Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Human Treecat Names

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Human Treecat Names
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Of course a cat will stand out. That is my point. Hiding in plain sight. It is the perfect cover. The two-leg has no ties to the navy or the government, but the cat does. However, the entire galaxy is completely oblivious to the intelligence and other abilities of a cat. Why can't the two-leg operate as an eccentric tourist who is showing his beloved treecat the galaxy.

You're kind of describing Harahap and Fire Watch.

Except that treecats' capabilities precede them and often are overblown. We saw that in TEiF, when Fire Watch had to stand outside the field of view of a door camera, so the suspects inside would open it in the first place. Once Harahap, Fire Watch, and Indy got entry, they played on the suspects' incorrect assumption that treecats could read minds.

That is to say, a treecat is not going to be mistaken for a simple pet by most interesting subjects of a spy. They're going to be wary. A treecat riding the shoulders of an inexperienced two-leg is not going to yield useful results.

What you need is a good pair, like Harahap and Fire Watch are.

I agree. Do note upstream where I mentioned that I originally thought Harahap and Firewatch would be instrumental in finding the MA, because Harahap could visit some of his old haunts.

Why do the two of them have to be the only perfect bonded pair for espionage? And if there can be another just as perfect bonded pair as the two of them, how much better would the combo be if one of them is a memory singer?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:14 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Why do the two of them have to be the only perfect bonded pair for espionage? And if there can be another just as perfect bonded pair as the two of them, how much better would the combo be if one of them is a memory singer?

We don't know that they are the only pair. They're the only pair we know about: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I don't know if a memory singer is better. How well can we get data from a memory singer? She can teach every other treecat, but that's not going to help in obtaining detailed technical schematics of Technodyne's latest projects.

In fact, I was going to say that the precondition for a good pair (whether adopted or not) is that both have the necessary skills and personality for the job. Fire Watch used to be Clean Killer, and with that name I'd assume his job in his Clan was more of a sentry in protection of the Clan's domain and his clanmates. Laughs Brightly (Nimitz) might not have been a good candidate when he first adopted Honor. Golden Voice (Samantha) or Sings Truly (Lionheart's sister, Morgana) might have the exact wrong type of personality for this job.

I'm not saying they would be bad. I'm saying we have no evidence for their being good and I see no upside in risking a memory singer for this either.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Why do the two of them have to be the only perfect bonded pair for espionage? And if there can be another just as perfect bonded pair as the two of them, how much better would the combo be if one of them is a memory singer?

We don't know that they are the only pair. They're the only pair we know about: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I don't know if a memory singer is better. How well can we get data from a memory singer? She can teach every other treecat, but that's not going to help in obtaining detailed technical schematics of Technodyne's latest projects.

In fact, I was going to say that the precondition for a good pair (whether adopted or not) is that both have the necessary skills and personality for the job. Fire Watch used to be Clean Killer, and with that name I'd assume his job in his Clan was more of a sentry in protection of the Clan's domain and his clanmates. Laughs Brightly (Nimitz) might not have been a good candidate when he first adopted Honor. Golden Voice (Samantha) or Sings Truly (Lionheart's sister, Morgana) might have the exact wrong type of personality for this job.

I'm not saying they would be bad. I'm saying we have no evidence for their being good and I see no upside in risking a memory singer for this either.

You can't keep saying things like "risk a Memory Singer." If a Memory Singer decides this is what she wants to do, let her do it. She just might have been impacted by the aftermath of Oyster Bay in a way that forces her true hands to want to ensure that that disaster never happens again.

I also considered the logistics of extracting any data a Memory Singer might consume. But, a good storyline would be a pair who are even more advanced than Honor and Nimitz. The Memory Singer's two-leg may be able to see what she sees quite clearly, and translate it. Why not go "whole hog" with the notion. It is a skill that I think will be a no-brainer for Raoul.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:34 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:You can't keep saying things like "risk a Memory Singer." If a Memory Singer decides this is what she wants to do, let her do it. She just might have been impacted by the aftermath of Oyster Bay in a way that forces her true hands to want to ensure that that disaster never happens again.

