Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

"Forgettable" Star Trek movies, and others, for quarantine.

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
"Forgettable" Star Trek movies, and others, for quarantine.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:00 pm

TFLYTSNBN

This came up on my home page:

https://whatculture.com/film/12-awful-f ... get?page=1

My immediate thought was that one of the movies would be:

THE WICKED LADY with Marina Sirtis who played Councilor Troy.

For those of you who haven't seen the movie, it features an infamous whip fight scene between Marina and Faye Dunniway. Faye literally whips Marina's dress right off her! There is another scene of Marina full frontal nude.
Re: "Forgettable" Star Trek movies, and others, for quaranti
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

And for those who prefer more cerebral fare, may I put forth Enemy Mine, starring Dennis Quaid and Lois Gosset Jr.
While most certainly Sci-fi, it is also an interesting example of how people from mutually-hostile cultures can co-operate when required, even to the point of actually becoming friends.

For those who like Star Wars (or at least, Star Wars before Disney grabbed it and decided to unleash Rian Johnson on it), the fan-films Darth Maul: Apprentice and TIE Fighter: Short Movie will be diverting as examples of what could have been...

For a so-bad-it's-awesome film, you cannot beat Flash Gordon. The kitschy costumes and sets are more camp than a field of Scouts, they had to over-dub every single thing the lead actor said and the plot has holes in it that you could fly War Rocket Ajax through with ease.
On the other hand, Brian Blessed is obviously having the time of his life as VULTAN! KING OF THE HAWKMEN! while the music by Queen cannot be bettered.

Switching to non-sci-fi, the Rutger Hauer film Blind Fury is a kind of guilty pleasure, being effectively a modern re-do of Zaitochi. Seeing a blind swordsman take down an entire criminal syndicate during a rescue mission never gets old...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Michael Everett wrote:And for those who prefer more cerebral fare, may I put forth Enemy Mine, starring Dennis Quaid and Lois Gosset Jr.
While most certainly Sci-fi, it is also an interesting example of how people from mutually-hostile cultures can co-operate when required, even to the point of actually becoming friends.

For those who like Star Wars (or at least, Star Wars before Disney grabbed it and decided to unleash Rian Johnson on it), the fan-films Darth Maul: Apprentice and TIE Fighter: Short Movie will be diverting as examples of what could have been...

For a so-bad-it's-awesome film, you cannot beat Flash Gordon. The kitschy costumes and sets are more camp than a field of Scouts, they had to over-dub every single thing the lead actor said and the plot has holes in it that you could fly War Rocket Ajax through with ease.
On the other hand, Brian Blessed is obviously having the time of his life as VULTAN! KING OF THE HAWKMEN! while the music by Queen cannot be bettered.

Switching to non-sci-fi, the Rutger Hauer film Blind Fury is a kind of guilty pleasure, being effectively a modern re-do of Zaitochi. Seeing a blind swordsman take down an entire criminal syndicate during a rescue mission never gets old...

When watching ENEMY MINE, did you recognize the alien singing a song from Westside Story?

Vintage Flash Gordon is a lot of fun. The movie was hillarious, especially the King of the Hawk Men. If you heard someone yelling "Yes! Bring on bore works" that was me.

Of course FLESH GORDON is a great, guilty pleasure as are Pam Grier movies.
Post by edgeworthy   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:15 pm

edgeworthy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

For a Terrible movies that are fun to watch list there's always Steven Seagal's opus Under Siege, where he is out-acted by 45,000 tons of machined steel, oh and Erika Eleniak's breasts!

Or the Disney trying to cash in on Star Wars before they just did cash in on Star Wars, The Black Hole. Imagine if you will the standard Disney formula but with space, you keep expecting the robots to burst into song.

If you have to watch a forgettable Star Trek movie, try number Five, but skip straight to the end credits for the excellent rendition of the Klingon Battle-Theme.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:41 pm

TFLYTSNBN

TCM just played all of the Toshiro Mufume samurai movies! I recorded them of course.

Now hoping for a marathon of Pam Grier and Sybil Danning movies.

Return to Free-Range Topics...