Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

OpForce against OpForce

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: OpForce against OpForce
Post by munroburton   » Sun May 24, 2015 4:45 am

munroburton
Admiral

Tom wrote:I think that he made it to Admiral is evidence of that--even the most highly placed patrons couldn't get him through if he were literally imbecilic.

That doesn't say much, as any officer that makes it to the rank Captain of the List is guaranteed eventual promotion to Admiral through time alone. See Thomas Bachfisch, who made it from Captain to full Admiral whilst permanently beached.

In Janacek's case, I think there was an indirect mention(referring to the number of stars on uniform) somewhere in the books that he had reached Vice Admiral before he retired from active duty and subsequently reached full Admiral.

There were other idiot flag officers in the RMN - Harold Styles and Elvis Santino being notable examples of how far patronage can elevate someone.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

as any officer that makes it to the rank Captain of the List is guaranteed eventual promotion to Admiral through time alone.

Even our favorite villain, Pavel Young, would have made flag rank if he had not been dismissed from the service (Capt Bachfisch was merely "dismissed his ship," while Elvis Santino survived without any apparent penalty than a less than stellar OER. Which could be dismissed by his supporters as sour grapes from a disgraced superior. Much like Santino's eventual treatment of Jarulski. ).

The key thing was to short stop the Youngs, Santinos and Janaceks of the world before they make List.

Edited to manually correct autocomplete misspelling of Santino's name.
Last edited by Fox2! on Fri May 29, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun May 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Tom wrote:
even the most highly placed patrons couldn't get him through if he were literally imbecilic.

See Santino, Elvis.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 26, 2015 2:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Gees! I feel like an old dinosaur.

I saw my niece this weekend. (I love the beach and beach parties.) She is only 13 now and she was telling me how much she liked WarGames. It was never made clear if she was just discovering WarGames or if that was a rewatch. WarGames came out in 1983. I can't believe it's been so long ago. I can hardly believe even less that it can be so new to my niece. I often forget how young she is.

Anyways, near the end of the movie is the scene where the WOPR is going through all of the permutations of Global Thermonuclear War onscreen. It is determining kill and survival ratios from all angles depending on who would actually initiate first strike. It was impressive and made for some very dramatic scenes. My niece says it sort of startled her. (I admitted to it being a bit unsettling to me when I first watched it as well.)

Anyways, she asked if I thought Caparelli and Pat Givens in the War Room, "The Pit" has benefit of similar simulations that could guestimate carnage from specific data inputted on specific battles.

The implication being that Haven (Theisman) would have had access to the same computers on Haven. Her question ended up being whether I thought Operation Beatrice was conceived by computer? I think that's an interesting question. Simulations and very super computers are a staple in the Honorverse. "The Pit" can surely simulate according to parameters.

The question would also be raised regarding the League. I can't believe that Operation Raging Justice was suggested by the current WOPR. Of course, the computer would be at the mercy of inputted data. Proper assessment of threat parameters and knowledge of opposing navies' strength. GIGO (Garbage in garbage out.)

It was an interesting discussion when I wasn't looking at scantily clad bikinis and assessing threat vectors of my own - with my fiancée being there.

Edit:
The very dramatic WarGame scene with the WOPR (Joshua) assessing threat values. It is so dramatic that Ally Sheedy had to turn away from the screen, placing her head on Matthew Broderick's shoulder.

https://youtu.be/eeOHEU7Ykyg

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Tom   » Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Tom
Ensign

Fox2! wrote:
Tom wrote:
even the most highly placed patrons couldn't get him through if he were literally imbecilic.

See Santino, Elvis.

Elvis Santino is an arrogant bully with delusions of competence. He is not, however, literally imbecilic--that is to say, afflicted with moderate mental retardation.
He, along with Janacek, suffer from a self-inflicted medical condition that I refer as having your head so far up your digestive tract that if you shoved it forward six inches you'd see daylight.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 26, 2015 8:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
Tom wrote:

See Santino, Elvis.

Tom wrote:Elvis Santino is an arrogant bully with delusions of competence. He is not, however, literally imbecilic--that is to say, afflicted with moderate mental retardation.
He, along with Janacek, suffer from a self-inflicted medical condition that I refer as having your head so far up your digestive tract that if you shoved it forward six inches you'd see daylight.

