Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

The Author and the Fan: What do we owe each other?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Author and the Fan: What do we owe each other?
Post by penny   » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:01 pm

penny
Commodore

I appreciate all of the kind words. Thanks to all of you!!!

I was never being contrarian. Certainly not for sake of. It is just who I am. I can't say it enough. I had several English teachers who said similar things as the very first English teacher who said “You have a very uncanny ability to become the character. It is refreshing. Please don't ever lose it.” In retrospect, I think it must have went on my permanent record and followed me all through grade school and beyond.

I simply see things differently, and I like bringing up the flip side of things. I know my views are not always popular. Matter of fact there were many times, or most of the time, where I knew for certain my views would not be well received, and certainly not popular. But I had to remain true to myself. Agreeing for sake of agreeing with popular opinion just because it is popular is not something I can do. And nothing good can come of it, even in a forum where simply good discussion is the goal. When I absolutely disagree with popular opinion, agreeing just to keep the peace really seems wrong. I realize that people would find it difficult and sometimes outright impossible to accept my views. I understand and accept that. Sometimes it was humorous that you all could not see what I saw? Sometimes it was irritating. Sometimes it was infuriating. Sometimes exasperating. When a discussion evokes those emotions, then those discussions are well worth it, as long as the disagreement is not for the sake of. Then it becomes something disrespectful, seedy, dirty, unenjoyable and ugly. And vice versa.

But passionate is good. Someones my passion comes over wrongly in a forum. My friends tell me my discussions are better suited for formal group settings. That's probably true.

In the ‘Honorverse ramblings and musings’ thread, I could not understand why it is so difficult to understand that Honor had an unfair advantage in the duel on Grayson. I was pulling my hair out. It struck me one day that all of you must be doing the same. I suppose it comes from the variety and differences found in mankind.

When I read about Beowulf ratting the SLN out, I was shocked and knew there was trouble over the horizon. I like the RMN, and I loathed the SL! But I just couldn't follow popular opinion that Beowul did the right thing, even though it may have helped the RMN.

We all have our right to our own views, but when discussions become spiteful, it is time to let them go. It is obvious to me that someone or ones do not want me to be a part of this forum. I have never wanted to be where I am not wanted. That is too difficult. It is unfair to most of you, I admit. For that I am sorry.

At any rate, I can't constantly fight hackers.

I want to apologize for the passive agressive post. It wasn't meant to be. I was trying to contain anger. Anger because my best friend passed, and in the midst of it I am constantly dealing with hackers. My apology.

I have enjoyed the forum, or I would not have been a constant presence for so long. I love the Honorverse as all of you do. And I will certainly look in on the forum from time to time. Just from afar. But the hacking has worn me thin. Sometimes I get the real website, but most of the time for the last several months it is simply an unforgiving text version of the site. My cursor disappears. My edits do not take. My pages do not scroll. DoS attacks. Files pilfered through. My camera hijacked. And when a discussion gets heated, I am denied access to the site. Someone has skills and a whole lot of idle time. My concern is keeping my business computer safe. So far so good. I do not use it to log onto this site. I have seen so many people come and go. I always hoped they were not going through the same thing

Anyway, if my last post was passive aggressive, it wasn't meant to be. But it is the truth, and I even tried to temper that truth. Not too long after I joined the forum, someone gave me good advice. “Just ignore those posts, it is what I do.”

Every time I remember his advice and follow it, everything goes fine and good conversation results. In the currently trending thread ‘SLN and MAlign catching up with Manticoran Superiority’ I followed his advice and skipped over a few speed bumps. It allowed me to get to where I was going . . .

The Spider drive ships should be able to radiate heat into hyper.

I never heard anyway disagree that it is possible. Rather, nobody seems to think it is probable. It seems to be undeniable that the logic is sound and should be possible. But if I had allowed myself to be sidetracked arguing over any and everything, then I never would have arrived at that point. That is what I meant by being sidetracked and arguing over the silly and mundane. A lot of that was my own fault. I should have heeded the advice.

Anyway, laughter is the best medicine since most of us are probably too old for prolong. I guess I tried to fill in for prolong with the Humor thread.

I will miss the discussions for certain! I can't say it enough. Thanks again for the kind words! God bless and Godspeed to all of you!

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:41 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Sometimes I get the real website, but most of the time for the last several months it is simply an unforgiving text version of the site. My cursor disappears. My edits do not take. My pages do not scroll. DoS attacks. Files pilfered through. My camera hijacked.

Of those I've only encountered the text version of the site -- which appears to be a combination of a flakey server (also why the site sometimes is unreachable) and a css caching issue.

Occasionally the server appears to fail to deliver the css style sheet file, the browser will seemingly cache that empty file, and until the cache expired I see the unstyled (ugly text) site. (But only from that browser on that computer. Use a different browser, or visit from a different computer, and it'll probably either get the actual style sheet or still have it cached and so look normal. And eventually the cache expires and the affected browser gets a new chance to grab the correct file and restore styling to the site)
Post by tlb   » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:42 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Sometimes I get the real website, but most of the time for the last several months it is simply an unforgiving text version of the site. My cursor disappears. My edits do not take. My pages do not scroll. DoS attacks. Files pilfered through. My camera hijacked.

Jonathan_S wrote:Of those I've only encountered the text version of the site -- which appears to be a combination of a flakey server (also why the site sometimes is unreachable) and a css caching issue.

Occasionally the server appears to fail to deliver the css style sheet file, the browser will seemingly cache that empty file, and until the cache expired I see the unstyled (ugly text) site. (But only from that browser on that computer. Use a different browser, or visit from a different computer, and it'll probably either get the actual style sheet or still have it cached and so look normal. And eventually the cache expires and the affected browser gets a new chance to grab the correct file and restore styling to the site)

There have been long periods in the last several months when the forum does not get the normal BBS formatting, that has been true for me for a couple of days now. I tried to ask Duckk what was going on, but did not want to complain too much because it makes the response faster.

Several weeks ago (but not recently), I did have trouble with losing a post after pressing submit. I got the message that it was unreachable and when I pressed the back arrow, I was back at the point before I made any edits. After it happened again, I started copying my post before pressing submit. But after not having that problem in a while, I have stopped copying before submitting.

On occasion the cursor will become transparent and I do not know why. It is possible to find it, because there is an effect as it moves over letters. That is very annoying. Also pressing the left button does make a marker briefly visible. Anyway, I have not let it slow my already slow word entry. Cursor is visible again!?

I would have thought that real hacking would require someone to know Penny's actual identity, but I do not know enough to be sure.

PS: I thought that we all agreed that the suggested heat transfer along the spider drive into hyperspace, did NOT happen with either the Ghost or Shark class ships. If we seemed ambivalent about the LD, I expect that was because we did not want to argue about a class that is still being built.

Return to Honorverse