Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Annoying spell checker s!

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Annoying spell checker s!
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

See? It even screwed up the subject! Progress is oftentimes a good thing, but spell checker s leave me with mixed emotions. And everybody suffers from them.

I think I would prefer when it left the word uncorrected than replacing a misspelled word with a word that doesn't make sense. As humans we can oftentimes make out a misspelled word. But have you ever tried to make hyde or hair of a word which is obviously out of the blue? Which oftentimes garbles the whole meaning? Or changes it into a non sequitur?

My spell checker changes "ships" into "whole." And it really, really doesn't like screen names.

Sometimes I go back and can't read my own words when using a smart device instead of a full-sized keyboard with fewer typos. Anyone else just shy of firing your spell checker?

I've got an uppity bitch of a spell checker.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Annoying spell checker s!
Post by Daryl   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I use three different computers, Android tablet, laptop and PC (both Win10). On all, my spell checker is set up to flag obvious problems, but also give alternatives, but NOT to initiate changes.
I do have a problem with American spelling like Honor instead of Honour, and lots of z instead of s in words.
Re: Annoying spell checker s!
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:I use three different computers, Android tablet, laptop and PC (both Win10). On all, my spell checker is set up to flag obvious problems, but also give alternatives, but NOT to initiate changes.
I do have a problem with American spelling like Honor instead of Honour, and lots of z instead of s in words.

I know. So many devices with the same uppity bitch onboard.

My spellchecker turns reactor into tractor. And "noone" into Boone.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Free-Range Topics...