:lol:

And they couldn't get a neurosurgeon to touch their problem, and proctologists aren't qualified even when the subjects have shit for brains!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
BobfromSydney wrote:Goodness Cthia, as a chess-player myself I don't normally take giant sets very seriously - okay for spectator events but otherwise just a gimmick.
The way you have described that room makes me want to make a game there! That chess/battle room sounds amazing :)

It really is amazing Bob. It really is. Initially, I was surprised that my sister agreed to turn it into a chess room, and she had agreed to do so so quickly. But then she became so obsessed with getting everything so specific. My niece teased her that she was acting like a dictator and a general before the room was even complete. But now that the room is complete, Tierney and I yield to her obsession. My sister got everything just right - perfectly. Which brings me to an item I had left out of the details. My sister used two different colors of marble for the floor. White with brown grain. Medium brown with natural grain. We wanted black and white, my niece and I. My sister would make a puking gesture at the recommendation. Tierney and I were overruled - by the dictator. When it came time to have the floor assembled, my sister was throwing a hissy fit because we then found out that she had ordered yet a third darker color of brown for the borders of the floor; the darker brown was not sent. We thought it too much trouble and a bit much. After giving the company a piece and then another piece of her mind, and after an interminable delay, the floor was complete. The darker brown border pulls everything together and emphasizes the floor - makes it stand out. She was right, we were wrong. The border also emphasizes walking space along the perimeter of the battle field and base camp for each general at the top and bottom. I don't know how I left that huge detail out. It is a testament to my sister's design skills and foresight.

Bob, it really is a joy to play on that floor. Your view of the board is astounding. The battle field appears as I have never seen it before. Things are going on on the Queen's side that appear totally separate from the King's side. On a regular board, they all appear as one mess of pieces. On that floor, each side of the board appear as another stage of operation and distinctly separate battle. You begin to think things in your head such as Company C and Company B, flanking maneuvers, misdirection and theaters of conflict. Then there is the middle of the board which easily appears as your main thrust of forces. And supporting your pawn en appui becomes a necessary and pressing strategy because it stands out like a stranded child if not. Brilliant combinations are conceived like brainstorms coming over the burnt horizon. It's a drug, that room.

The pieces. I cannot say enough about the pieces. The detail obtained in the intricacy of the carvings is amazing craftsmanship. The rooks look so much like castles of heavy stone. The knights become two of your most cherished pieces because they look so powerful on the board. Some say the floor actually makes them castle sooner than they normally would because on this board the dangers are more apparent. Some say they castle when they rarely did before.

At any rate, games played in that room stick in your head for months. They get into your soul. Each move becomes a vivid stage of the battle. You take the games to bed with you in your head. Talk about feeling like a general. My sister has military friends that insist on playing with their uniforms on!

Tierney and I are now referring to it as The Pit - the War Room.

You will never ever forget a single game played on that floor. Win or lose. My sister says that her entire home could catch afire and burn to the ground around the current players - because they'd never notice it. They'd think the excessive heat was being generated by their opponent.

Tierney and her mother have recently added Latin phrases along the hallway leading into the War Room. I don't speak Latin but they seem so apropos. The English translations are not included. It's amazing how many people recognize the phrases. They are conversation pieces in and of themselves. Taken directly from the net - with translations and source.

Cur ante tubam tremor occupat artus?
Why should fear seize the limbs before the trumpet sounds? (Virgil)

victis honor
Honour to the vanquished

veni vidi vici
I came, I saw, I conquered
(Julius Caesar's report of victory in 47 B.C. over Pharnaces, king of Pontus)

in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

bella horrida bella
Wars, horrid wars (Virgil)

bella detesta matribus
Wars, the horror of mothers (Horace)

bellum omnium in omnes
A war of all against all

bellum internecinum
Internecine war, a war of extermination

bellum letale
Lethal war, deadly war

bellum domesticum
Strife/war among family members

My personal addition, stolen from my very first favorite author is the best, IMO.

In Henry VI Part III, 1592:

QUEEN MARGARET:
Off with his head, and set it on York gates;
So York may overlook the town of York.

My niece had a surprise for me during the holidays and I promised to share. I had to make a quick run to my sister's home about an hour and a half away. The suspense was excruciating.

What I thought she was hiding for weeks was not even close to what was to amaze me.

