Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Honorverse Filk Songs?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse Filk Songs?
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:06 am

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Does anyone know if they're out there, or if there's a good repository of them? I got bored last night and wrote myself a Havenite version of 'Sink The Bismarck', but I can't be the only person out there who's been inspired to mix the stories with music.
Re: Honorverse Filk Songs?
Post by Hornblower   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:55 am

Hornblower

TheGlyphstone wrote:Does anyone know if they're out there, or if there's a good repository of them? I got bored last night and wrote myself a Havenite version of 'Sink The Bismarck', but I can't be the only person out there who's been inspired to mix the stories with music.

What is a FILK Song?
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:50 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

What is a FILK Song?[/quote]

Google is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filk_music

In answer to the original post, there are a couple of threads in the last month with a load of filk songs. (I've avoided them so I can't tell you more than they were there to avoid.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:45 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Well, GofyTomcat1 and I Honorfied a lot of songs recently, including pretty much all of Les Miserables, most of Frozen, and a number of other Disney songs, but I doubt that's what you had in mind. :lol:

More properly, a band called Echo's Children has done several, including "Riding a Tiger" (about Pierre and St-Just), "No Quarter" (about Grayson's reaction to Honor's supposed death), and "Fair Was the Blossom" (about Honor's duel with Burdette, including the excellent line "send for your sword, and may God aid the right."

That help? :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:04 am

TheGlyphstone

roseandheather wrote:Well, GofyTomcat1 and I Honorfied a lot of songs recently, including pretty much all of Les Miserables, most of Frozen, and a number of other Disney songs, but I doubt that's what you had in mind. :lol:

More properly, a band called Echo's Children has done several, including "Riding a Tiger" (about Pierre and St-Just), "No Quarter" (about Grayson's reaction to Honor's supposed death), and "Fair Was the Blossom" (about Honor's duel with Burdette, including the excellent line "send for your sword, and may God aid the right."

Very much, thanks.

Found the Disney song thread after Harold mentioned it - fun and amusing, but yeah, Johnny Horton and Disney don't mix very well.

Thanks for reminding me about Echo's Children, though, I'd heard them before but forgot.
Post by pokermind   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:16 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Some filk songs on You Tube here's a link to "Fair Was the Blossom":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUO6K6a5jM

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I took a shot at a "Banned from Argo adaptation, with GoflyTomcatdoing a riff on it from a Havenite viewpoint. The thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5659
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 am

roseandheather
Admiral

TheGlyphstone wrote:
roseandheather wrote:Well, GofyTomcat1 and I Honorfied a lot of songs recently, including pretty much all of Les Miserables, most of Frozen, and a number of other Disney songs, but I doubt that's what you had in mind. :lol:

Very much, thanks.

Found the Disney song thread after Harold mentioned it - fun and amusing, but yeah, Johnny Horton and Disney don't mix very well.

Thanks for reminding me about Echo's Children, though, I'd heard them before but forgot.

Here is the link to the Les Mis thread, which I'm actually quite proud of - particularly my riff on the finale and a triumphant reprise of "I Dreamed a Dream". Mizzie apparently suits the Honorverse quite a bit better than Disney. :lol:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:45 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

roseandheather wrote:
TheGlyphstone wrote:
Very much, thanks.

Here is the link to the Les Mis thread, which I'm actually quite proud of - particularly my riff on the finale and a triumphant reprise of "I Dreamed a Dream". Mizzie apparently suits the Honorverse quite a bit better than Disney. :lol:

I'm still waiting for Honor Harrington Superstar.

Patiently tapping foot to "What's the Buzz?" :mrgreen:
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:41 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:I'm still waiting for Honor Harrington Superstar.

Patiently tapping foot to "What's the Buzz?" :mrgreen:

Oh, I'm prepared to take a stab at it, even given that my partner in crime is MIA, including such gems as "Eloise Superstar" and "Haven on Their Minds".... as long as you're prepared to put up with Theisman himself singing "I Don't Know How To Love Her" about Eloise.

....or would that be Estelle singing "I Don't Know How To Love Him" about Augustus?

You see the possibilities here? :twisted: :lol:
~*~

Javier & Eloise

Return to Honorverse