Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

The tree and your house

Pull up a chair and talk to Sharon about care and feeding of an author, life in the literary world, crochet, or just life in general.
The tree and your house
Post by Jay6722   » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 am

Jay6722
Commander

Sharon in your May thoughts you say a tree damaged your family's home. I want to know how it damaged your home.
I'm glad that no one was hurt and that you have somewhere to stay while your house is being repaired.
Last edited by Jay6722 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Re: The tree and your house
Post by Gray   » Wed May 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Gray
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Jay6722 wrote:Sharon in you May thoughts you say a tree damaged your family's home. I want to know how it damaged your home.
I'm gald that no one was hurt and that you have somewhere to stay while your house is being repaired.

http://davidweber.net/pictures/index/tree
Post by Jay6722   » Thu May 12, 2011 12:14 am

Jay6722
Commander

Gray, I have actually seen the pictures what I meant by my question was I wanted to know what caused it to fall and damage the Weber household.

Gray wrote:
Jay6722 wrote:Sharon in you May thoughts you say a tree damaged your family's home. I want to know how it damaged your home.
I'm gald that no one was hurt and that you have somewhere to stay while your house is being repaired.

Post by namelessfly   » Sun May 22, 2011 3:46 am

namelessfly

Gray wrote:

This looks like a job for a sylvacidal maniac.

The Namelessfly just happens to be a syvacidal maniac.

I can be right over with my Styhl 880, the most powerful production chainsaw in the world.

Actually, the tree is kind of puny so the 290 would do the job.

My condolences.

I'll go out and buy another Weber book.
Post by Duckk   » Mon May 23, 2011 8:15 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Jay6722 wrote:Gray, I have actually seen the pictures what I meant by my question was I wanted to know what caused it to fall and damage the Weber household.

There was a series of heavy storms during that week that struck the South and Midwest.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Jay6722   » Tue May 24, 2011 1:47 am

Jay6722
Commander

Thank you Duckk. I remember a few years ago when a former next door neighbors had a tree fall on the apartment they were living in at the time. Their apartment was connected to the apartment I live in and when the tree hit it sent a tremor through the entire triplex. No one was hurt but it was still a little scary.

Duckk wrote:
Jay6722 wrote:Gray, I have actually seen the pictures what I meant by my question was I wanted to know what caused it to fall and damage the Weber household.

There was a series of heavy storms during that week that struck the South and Midwest.
Last edited by Jay6722 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by wastedfly   » Tue May 24, 2011 8:04 pm

wastedfly
Commodore

The 880? For cutting giant logs I hope. Good grief I can't even contemplate trying to lug that sucker around all day long! 22-25lbs with fuel in it. I like my 460 as it doesn't have all the danged EPA crap on it so I actually get power unlike the suckers with the EPA breathing down their necks.

How on earth do you delimb a tree with the 880, you must be seriously buff to be able to run that bugger over your head. Bad enough unless you are in a log pile I suppose. Then again sounds like you use your smaller saw for that probably. =)

namelessfly wrote:
Gray wrote:

This looks like a job for a sylvacidal maniac.

The Namelessfly just happens to be a syvacidal maniac.

I can be right over with my Styhl 880, the most powerful production chainsaw in the world.

Actually, the tree is kind of puny so the 290 would do the job.

My condolences.

I'll go out and buy another Weber book.
Post by namelessfly   » Thu May 26, 2011 9:49 pm

namelessfly

Actually I have a 460 in my stable that is my preferred chainsaw. I bought the 880 particularly for felling and bucking some very large (up to 6 ft dia) Doug fir, but I always switched to the 460 for limbing. I've got a couple 290s with bow bars for harvesting Christmas trees.
Post by wastedfly   » Fri May 27, 2011 6:32 pm

wastedfly
Commodore

You bucked up a 6" fir? You do realize that you just turned a $10,000 dollar log into $1000 bucks of firewood right? Yikes!

Just in case you have any more you wish to turn into firewood, let me know, I will buy said tree from you and chop/haul it myself to the mill and make a tidy penny doing so!

namelessfly wrote:Actually I have a 460 in my stable that is my preferred chainsaw. I bought the 880 particularly for felling and bucking some very large (up to 6 ft dia) Doug fir, but I always switched to the 460 for limbing. I've got a couple 290s with bow bars for harvesting Christmas trees.
Post by namelessfly   » Sat May 28, 2011 5:52 pm

namelessfly

I'm not stupid. In my parlance, "bucking" means cutting a tree into logs of marketable length, usually 37 ft. Skidding logs that size can be a real nightmare.

Most of the heavy logging Ive doe was in the 1990s at the market peak created by the Japan export demand, most of my logs got stored at the bottom of Tokyo bay and they are probably floating them now.

wastedfly wrote:You bucked up a 6" fir? You do realize that you just turned a $10,000 dollar log into $1000 bucks of firewood right? Yikes!

Just in case you have any more you wish to turn into firewood, let me know, I will buy said tree from you and chop/haul it myself to the mill and make a tidy penny doing so!

namelessfly wrote:Actually I have a 460 in my stable that is my preferred chainsaw. I bought the 880 particularly for felling and bucking some very large (up to 6 ft dia) Doug fir, but I always switched to the 460 for limbing. I've got a couple 290s with bow bars for harvesting Christmas trees.

Return to Sharon's Corner