Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

Jeremy X, W.E.B. Du Havel, prolong

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Jeremy X, W.E.B. Du Havel, prolong
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:59 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

I don't recall textev either way, but my sinking feeling is that neither gentleman escaped slavery and came into means early enough in life to get prolong. (And in Jeremy's case, may well have not figured he'd have a chance at living past 50 anyway given his lifestyle, whatever prolong may have done for his longevity.)

Anyone have any other or better evidenced guesses that way?
Re: Jeremy X, W.E.B. Du Havel, prolong
Post by jchilds   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:58 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

JeffEngel wrote:I don't recall textev either way, but my sinking feeling is that neither gentleman escaped slavery and came into means early enough in life to get prolong. (And in Jeremy's case, may well have not figured he'd have a chance at living past 50 anyway given his lifestyle, whatever prolong may have done for his longevity.)

At what ages did they meet Ms. Montaigne? And I think we have textev that Jeremy, at least, escaped almost immediately after being sold by Manpower.
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:05 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

jchilds wrote:
JeffEngel wrote:I don't recall textev either way, but my sinking feeling is that neither gentleman escaped slavery and came into means early enough in life to get prolong. (And in Jeremy's case, may well have not figured he'd have a chance at living past 50 anyway given his lifestyle, whatever prolong may have done for his longevity.)

At what ages did they meet Ms. Montaigne? And I think we have textev that Jeremy, at least, escaped almost immediately after being sold by Manpower.

Both met her in her early years on Old Earth after expulsion from the House of Lords - I don't recall how far back that was though. I don't think that was very early in their careers in either case. Anyway, that's part of a clue if anyone else can complete it.

I believe Du Havel also escaped early, but prolong isn't cheap and most escaped slaves are de facto fugitives and certainly broke immediately afterward. Prolong is not cheap, or available everywhere. So there's going to be a period for each of them between escape and the means for prolong - the big question is whether or not it was too long.
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:13 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:At what ages did they meet Ms. Montaigne? And I think we have textev that Jeremy, at least, escaped almost immediately after being sold by Manpower.

Both met her in her early years on Old Earth after expulsion from the House of Lords - I don't recall how far back that was though. I don't think that was very early in their careers in either case. Anyway, that's part of a clue if anyone else can complete it.

Aha - she was expelled in response to her speech in support of Honor Harrington's Casimir Raid in 1900 P.D., so she would have met those two around 20 years before 1922 P.D. Figure they would have been at least 25 and possibly up to 35 then, and so 45-55 or more now. I don't think that descriptions of Jeremy at least suit a 55 year old man without prolong too well, though he was probably "designed" with a face that wouldn't show age much and he's certainly had cause to stay in excellent shape.
Post by svenhauke   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:12 pm

svenhauke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

interesting question

what would be ?

web and jeremy got 60 years, queen Berry 350 ?

reminds me of the girl that threw rocks at her mothers shuttle cause of her brother, that girl will be around

btw queen allows girl to throw rocks at mothers shuttle because brother did something ...

good royalty
Post by Hutch   » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

svenhauke wrote:interesting question

what would be ?

web and jeremy got 60 years, queen Berry 350 ?

reminds me of the girl that threw rocks at her mothers shuttle cause of her brother, that girl will be around

btw queen allows girl to throw rocks at mothers shuttle because brother did something ...

good royalty

Queen Berry didn't let her throw the rocks...Anton (step-father) did. He knew she couldn't damage the shuttle (after all, he had helped design it), but he did understand teenage girls (having raised two).

Besides, it was the principal of the thing.

As for the OP, it all depends if they were still young enough when they met Catherine Montaigue, since she could have funded prolong for them from her change purse.
Last edited by Hutch on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:03 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

My impression is that most of the "named" ex-genetic we are seeing (Jeremy, W.E.B., etc.) have prolong -- it doesn't say that NO genetic slaves got it, but that the heavy labor line slaves tended NOT to. I'd be surprised if what they have isn't equivalent to 1st Generation depending on when they escaped or were liberated.

Personally, I'd be more pissed if Ginny Usher, aka the wicked wit of the west (Haven), on the galactic map isn't around for at least the next 100 years in the Honorverse.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Teerakaar   » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Teerakaar
Midshipman

Longtime lurker, blah blah blah. Personally, I believe that it doesn't matter when Ms. Montaigne met them. The reason I say that is one word. "Beowulf" I think it's out of Torch of Freedom where Hugh Arai was on his date that he explains his background. That escaped and freed slaves get to "jump the line" for Beowulf citizenship. I believe that citizens get prolong on Beowulf by default. So, if they escaped young enough they "should" get it.
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:17 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Teerakaar wrote:Longtime lurker, blah blah blah. Personally, I believe that it doesn't matter when Ms. Montaigne met them. The reason I say that is one word. "Beowulf" I think it's out of Torch of Freedom where Hugh Arai was on his date that he explains his background. That escaped and freed slaves get to "jump the line" for Beowulf citizenship. I believe that citizens get prolong on Beowulf by default. So, if they escaped young enough they "should" get it.

And similar policies - close enough, at any rate - likely apply to those liberated by or able soon to reach Manticore or (even pre-Theisman Coup) Haven. (I take it Ginny Usher likely benefited that last way, if no other.)

Still though - big universe. As I understand it, both Web and Jeremy escaped without big navy help, and Web at least washed up on another world (Necker, I think?) afterward. Granted, in their place, if they escaped and could get somewhere where they could get their lifespan quadrupled on someone else's dime, surely they would - but that's not a small if.

I suppose it's one just one instance the problem of how anyone stays rich with a conscience in a world where people are going without basic needs, but it's hard to see Cathy Montaigne forking over the cash for quadrupled lifespans for her friends but not escaped slaves she's not close to personally, but it's also hard to imagine that she'd stay rich bankrolling prolong for every escaped slave who isn't getting it financed by some government or charitable organization.
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:37 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
JeffEngel wrote:... but it's also hard to imagine that she'd stay rich bankrolling prolong for every escaped slave who isn't getting it financed by some government or charitable organization.
Given Klaus Hauptman's hatred for genetic slavery and Cathy M's large fortune, plus Beouwulf policies, I imagine that they've probably got a fairly robust relationship that gets the job done whenever possible. He's got the ships, she's got the relationships, Beowulf has the resources, and whatever bits of cash are needed to make it all happen are small change by comparison. My understanding from RFC's infodumps is that getting the prolong centers set up on the smaller/verge worlds that is so terribly expensive to begin with, then the per person cost begins to fall.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse