Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Found space object may prove we are not alone

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Post by nonfictionseaker   » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:45 pm

nonfictionseaker
Midshipman

Humans have been sending out “probes” into our solar system and beyond in efforts to detect far off planets and other objects within our solar system, but it was never contemplated that we would see a “probe” that did not come from our planet; that is, until now.

We are not the only ones looking and listening.

This probe came from an alien planet and it may not be the only probe out there. When a probe is sent into the cosmos the signals sent from the probe back to its own world gets weaker the further away it travels. To maintain the signal, it is reasonable to believe subsequent probes were sent to follow the first one creating a chain of probes transmitting the images back to the probe behind it. The following probe that in turn relays these signals to the following probe. This chain communication guaranties a continual scan of the cosmos in its path.

Interstellar object may have been alien probe, Harvard paper argues, but experts are skeptical
By Steve George and Ashley Strickland, CNN
Updated 1:43 PM EST, Tue November 6, 2018
CNN) —
A mysterious cigar-shaped object spotted tumbling through our solar system last year may have been an alien spacecraft sent to investigate Earth, astronomers from Harvard University have suggested.
The object, nicknamed ‘Oumuamua, meaning “a messenger that reaches out from the distant past” in Hawaiian, was discovered in October 2017 by the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawaii.
Since its discovery, scientists have been at odds to explain its unusual features and precise origins, with researchers first calling it a comet and then an asteroid before finally deeming it the first of its kind: a new class of “interstellar objects.”
A new paper by researchers at the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics raises the possibility that the elongated dark-red object, which is 10 times as long as it is wide and traveling at speeds of 196,000 mph, might have an “artificial origin.”
https://tinyurl.com/yabq8xqa

NASA SOLOR SYSTEM EXPLORATION
The first known interstellar object to visit our solar system, 1I/2017 U1 ‘Oumuamua, was discovered Oct. 19, 2017 by the University of Hawaii’s Pan-STARRS1 telescope, funded by NASA’s Near-Earth Object Observations (NEOO) Program, which finds and tracks asteroids and comets in Earth’s neighborhood. While originally classified as a comet, observations revealed no signs of cometary activity after it slingshotted past the Sun on Sept. 9, 2017 at a blistering speed of 196,000 miles per hour (87.3 kilometers per second). It was briefly classified as an asteroid until new measurements found it was accelerating slightly, a sign it behaves more like a comet.
https://tinyurl.com/y5metlub

Images of object
https://tinyurl.com/y4b7z2vr
Re: Found space object may prove we are not alone
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

We are not alone.

Why are UFOs elongated cigars nowadays. Are aliens trying to send us a message from the galaxy's surgeon general?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by phillies   » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:36 pm

phillies
Admiral

Cigar shaped UFOs have been observed since the earliest days of modenr UFO observations, late 1940s.

cthia wrote:We are not alone.

Why are UFOs elongated cigars nowadays. Are aliens trying to send us a message from the galaxy's surgeon general?
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Cigar shaped UFOs have been observed since the earliest days of modenr UFO observations, late 1940s.

cthia wrote:We are not alone.

That is news to me. Thanks phillies.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:24 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

My own little secret. In 1970, while driving an open sports car at night on a country road, I was stalked by a cigar shaped object that matched my speed and direction, before accelerating very rapidly at a 45 degree upward angle.
The HMS Hexapuma?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:46 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

nonfictionseaker wrote:NASA SOLOR SYSTEM EXPLORATION
The first known interstellar object to visit our solar system, 1I/2017 U1 ‘Oumuamua, was discovered Oct. 19, 2017 by the University of Hawaii’s Pan-STARRS1 telescope, funded by NASA’s Near-Earth Object Observations (NEOO) Program, which finds and tracks asteroids and comets in Earth’s neighborhood. While originally classified as a comet, observations revealed no signs of cometary activity after it slingshotted past the Sun on Sept. 9, 2017 at a blistering speed of 196,000 miles per hour (87.3 kilometers per second). It was briefly classified as an asteroid until new measurements found it was accelerating slightly, a sign it behaves more like a comet.
https://tinyurl.com/y5metlub

Images of object
https://tinyurl.com/y4b7z2vr
[/i]

Hello nonfictionseaker

Welcome to the forum.

‘Oumuamua is indeed believed to be extra-solar in origin. It's not thought to be the only one in our vicinity, just the first one we've been able to detect. Ejecting rocks out of the system is expected to happen all over the Galaxy and we have probably done the same.

Sending probes in a chain is a good idea to solve the problem of signal weakening. Interstellar communication shouldn't be difficult if each sender can use the vast amount of power from the star, but tiny probes can't do that (not unless we find some form of power source currently unimagined to our science). Even directed communications like lasers would lose power because interstellar space is not empty.

