Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Simron Murphy as a Federation ace in the hole?

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Simron Murphy as a Federation ace in the hole?
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:22 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

I know that there are a lot of people here in the forums who hate to speculate about the author lord's decisions. And I apologize in advance for this ugly thought that I had. But it occured to me that the corrupt leaders of the federation have a really good hostage to hold up to Terrance Murphy. And they're just nasty enough to use her as such. Sure, her father is one of the five hundred, but I don't think that that's going to be enough to help her.

It will be interesting to see how this potential problem will be handled in the future books. I can only hope that the eventual outcome is a good one for Mr, and Mrs Murphy.
Re: Simron Murphy as a Federation ace in the hole?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:12 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Mycall4me wrote:I know that there are a lot of people here in the forums who hate to speculate about the author lord's decisions. And I apologize in advance for this ugly thought that I had. But it occured to me that the corrupt leaders of the federation have a really good hostage to hold up to Terrance Murphy. And they're just nasty enough to use her as such. Sure, her father is one of the five hundred, but I don't think that that's going to be enough to help her.

It will be interesting to see how this potential problem will be handled in the future books. I can only hope that the eventual outcome is a good one for Mr, and Mrs Murphy.

There is also the daughter, Reagan Murphy, who will also need "protection" against ... somebody or the other. I suspect that _Dictator_ will see a lot of executions.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Mycall4me   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:31 am

Mycall4me
Commander

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Mycall4me wrote:I know that there are a lot of people here in the forums who hate to speculate about the author lord's decisions. And I apologize in advance for this ugly thought that I had. But it occured to me that the corrupt leaders of the federation have a really good hostage to hold up to Terrance Murphy. And they're just nasty enough to use her as such. Sure, her father is one of the five hundred, but I don't think that that's going to be enough to help her.

There is also the daughter, Reagan Murphy, who will also need "protection" against ... somebody or the other. I suspect that _Dictator_ will see a lot of executions.

True, there's his other son also. Although I wasn't thinking executions, I was thinking hostage situations instead. Which would be bad enough, lord (or RFC) only knows what Murphy would do if they actually kill his nearest and dearist.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:17 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

I was thinking that Murphy will be ordering a bunch of executions.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Mycall4me   » Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:37 am

Mycall4me
Commander

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I was thinking that Murphy will be ordering a bunch of executions.

Well when I said I was thinking hostage situation, I was envisioning the 500 holding Simron and family hostage to get ahold of Murphy. That was before I got to the chapter in Rebel that described the board meeting of the military and top echelon of the 500, and their plans for Murphy. Now? I think executions are entirely possible, maybe even a given, considering how evil those "people" have shown themselves to be. So I suppose that that will probably also insure that Murphy will have blood in his eyes after the probable outcome regarding his family.
Post by Casus Belli   » Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:13 pm

Casus Belli
Midshipman

I imagine this is what leads to the formation of the Imperial Cadre. I also have this video streaming through my mind of the Cadre launching an orbital combat drop from a smuggled freighter and crashing through the roof to take on the Hand. Just a little 'commando drop' of say about 300 men. Not full out planetary assault. But Perrin does not survive.
Post by Mycall4me   » Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:22 am

Mycall4me
Commander

Casus Belli wrote:I imagine this is what leads to the formation of the Imperial Cadre. I also have this video streaming through my mind of the Cadre launching an orbital combat drop from a smuggled freighter and crashing through the roof to take on the Hand. Just a little 'commando drop' of say about 300 men. Not full out planetary assault. But Perrin does not survive.

I'm all in to the idea of putting that fat man in the ground, but I fear that that might be hard to accomplish by force. What I suspect to happen will be more along the lines of what happened to the mandarins in UH. Which might be more satisfactory than pure vilence, gives him more time to see his fate coming at him.
Post by Casus Belli   » Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:55 am

Casus Belli
Midshipman

While I admit that Perrin might escape death I think those who signed *the Pardon* will probably end up dead. This is because Murphy now has an established history of executing those engaged in mass slaughter.

I'm avoiding details as they are spoilers.
Post by Mycall4me   » Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:11 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

So, I read in another thread that the book after Dictator is Emperor, and that kinds of confirms that this will be a four book series. Which probably means that things are going to be very, very busy in those two remaining books. I had been leaning towards a more lengthy set of books after seeing how (relatively) slow paced events were unfolding in the first two books.

I continue to holdout (and expect) a good outcome for the future emptess.

Return to Path of the Fury