Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 64 guests

Human Treecat Names

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Human Treecat Names
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:02 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

sonex wrote::o Something happened to "Human Treecat Names" subject. Where did it go???? :oops:

The thread moved on from the initial topic and is now completely unrecognisable? I'm shocked to hear that! Shocked, I tell you!
Post by tlb   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:16 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Next we're going to have treecats elevated to peer status so they can serve in the House of Lords. Earl Bright Water, anyone?

But speaking of treecats voting and paying taxes... how about the Stilties? Treecats may have been in neolithic hunter-gatherer stage in the midst of the transition to agriculture and farming, but the native Medusans had already had cities by the time they were discovered. It doesn't look like they had progressed past the Bronze Age stage (hadn't discovered steel on their own), but uplifting them to modern stage would be doable within a couple of generations. More importantly, didn't they trade with humans?

I do not think that Stilties are citizens of Manticore. I am not even sure of the status of the planet; I believe it may officially belong to the Stilties and Manticore provides protective cover. Or perhaps Manticore claims ownership of the planet, but still treats the natives as independent.
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A good treecat name would be Sherlock.

A good story would be a male Treecat born as a memory singer. And he uses his talents as a spy. Or a female memory singer in the same capacity.

Can you imagine a Treecat choosing a career in the Navy as a spy, and he bonds with someone to accompany him everywhere he goes. The traditional dynamic is completely switched around. <I am the navy half of the equation, the two-leg is simply allowed to tag along since we are bonded.>

The cat picks someone like Zilwicki to bond with and to have his back. They are following leads all over the Galaxy. And this cat remembers everything she hears, and lying isn't an option. Her bonded mate translates the sign language. What a nice storyline.

I thought that was going to happen with Clean Killer and Firebrand.

And of course the bonded human just so happens to be named Watson.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:34 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I do not think that Stilties are citizens of Manticore. I am not even sure of the status of the planet; I believe it may officially belong to the Stilties and Manticore provides protective cover. Or perhaps Manticore claims ownership of the planet, but still treats the natives as independent.

From Hos
The Basilisk System was annexed by Manticore in 1865 PD when the terminus was fully surveyed, but a vicious political squabble over the rights of the native sentient species of the planet Medusa delayed the formal declaration of sovereignty over the entire system. The political fallout after the Havenite attempt to seize the system in1901 allowed the Cromarty government to formally annex Basilisk as a member system, with the provision that formal admission of Medusans as full citizens of the Star Kingdom would occur after a fifty year period. At that time they would be allowed to vote on whether to accept or refuse membership

and
Relationship with the Crown

Medusa is held by the Medusan people, and all human enclaves are on T-century leases. The Star Kingdom has regulated contact with off-worlders much more tightly since the off-world incited Mekoha Uprising in 1900. Following that incident and the First Battle of Basilisk, the Crown adopted an official policy under which Medusa may join the Star Kingdom as a member world or remain independent, following an eventual plebiscite. The creation of a coalition of city-states to act as the basis for a unified world government is a precondition for such a plebiscite, however, and it is uncertain if this will ever happen or if the Medusans even desire such an arrangement. Certain factions in the Manticoran Parliament also appear to be in two minds where the possibility of Medusan membership in the SKM is concerned, and most political analysts (and sociologists) estimate that it will be at least another thirty T-years—and probably much longer—before any such plebiscite might realistically be expected.

Remember HoS is dated ~May 1st 2021 - this info is fairly modern, though ~2.5 years out of date.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:41 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:A good treecat name would be Sherlock.

A good story would be a male Treecat born as a memory singer. And he uses his talents as a spy. Or a female memory singer in the same capacity.

Can you imagine a Treecat choosing a career in the Navy as a spy, and he bonds with someone to accompany him everywhere he goes. The traditional dynamic is completely switched around. <I am the navy half of the equation, the two-leg is simply allowed to tag along since we are bonded.>

The cat picks someone like Zilwicki to bond with and to have his back. They are following leads all over the Galaxy. And this cat remembers everything she hears, and lying isn't an option. Her bonded mate translates the sign language. What a nice storyline.