But ‘Oumuamua not a probe. It's a rock. And the links to the "images of object" aren't images of the object. They are artist renderings of what it is believed to look like. Our imaging assets don't have the kind of resolution to have created images that detailed. What we do have are a blips a couple of pixels wide.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Cigar, joint, whatever.

If it was a probe it was either silent of any transmissions were not anything we are presently set up to notice let alone pick them out of any of the background noise in out system.

Of course it's possible that it was in full stealth mode (no smart skin though) and was using only passive sensors plus it launched a number of really stealth probes on ballistic courses to later collect them after it exists the system. Recon drones make a lot of sence because even something the size of a Ghost Rider would be really hard to discover with matt black, radar slippery skin cover and only passive sensors. The chances of something that size being noticed occluding a star is not quite zero but catching the moment in time to actualy do anyting like point some optical gear (major ground or obital telescope) to try and find "whatever did that" if you have no idea of the vector and velocity of something as stealth as - say a B-1 Steath bomber- under one lunar distance from Earth. Besides... apparently humans are spewing electromagnet radiation in communications, search or navigation transmissions including commercial and consumer TV like it's the heart of a burning gasoline storage tank. Unless somebody actualy wants or needs someting (I don't know and too many bits of Si-Fi tell me it's a bad idea to think about that) they are probably going to sort of drift (in relative terms) though a part of the system will away from us, "roll up the windows" and just keep on going. :)
Post by nonfictionseaker   » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:58 pm

nonfictionseaker
Midshipman

This was supposed to be a script for a si-fi movie

Who would have known 8-)
Back no non-fiction
I believe they are watching, possibly from different directions;
If they happen to call you, what would you say.,,.,ask.,.doooo?
:ugeek:
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:31 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Of course it's possible that it was in full stealth mode (no smart skin though) and was using only passive sensors plus it launched a number of really stealth probes on ballistic courses to later collect them after it exists the system.

Not a very good stealth system if our primitive ground-based sensors can pick it up, is it?

"Oh, look! A 100 to 1000 m long extra-solar object is in our system! Let's focus all our telescopes on it until it leaves the system!"

I mean, as a misdirection it's wonderful. Pretending to be something it isn't, down to having a completely ballistic course through the system. As they say in the Honorverse, "Surprise is what happens when somebody doesn't realize what they've seen all along." But as misdirections go, this would be a pretty risky one. It can't accelerate, can't launch probes (all those telescopes watching might just happen to see it) and is committed for a years-long slow course through the system.

If it were an Prime Directive-abiding ship on an intel-gathering operation, it wouldn't know ahead of time that the natives wouldn't launch a probe of their own to get the opportunity to grab extrasolar samples. And then when it lands and finds out that the thing is artificial?

There's something to be said about hiding in plain sight. But masquerading as the single most important discovery in the last 20 years (since the discovery of the first extrasolar planet) and deserving of the first-of-its-kind classification by the IAU isn't the way.
Post by The E   » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:32 am

The E
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Not a very good stealth system if our primitive ground-based sensors can pick it up, is it?

Stealth in space is impossible.

"Oh, look! A 100 to 1000 m long extra-solar object is in our system! Let's focus all our telescopes on it until it leaves the system!"

Yes. And then they see a rock that is behaving like a rock and doesn't do anything that a rock wouldn't.

Because it's a rock.

I mean, as a misdirection it's wonderful. Pretending to be something it isn't, down to having a completely ballistic course through the system. As they say in the Honorverse, "Surprise is what happens when somebody doesn't realize what they've seen all along." But as misdirections go, this would be a pretty risky one. It can't accelerate, can't launch probes (all those telescopes watching might just happen to see it) and is committed for a years-long slow course through the system.

(It can't do any of these things anyway because it's a rock)

Also, if you insist on this "there are aliens on that rock" nonsense: They would know the state of interplanetary travel in this solar system pretty well. So there's no harm in being a rock because the chances of someone getting a probe on an intercept are nil.

If it were an Prime Directive-abiding ship on an intel-gathering operation, it wouldn't know ahead of time that the natives wouldn't launch a probe of their own to get the opportunity to grab extrasolar samples. And then when it lands and finds out that the thing is artificial?

(the probe would find that it's a rock)

How do you detect artificiality? What sensors can you pack on a probe that can make an intercept that can give you a definitive answer one way or the other that doesn't leave people who insist on believing that it isn't a rock (which is what it is) wiggle room?

There's something to be said about hiding in plain sight. But masquerading as the single most important discovery in the last 20 years (since the discovery of the first extrasolar planet) and deserving of the first-of-its-kind classification by the IAU isn't the way.

(this rock was hiding in the way that all space travelling rocks do)

How would you know how significant this rock would be to the people looking at it?

Return to Free-Range Topics...