Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests

Those In The Shadows: Favorite Minor Characters

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Those In The Shadows: Favorite Minor Characters
Post by Hutch   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

A couple I forgot: Yuri Rademacher and Sharon Justice.

Even if they have only been in a short story (Fanatic) and one novel (Cauldron of Ghosts) they are among my favorites.

And yes, they are probably the creation of Eric Flint, but I enjoy them as part of the Honorverse anyway.

And Kevin Usher...although he's sort of a "Medium" character as he has played roles in numerous novels, from "A Short Victorious War" to the present.

And who doesn't love Ginny Usher....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:33 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
exiledtoIA wrote:Dicey.
I want more of his adventures helping ADM Gold Peak maintain her weight.

I want Dicey stealing Michelle's doughnuts.

I want Dicey gossiping with Khumalo's, Estelle's, Michelle's, Bernardus', and Alquezar's bodyguard 'cats.

I want Dicey cuddling up to Michael Oversteegen.

I want Dicey wrapping Aivars Terekhov around his massive paw.

I want Dicey jumping into Khumalo's lap, purring up a storm, and refusing to move.

And Khumalo refusing to make him.

I want more of Michelle's Dicey-related or Dicey-induced snark.

Basically I want as much of Dicey as RFC can manage to give us while still actually moving the plot forward.

I want the ability on this forum to give thumbs up to the best posts! Like this one.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Valen123456   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Valen123456
Lieutenant Commander

roseandheather wrote:
exiledtoIA wrote:Dicey.
I want more of his adventures helping ADM Gold Peak maintain her weight.

I want Dicey stealing Michelle's doughnuts.

I want Dicey gossiping with Khumalo's, Estelle's, Michelle's, Bernardus', and Alquezar's bodyguard 'cats.

I want Dicey cuddling up to Michael Oversteegen.

I want Dicey wrapping Aivars Terekhov around his massive paw.

I want Dicey jumping into Khumalo's lap, purring up a storm, and refusing to move.

And Khumalo refusing to make him.

I want more of Michelle's Dicey-related or Dicey-induced snark.

Basically I want as much of Dicey as RFC can manage to give us while still actually moving the plot forward.

I want so see a scene where the "animal familiars" of Honor and Mike meeting for the first time. Given my experiences with cats here is how I envision it going down: -

Samantha and Nimitz enter a space containing Dicey.

Dicey gets nervous and tries to show that he is the boss.

Unfortunately masculine suicide protocols kick in and he shows some politeness towards Samantha.

Samantha turns to face him ... there is a very fast blur of movement ... and then Dicey is hiding under some furniture and Samantha is preening her whiskers.

For the rest of his days Dicey hides under something whenever a treecat enters his relative presence ... and Samantha treats everything anyone offers to Dicey as hers by rite of conquest.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

::a Naughty Moose contributes::

Honoraire Huppe', New Tuscan Minister of Trade.

She was present while Aldona A. was "seducing" the
New Tuscany cabinet.

Her first name and initials are significant.
Her last name is probably pronounced "who-pay" which is
reasonable for a Minister of Trade. :mrgreen:

Naughty Moose
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I simply must add Helga Boltitz, although I hope she doesn't remain a shadowy minor character for long. She's got babies to make!

And if Gwen has anything to say about it, Cupid's arrow will produce him an heir. After all, he is an Archer. (pun intended)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:35 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Who are your favorite minor characters in the Honorverse?

-----------

No one, thus far, has mentioned Bosun Sally McBride or Jesus Ramirez.

Both excellent charactors.

-- Stewart
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:03 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

stewart wrote:Who are your favorite minor characters in the Honorverse?

-----------

No one, thus far, has mentioned Bosun Sally McBride or Jesus Ramirez.

Both excellent charactors.

-- Stewart

Well, I'd assume Ramirez stays occupied doing San Martin presidential kinda things though. McBride though -- I think we put McBride and Susan Hibson back into Honor's clutches when they go after the Detweilers/Anismova(s) of the world up close and personal.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Captain Harriet Benson, and most of the Elysian Space Navy.

Aside:
I've received several emails, most positive. Most. About my 'unprecedented rise in rank.' I've attempted to explain and downplay it so many times that perhaps a formal public venue is required.

Latest response to an email ...

member wrote:
Subject: Honorverse favorite one-liners

cthia wrote:
I'm a Lieutenant(Junior Grade)! (01/25/2014 'C' addition))
I have gotta celebrate. Drinks on me all. At Cosmos! On my salary???

I do believe that your rise through the ranks is unprecedented. Do you have a life outside the forums? :lol:

Lab Manager at a Civil Engineering firm. Surrounded by computers. Mostly lab work. Sitting around awaiting results and watching equipment. Ever watch CSI, Abby? We have lots of time to play around - while awaiting results. Downside, we don't sleep. I just had my lab remodeled months ago. All of the older million dollar equipment is now in my home. I am always working. I used to spend weeks, traveling. Consulting on major bridge projects. I've seen most major bridges of the world from high above a retaining wire. Most of the taller structures as well.

But. When I first joined the forum on January of this year - and I found it while searching for news of the next book - I was on a, use it or lose it, three month vacation, because all I'd ever been concerned with, prior, was my career. My brothers, sisters, friends and fiancée suggested that I lighten up and join a forum. I have never participated in any type social site. Too busy, and I didn't believe in it. I happened upon the Honorverse forums, while on the three month vacation that I indulged with my fiancée. We decided on the beach. I own a beach home on the East Coast. Guess what? We got snowed in, almost the entire three months! Plenty of time to wear her out, and post! Post! Post! During that three month period bore the brunt of my posting.

Before the posting requirements were reworked, it was easy to gain rank.

What you also fail to take into account is that I post, mostly, in the lighter threads. The ones demanding the least amount of time and gray matter and an accompanying Honorverse Ships Reference Manual! That is why I create the lighter, more intimate threads :

Favorite One-Liners
Favorite Passages
Cupid
Ramblings and Musings

etc.

It is because my time is so limited. You don't need to study physics, ship's manuals, mathematics and the like to post in those threads. Well, most of the time. Funny, I always wonder if most of you have time outside the forums, with the detail of your posts required to build new ships, LACs, missiles, etc. :lol:

Also, the One-liners thread hit 1000 posts in less than three months. The three month vacation at the beach I was on! Where and when the bulk of my rank, before posting requirements were reworked, was acquired.

I'd like to say that the above explains it all, but, well, I'm Honor's biggest fan. I am part of her Basilisk Station inner circle. And we all know how quickly in rank rise those connected to Honor. :D

Thanks for all of the congratulations and friendly support.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The poor little chipmunk in therapy that was snuck up on by Nimitz'. :D

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

How about Ganny El. She is a fascinating study of a feisty old lady.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Honorverse