I thought that was going to happen with Clean Killer and Firebrand.

And of course the bonded human just so happens to be named Watson.

Male Cats are never Memory singers, that is a Female role in Treecat society.

From Hos
“memory singers”
Female treecats’ mind-voices are normally stronger than those of males, but a very small number of females also possess the
telepathic equivalent of eidetic memory. Able to actually experience and reproduce the remembered thoughts and actions of other ’cats, these memory singers become their clans’ repositories of history and knowledge. In addition, because a memory singer can pass actual experiences from one treecat to another, they are capable of transmitting new knowledge or new techniques throughout the entire ’cat population with astonishing speed.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:51 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:A good story would be a male Treecat born as a memory singer. And he uses his talents as a spy. Or a female memory singer in the same capacity.

Spying for whom? There's no Treecat government and, if it existed, it would be aligned with or part of the SEM. So at best this is internal security spying.
Post by tlb   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:59 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Relationship with the Crown

Medusa is held by the Medusan people, and all human enclaves are on T-century leases. The Star Kingdom has regulated contact with off-worlders much more tightly since the off-world incited Mekoha Uprising in 1900. Following that incident and the First Battle of Basilisk, the Crown adopted an official policy under which Medusa may join the Star Kingdom as a member world or remain independent, following an eventual plebiscite. The creation of a coalition of city-states to act as the basis for a unified world government is a precondition for such a plebiscite, however, and it is uncertain if this will ever happen or if the Medusans even desire such an arrangement. Certain factions in the Manticoran Parliament also appear to be in two minds where the possibility of Medusan membership in the SKM is concerned, and most political analysts (and sociologists) estimate that it will be at least another thirty T-years—and probably much longer—before any such plebiscite might realistically be expected.

That is sort of what I guessed (a combination of first and second guesses). I do not have an electronic copy of HoS, which explains why my quick search did not find it (since it did not occur to me to open a book).
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:A good story would be a male Treecat born as a memory singer. And he uses his talents as a spy. Or a female memory singer in the same capacity.

Spying for whom? There's no Treecat government and, if it existed, it would be aligned with or part of the SEM. So at best this is internal security spying.

Spying for the Manticoran government! Nobody would expect that the Treecat is the spy and the human is the "dummy." They can operate in the Verge. Smoking Frog. All over the Galaxy. They can join the Ghost Hunters.

A question arises though. Would a Treecat be licensed to carry a pulsar all over the galaxy?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Spying for whom? There's no Treecat government and, if it existed, it would be aligned with or part of the SEM. So at best this is internal security spying.

cthia wrote:Spying for the Manticoran government! Nobody would expect that the Treecat is the spy and the human is the "dummy." They can operate in the Verge. Smoking Frog. All over the Galaxy. They can join the Ghost Hunters.

A question arises though. Would a Treecat be licensed to carry a pulsar all over the galaxy?

I doubt that people are licensed to carry weapons all over the galaxy, so the cats probably cannot either.

Being with a tree-cat gives away that the pair are from Grand Alliance; so with or without weapons they will not blend in very well. That undercuts their ability to be spies.
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Spying for whom? There's no Treecat government and, if it existed, it would be aligned with or part of the SEM. So at best this is internal security spying.

cthia wrote:Spying for the Manticoran government! Nobody would expect that the Treecat is the spy and the human is the "dummy." They can operate in the Verge. Smoking Frog. All over the Galaxy. They can join the Ghost Hunters.

I doubt that people are licensed to carry weapons all over the galaxy, so the cats probably cannot either.

Being with a tree-cat gives away that the pair are from Grand Alliance; so with or without weapons they will not blend in very well. That undercuts their ability to be spies.

I dunno. But I can't imagine Grayson Armsmen laying down their pulsars even on Solly soil.

"LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS."

"You lay down your weapons."

"LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS!"

"You lay down your weapons."

Return to Honorverse