Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

O C D

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: O C D
Post by Annachie   » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:11 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Annachie, is that particular manifestation of OCD a result of you being left handed? If so, I never would have considered that OCD may be dominant hand dependent.

No.

Way back in high school an Israeli friend told me it was a superstition from her home country, and I've done it that way since.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:
cthia wrote:Annachie, is that particular manifestation of OCD a result of you being left handed? If so, I never would have considered that OCD may be dominant hand dependent.

No.

Way back in high school an Israeli friend told me it was a superstition from her home country, and I've done it that way since.

So you have OCD and superstition together. What a cocktail. But then, don't we all. I certainly do.

I think superstitions are taught. I never would have thought twice about walking under a ladder, breaking a mirror, splitting a pole (walking around the opposite side of a pole or any object than the person or group that you're walking with) or allowing a black cat to cross your path.

Just like you would never be dressing your right foot before your left if it hadn't been for your friend.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

cthia wrote:I think superstitions are taught. I never would have thought twice about walking under a ladder, breaking a mirror, splitting a pole (walking around the opposite side of a pole or any object than the person or group that you're walking with) or allowing a black cat to cross your path.

Some of those "superstitions" are actually understandable.

Ladder - How many have you seen slip or fall? Having someone land on top of you at the same time that a sliding ladder has clonked you on the head is never pleasant.
Breaking A Mirror - Mirrors were extremely expensive prior to the invention of plate glass. As such, it was easier to explain to rowdy children that breaking a mirror caused bad luck (including being spanked so hard that sitting down was impossible for a week) than go through how expensive getting a replacement was.
Splitting A Pole - Poles are sometimes used instead of fences to delineate paths. Go the wrong side and you risk literally walking into someone. And may god have mercy on your shoulders if you are holding a leash and the dog decides to run round the pole while you are distracted...
Black Cat - This one is pure superstition dating back to the Witchcraft Panic and the odd belief that witches selected black cats as familiars because they were impossible to see at night.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Dilandu   » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:Black Cat - This one is pure superstition dating back to the Witchcraft Panic and the odd belief that witches selected black cats as familiars because they were impossible to see at night.

Or a possibility of many peoples tipping over black cat in the night... :D
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
cthia wrote:I think superstitions are taught. I never would have thought twice about walking under a ladder, breaking a mirror, splitting a pole (walking around the opposite side of a pole or any object than the person or group that you're walking with) or allowing a black cat to cross your path.

Some of those "superstitions" are actually understandable.

Ladder - How many have you seen slip or fall? Having someone land on top of you at the same time that a sliding ladder has clonked you on the head is never pleasant.
Breaking A Mirror - Mirrors were extremely expensive prior to the invention of plate glass. As such, it was easier to explain to rowdy children that breaking a mirror caused bad luck (including being spanked so hard that sitting down was impossible for a week) than go through how expensive getting a replacement was.
Splitting A Pole - Poles are sometimes used instead of fences to delineate paths. Go the wrong side and you risk literally walking into someone. And may god have mercy on your shoulders if you are holding a leash and the dog decides to run round the pole while you are distracted...
Black Cat - This one is pure superstition dating back to the Witchcraft Panic and the odd belief that witches selected black cats as familiars because they were impossible to see at night.

I suppose we all eventually figured out the dangers of walking under a ladder, and being ON one too. Being on a ladder is more dangerous than walking under it, if you have a cheap ladder and or don't know what you're doing.

Black cats still give me the heebie geebies. But what's with "Step on a crack, break your mother's back?" WTH!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:56 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Only a short step from this to taboos. Most of those do have some underlying logic.
The ban on pork taboo that started in the Middle East is a classic, due to various pathogens in that area that like pigs and humans. Easy to see how a Rabbi said don't eat pork, people did and died. Well cooked pork elsewhere is quite safe.
Incest is another obvious one, with many negatives, from genetic defects to emotional disaster.
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Only a short step from this to taboos. Most of those do have some underlying logic.
The ban on pork taboo that started in the Middle East is a classic, due to various pathogens in that area that like pigs and humans. Easy to see how a Rabbi said don't eat pork, people did and died. Well cooked pork elsewhere is quite safe.
Incest is another obvious one, with many negatives, from genetic defects to emotional disaster.

Taboos are always a thorny subject, whose thorns can get sharp from country to country.

Demons may still live in pork. Have you ever mashed bacon while you're frying it? It squeals like a screaming pig. And grease pops out like the pig is sloshing around in the pan. LOL

Post by bigrunt   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:52 pm

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

Cash must be all the same direction with the heads facing the front of the wallet
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:45 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

bigrunt wrote:Cash must be all the same direction with the heads facing the front of the wallet

I know right! I got a serious problem with disordered cash. Not just right side up, but facing the right direction, as you say. It really rubs me the wrong way when a cashier gives me back disordered cash. It is only one step below a drunk's balled up cash. If you carry it like it is trash, you will lose it like it is trash.

I learned that habit from my father. He said, "If you disrespect money, it will disrespect you."

I was a little kid playing with marbles and I carried my marbles and cash in the same pocket, because I would win so many marbles I needed all of my pockets. My father hated that. He asked me once, "Which do you care more about, your money or your marbles?

"Well if you have to think about it, maybe you should leave one of them at home." LOL

The priorities of a small boy may be a bit askew!

Return to Free-Range Topics...