, an interesting thought, into which I am probably reading too much.
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:22 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Louis R wrote:Not necessarily. Just because it's an ordinary word doesn't mean that he or somebody else isn't going to start using it rather specifically.

"building up a bit of a cadre" => 'we have a cadre' => 'the cadre'

Eira and the four (now three) Hoplons assigned to the principal to form the core of the Cadre. But what if the incipient relationship developing between Collum and. Eira?

Return to Path of the Fury