Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Problem in Governor

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Problem in Governor
Post by GregD   » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 am

GregD
Lieutenant Commander

“We left Granger to keep an eye on the POWs until the Republic can pick them up, but there’s no way she can hold onto the yard if they turn up to collect them with a task group or two in their pocket. Which, if you’ll recall, is why I specifically told her to not even try. She’s got her finger on the trigger to slag the yards if she needs to, and she’s got the early warning to skip the system and make it back to New Dublin and avoid a fight.”

When I first read that, I read it as "the League", since the Federation wouldn't be "collecting" POWs "with a task group or two in their pocket".

The other option is that they're going to keep the POWs, and so "Federation" is correct.

But, in any event, "Republic" is wrong
Re: Problem in Governor
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

GregD wrote:“We left Granger to keep an eye on the POWs until the Republic can pick them up, but there’s no way she can hold onto the yard if they turn up to collect them with a task group or two in their pocket. Which, if you’ll recall, is why I specifically told her to not even try. She’s got her finger on the trigger to slag the yards if she needs to, and she’s got the early warning to skip the system and make it back to New Dublin and avoid a fight.”

When I first read that, I read it as "the League", since the Federation wouldn't be "collecting" POWs "with a task group or two in their pocket".

The other option is that they're going to keep the POWs, and so "Federation" is correct.

But, in any event, "Republic" is wrong

I saw that to today and I think it meant "League", given the rest of the discussion coming afterwards: losing the yards. A Federation contingent wouldn't destroy the yards (they wouldn't be that stupid, not even to preserve the status quo) and Granger wouldn't be running from them.

I thought it could be either the name of a specific task group or maybe a another polity out there. Arranging for a neutral party to come and transfer the prisoners would be logical. But given that Hell's Hearth is the next biggest, is neutral and is still just four systems, it doesn't seem possible any third party would have the lift capacity necessary. Nor would they be a threat to Granger, either.

Given that, the only possibility is that it is the Terran League, not the Terran Republic of the later Starfire books.
Post by BillT52   » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:47 pm

BillT52
Ensign

Or maybe whoever wrote that passage had the Honorverse on his mind where the bad guys were the People's Republic.

In general the ebook version (via Kobo) suffers from a general lack of editing. Multiple instances of missing words, double words, wrong articles, etc.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:59 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

BillT52 wrote:In general the ebook version (via Kobo) suffers from a general lack of editing. Multiple instances of missing words, double words, wrong articles, etc.

I don't remember any of that in the Kindle ebook version.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:17 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

BillT52 wrote:Or maybe whoever wrote that passage had the Honorverse on his mind where the bad guys were the People's Republic.

In general the ebook version (via Kobo) suffers from a general lack of editing. Multiple instances of missing words, double words, wrong articles, etc.

Can you give specific examples? I don't remember noticing anything like that.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Dahak   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Dahak
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

GregD wrote:But, in any event, "Republic" is wrong

Ummm... early drafts of the book had a wee bit of an issue: it recounted the ongoing war between the Terran League and the Terran Republic.

This looks like something was missed in the corrections prior to publication.

https://jiltanith.thefifthimperium.com/site/book/Governor/-/
Post by Peter2   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:27 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
BillT52 wrote:In general the ebook version (via Kobo) suffers from a general lack of editing. Multiple instances of missing words, double words, wrong articles, etc.

I don't remember any of that in the Kindle ebook version.

Nor do I.

Return to Path of the Fury