I stand corrected. If the treecat -- memory singer or no -- wants to do this, they can do it. The Clan might want to have a say in risking a memory singer, but the Clan would resolve that on their own. And your argument of being impacted by the Yawata Strike is a very compelling one.

I also considered the logistics of extracting any data a Memory Singer might consume. But, a good storyline would be a pair who are even more advanced than Honor and Nimitz. The Memory Singer's two-leg may be able to see what she sees quite clearly, and translate it. Why not go "whole hog" with the notion. It is a skill that I think will be a no-brainer for Raoul.

You mean Emily. Raoul's trajectory would have taken him to the Navy, where he'd eventually serve under Tourville; Emily was going to intelligence.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:You can't keep saying things like "risk a Memory Singer." If a Memory Singer decides this is what she wants to do, let her do it. She just might have been impacted by the aftermath of Oyster Bay in a way that forces her true hands to want to ensure that that disaster never happens again.

I stand corrected. If the treecat -- memory singer or no -- wants to do this, they can do it. The Clan might want to have a say in risking a memory singer, but the Clan would resolve that on their own. And your argument of being impacted by the Yawata Strike is a very compelling one.

You mean Emily. Raoul's trajectory would have taken him to the Navy, where he'd eventually serve under Tourville; Emily was going to intelligence.

Actually I was specifically thinking about Raoul because of that "moment" he shared with the cats while he was still a baby. That is a significant cliffhanger in my head.

Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:06 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

What do you think Sonja's treecat name might be?
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:37 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:I'm not saying they would be bad. I'm saying we have no evidence for their being good and I see no upside in risking a memory singer for this either.

You can't keep saying things like "risk a Memory Singer." If a Memory Singer decides this is what she wants to do, let her do it. She just might have been impacted by the aftermath of Oyster Bay in a way that forces her true hands to want to ensure that that disaster never happens again.

Well we can to a certain point, because isn't Samantha one of perhaps a dozen treecats in over 2 centuries that had the mind-voice to be a memory singer and chose the adoption bond over staying with The People? Compared to the overall treecat population, Memory Singers are pretty rare due to their mind-voice strength. An adopted treecat, memory singer or not, you can't really stop them from going into danger, again see Samantha as an example even when she was with Harold Tschu.

But unadopted Memory Singers would be practically clubbed over the head and tied up to prevent them going into potential danger. Out of all the volunteer guard cats, I don't think even one are memory singers. They seem to understand their best place is only going so far as Mount Royal to experience mind-glows directly of the Humans who need to be guarded or having other treecats get them first, and singing those same mind-glows to the volunteer scouts who then choose who they'd be compatible with. Interestingly it sounds close to the same process that was described for how the cats were conspiring to get the various Royal Heirs catted.

iirc aren't all memory songs basically first-person? If true, then a Memory Singer accompanying a spy and acquiring some kind of technical data would have exactly the same first-person (first-cat?) POV as a former scout (like Nimitz or Clean Killer). To any cat who sees that memory thereafter, it has no differences so why would you risk an unadopted Memory Singer to get exactly the same memory?

From the Human agent perspective, in most cases you're generally going to want a former scout with you. They're going to be far more experienced and practiced at staying out of sight, moving silently, moving around for good vantage points, better at detecting as-yet undetected presences, better at spotting things that don't quite belong, better at attacking if necessary, and so on and so forth.

Yes a memory singer can experience & learn much of that in one manner or another, but that doesn't mean they can instantly become their clan's top scout just from a few mnemonic experiences. First they'd need to gain the knowledge and then they'd need to practice and practice so it becomes habitual & second-nature. Adopted Memory Singer you can't stop them, but they'd also have that much more personal reason to practice until they are among the best of the best of the best scouts.

tldr: adopted memory singers can and will go out no matter the dangers their place is with their two-leg. Unadopted ones are rightfully held back or prevented from going out because their risk-taking is unnecessary and not worth what little benefits they might provide due to their rarity.
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:What do you think Sonja's treecat name might be?

Something like "Thinks Clearly".

Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:55 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

cthia wrote:

Something like "Thinks Clearly".

Thanks!
Post by tlb   » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:26 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

In To End in Fire we learn that her guard-cat's name is Hunts Silently, but we do not see the cat think of her name.

Return to Honorverse