Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

At the risk of rousing David's Ire...

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
At the risk of rousing David's Ire...
Post by ReaverKing   » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:04 am

ReaverKing
Midshipman

Hi. Been a fan for a long time, and this feels like a STUPID topic for my second post on your forums but...

Does Brexit remind you of the plots to any of your books? because it does to me.

It has all the hallmarks of what I consider "Standard David Weber Backstory":

A short-sighted political leader sees a chance to gain political capital domestically by making extremely terrible foriegn policy, thus setting in motion a chain of events that leads inexorably to a full-scale war nobody actually wanted. A David Weber novel ensues.

Since the original deadline was next week and it's only been extended until April 12, I was just wondering:

What would happen next in a David Weber novelization of Brexit? Assasinations? A chapter or two devoted to the Scheming Third Party? Several chapters of character-building exposition and busywork to show off the protagonist's unique capabilities before the point-of-no-return gets crossed and the Inciting Incident finally pops off? All of the above?

I only ask because the real world is getting to be WAY too much like an unpublished Honor Harrington novel and I'm hoping you can set me straight and tell me I'm just crazy.

Please? I mean, I absolutely ADORE your work but I don't want to LIVE there. Far, far too many people tend to die prematurely. As a leading authority on quality fiction, I feel you are uniquely qualified to comment on our current reality.
Re: At the risk of rousing David's Ire...
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

I've always thought that RFC has a sneaky sort of love for the UK - but I don't think he, or anyone, could love the way the UK has become a laughing stock internationally. If Brexit is fiction, it must be amongst the worst fiction ever written!
Re: At the risk of rousing David's Ire...
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:53 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Bahzellstudent wrote:I've always thought that RFC has a sneaky sort of love for the UK - but I don't think he, or anyone, could love the way the UK has become a laughing stock internationally. If Brexit is fiction, it must be amongst the worst fiction ever written!

ah - those sunny optimistic days of april

it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Return to David's Dimension