Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests

Those In The Shadows: Favorite Minor Characters

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Those In The Shadows: Favorite Minor Characters
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:34 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

We've talked about the friendships - and the romances. We've talked about the one-liners and more. But what about the minor characters? The ones who show up for a page or three, then vanish again for books at a time?

Who are your favorite minor characters in the Honorverse?

I'll kick off: Allen Higgins. Maybe ten pages of screen time all told, but I absolutely adore him. And best of all, if the pattern holds, he's due for another appearance in the upcoming book! Poor darling. I just want to give him the most enormous hug.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Re: Those In The Shadows: Favorite Minor Characters
Post by munroburton   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:55 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Avshari, the comm officer with disastrous tac scores who had the watch when Pierre's son attacked a dreadnought with battlecruisers in energy range.

Also from the same scene, Arlene Wolversham, who was also present in OBS as one of the officers detached to customs inspection.

As killing Pierre's son triggered the Committee of Public Safety, it's no surprise both of them have been in hiding ever since SVW. :lol:
Post by Chaser617   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Chaser617
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Aubrey Wanderman. I'm glad he's still around even if we don't see him very much. To be honest the entire crew of Midshipmen/women from Hexapuma, not just Helen. Thankfully save for Ragnild they are all still with us...
Post by niethil   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:03 pm

niethil
Commander

The unnamed comm lieutenant who happened to be the one recording admiral Caparelli's message to admiral Truman in the War Room in AOV.

She was the very first to learn that Buttercup was being launched.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:08 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Chaser617 wrote:Aubrey Wanderman. I'm glad he's still around even if we don't see him very much. To be honest the entire crew of Midshipmen/women from Hexapuma, not just Helen. Thankfully save for Ragnild they are all still with us...

I'm sorry, but Ansten Fitzgerald, and many of the others on Hexapuma dies when the ship was destroyed during Oyster Bay. Aikawa was on leave and survived, and of course Paulo and Ginger were among those evacuated during hte Weyland drill, and so survived, but Hexapuma was destroyed with all hands.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I'd enjoy borrowing some of Honor's officers from Hawkwing during the Casimir incident that are still alive, retired or no, [that's the only way they don't rank too high...] for any story I could write in the HonorVerse, and maybe some of the crew from the ship that Michael (the crown prince verson) used to rescue Judith from Masada 'way back in the day', because in both cases they did the right thing in the crunch for the "honor of the kingdom".

I'd probably need to borrow but not kill off a mainline character or two for my brief mission, or if those fellers (Tremaine & Harkness) can't be swiped briefly, maybe I can invent and then borrow an Alfredo Yu trained younger version of Judah Yanakov to lead it.
Last edited by SharkHunter on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Chaser617   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Chaser617
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Chaser617 wrote:Aubrey Wanderman. I'm glad he's still around even if we don't see him very much. To be honest the entire crew of Midshipmen/women from Hexapuma, not just Helen. Thankfully save for Ragnild they are all still with us...

I'm sorry, but Ansten Fitzgerald, and many of the others on Hexapuma dies when the ship was destroyed during Oyster Bay. Aikawa was on leave and survived, and of course Paulo and Ginger were among those evacuated during hte Weyland drill, and so survived, but Hexapuma was destroyed with all hands.

ACk, sorry this is what I get for poorly wording my reply.

From what I understand, save for Ragnild, all of the midshipmen/woman (not the rest of the crew) survive OB. Aikawa is on leave, Paolo is on Gryphon with Ginger and Aubrey, Helen is Flag Lieutenant to Tarakov and from what I can tell Leo *might* still be on Kornati since that's where they left him the last time we see him.
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Oh my. I'm in the holiday spirit and all extra mushy and you just had to go and mention Ronnie. Oh my Ronnie. I so loved her. And I would have married her too, I would've. I just love her to pieces. I do. I simply do says I. 'sigh'

Now for my wet two cents ...

I adore the little sweet minx that handled the calvarous wormhole transit of Honor Harrington's elements to save the Home System in the Battle of Manticore.

Very loose paraphrase "Great Caesars ghost! WTH! Boys and girls, we're gonna be havin' lots o' company. Lots!"

That little lass should have gotten some sort of medal herself, for her own little courage under fire. At least extraordinary mention.

So, raise your glasses me fellow Honorites, here's to her.

klink klink klink ...

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:

Oh my. I'm in the holiday spirit and all extra mushy and you just had to go and mention Ronnie. Oh my Ronnie. I so loved her. And I would have married her too, I would've. I just love her to pieces. I do. I simply do says I. 'sigh'

Now for my wet two cents ...

I adore the little sweet minx that handled the calvarous wormhole transit of Honor Harrington's elements to save the Home System in the Battle of Manticore.

Very loose paraphrase "Great Caesars ghost! WTH! Boys and girls, we're gonna be havin' lots o' company. Lots!"

That little lass should have gotten some sort of medal herself, for her own little courage under fire. At least extraordinary mention.

So, raise your glasses me fellow Honorites, here's to her.

klink klink klink ...

You're thinking of Stephania Grimm, whom I also adore and who was next on my list. :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:I'm sorry, but Ansten Fitzgerald, and many of the others on Hexapuma dies when the ship was destroyed during Oyster Bay. Aikawa was on leave and survived, and of course Paulo and Ginger were among those evacuated during hte Weyland drill, and so survived, but Hexapuma was destroyed with all hands.

Chaser617 wrote:ACk, sorry this is what I get for poorly wording my reply.

From what I understand, save for Ragnild, all of the midshipmen/woman (not the rest of the crew) survive OB. Aikawa is on leave, Paolo is on Gryphon with Ginger and Aubrey, Helen is Flag Lieutenant to Tarakov and from what I can tell Leo *might* still be on Kornati since that's where they left him the last time we see him.

They would have picked up the detachment up on the way so he could get promoted with the rest of the middies.

Khumalo sent a Marine detachment to replace them, as soon as he got a dispatch about the success against the FAK. They probably ended up on Spindle until they could rejoin their ship.

If he got a regular ship assignment (or something planetside), Leo is fine.

Rob

Return to Honorverse