She had been picking my brain regarding commercial computer programs in general. Well, regarding how to go about disassembling them. Well, regarding how to best go about extending their capabilities once she disassembled them. Well, regarding the most efficient way of extending their capabilities once she disassembled them. She was asking specific questions for a couple of months without giving out any information as to her project.

Tierney is a very accomplished programmer. Her go to language of choice is RISC. Her RISC skills rival my own. But she hasn't actually tackled hijacking another program to do her bidding other than trivial hooks and or altering algorithms. She has always preferred her own programming from the ground up. So what?... is a question that plagued me for weeks.

I arrive at my sister's home. Straight into the War Room she takes me. Sis in tow with a peculiar grin.

The little genius has disassembled and reprogrammed our favorite chess program and interfaced it with a commercial production computer she bought a couple years ago. Its an elaborate but quite practical and extremely functional very small footprint system. The telescopic robot arm perfectly picks up and places the pieces, facing perfectly forward, exactly in the center of the marble square - much faster than a human can accomplish the entire process. Voice command to move the pieces! Players can play without having to physically move themselves! You can now play a game against the computer on a board of this scale! Son-of-a-beotch! I'm. I'm. I'm, very speechless. And plenty damn jealous. And my sister, though proud of her, is never getting control of that room again. And she knows it. People are already fighting to play.

Tierney had to solve so many problems. I have a bazillion questions for her! I see a few potential patents!

I couldn't stay. I had company at the beach house. I can't wait to visit this weekend!

"I bet you'll visit more often now Uncle."

"You damn skippy!" or in my new mil-spec-vernac "Phuckin' A"

Remember, she's only 13 less than six months ago, although she'll be entering college this fall!

Hey, did you see the 11-yr-old boy who graduated high school at 10 and now college at 11 with three associate degrees? Tierney says she feels retarded now. :lol:

10 and 13? I'm the one who feels retarded.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/11-ye ... grees.html

Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:00 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

cthia wrote:
Tierney had to solve so many problems. I have a bazillion questions for her! I see a few potential patents!

I couldn't stay. I had company at the beach house. I can't wait to visit this weekend!

Remember, she's only 13 less than six months ago, although she'll be entering college this fall!

Hey, did you see the 11-yr-old boy who graduated high school at 10 and now college at 11 with three associate degrees? Tierney says she feels retarded now. :lol:

I "only" know what it's like to be one year ahead in two classes (math and English). I'm also a tech nerd, who's into astronomy.
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:
cthia wrote:

I "only" know what it's like to be one year ahead in two classes (math and English). I'm also a tech nerd, who's into astronomy.

You overachievers make me sick! LOL

I almost flunked advanced biology in High School. Dissecting stuff makes me even sicker. It came down to the final exam. I suffered through it and swallowed... let's say for pleasantries, my pride. But I did finish a five year Civil Engineering course in four years, which included a year of foreign study in England. Minor in Computer Science. I am from a big family. Four brothers and four sisters. I was quarterback of the football team since Midget League. So I guess I was born a social creature. LOL

I was in almost every club we had in High School. And I dated everything with a skirt.

You'd have to wonder what kind of child prodigies there are in the HV. I got the impression Honor was held back for security reasons. Genies were kept in the closet. "I know you are smarter than your teachers, honey, but pretend that you are not."

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:44 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:You'd have to wonder what kind of child prodigies there are in the HV. I got the impression Honor was held back for security reasons. Genies were kept in the closet. "I know you are smarter than your teachers, honey, but pretend that you are not."

I got the impression she was stronger and had a faster metabolism, and thus may have been able to think faster than the average kid, but that didn't make her particularly smarter or more intelligent. She was having trouble with her Math skills, after all.

What she excelled at was not something that she'd have had an opportunity to show off as a kid. This is the HV, not some bad Sci-Fi where teenagers are given command of warships.

Your point that she may have had something back because she was a genie is true, though. We did hear that conversation between Stephanie's parents and her. But it seems to me that the majority of the Manticore population would be used to Sphinxians having those characteristics and not batting an eye. Chomps did and Travis never asked if he was a genie. And yes, Travis would have come to that conclusion on his own during and after the Great Cookie Theft Incident, but no one else mentioned it either. It seems that even back then it was not polite conversation to address Sphinxian's genie backgrounds and may have been Manticoran law not to discriminate against it.

Return to Honorverse