Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

Indecision 19XX PD

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Indecision 19XX PD
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:03 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Senior Chief wrote:

Hmmmm how about Victor Cashat... I think he would really shake up the political structure of Haven.

0.0 A man with the mindset of a treecat as commander-in-chief of a military superpower... Is anyone else feeling a chill?
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:11 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

On a related note, Tom Thiessman's been SecWar and CNO combined since the Republic was restored. The impression I've always had is that this was always intended as a temporary measure, a constitutional aberration that was necessary during the rebuilding and reform process. This means that sooner or later the jobs will be split again.

Do you think that there will be a simultaneous replacement of Thiessman in both roles, or will he relinquish one and remain in the other? Personally, I think he'll remain as SecWar (he's to influential not to remain in the cabinet) and appoint a CNO.

If that's the case, any thoughts on who the new CNO would be? My memory for 'second-tier' characters is poor, so I can only think of three candidates that we know of:

1) Lester Tourville - only if it turns out that Thiessman secretly hates him. Lester's a fighting admiral to his boots, taking him off his flag deck would hurt him deeply.

2) Shannon Foraker - I don't think she has the strategic experience for the job, and she won't be getting it for the next few years as she's running the Mad Wizards' Workshop with Sonja Hemphill.

3) Oliver Diamato - He'd need some strategic seasoning, but I think he could do the job. The question is, can the Rpublic spare a proven combat commander of his calibre at this point?
Post by Greentea   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:30 am

Greentea
Commander

Actually, based on the text evidence, what about President Honeker (Tourville's StateSec minder). He had planned to enter politics after he was allowed to retire, assuming he didn't catch a bullet from StateSec

roseandheather wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:I know it will never happen but just imagine the fun that would result from President Foraker :lol:

...do you actively hate the Republic or something?? :lol: 8-)

I love Shannon. We all love Shannon. I love Jimmy Carter, too, but that doesn't make him a great President! (Sorry, Jimmy!!)
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:50 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Greentea wrote:Actually, based on the text evidence, what about President Honeker (Tourville's StateSec minder). He had planned to enter politics after he was allowed to retire, assuming he didn't catch a bullet from StateSec

Yes, I'd like to know what happened to Everard, I don't think we've seen him since before Thiessman's coup.
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:14 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dafmeister wrote:On a related note, Tom Thiessman's been SecWar and CNO combined since the Republic was restored. The impression I've always had is that this was always intended as a temporary measure, a constitutional aberration that was necessary during the rebuilding and reform process. This means that sooner or later the jobs will be split again.

Do you think that there will be a simultaneous replacement of Thiessman in both roles, or will he relinquish one and remain in the other? Personally, I think he'll remain as SecWar (he's to influential not to remain in the cabinet) and appoint a CNO.

If that's the case, any thoughts on who the new CNO would be? My memory for 'second-tier' characters is poor, so I can only think of three candidates that we know of:

1) Lester Tourville - only if it turns out that Thiessman secretly hates him. Lester's a fighting admiral to his boots, taking him off his flag deck would hurt him deeply.

2) Shannon Foraker - I don't think she has the strategic experience for the job, and she won't be getting it for the next few years as she's running the Mad Wizards' Workshop with Sonja Hemphill.

3) Oliver Diamato - He'd need some strategic seasoning, but I think he could do the job. The question is, can the Rpublic spare a proven combat commander of his calibre at this point?

Linda Tranee (sp). She is deeply invoved with the trainning and planning as it is. However I don' thin the positions will split until Theisman retires, he like to pretend he is still in the Navy and wants to hold on to the Admiral rank so will stay CNO and Sec. of Defense.

Greentea wrote:Actually, based on the text evidence, what about President Honeker (Tourville's StateSec minder). He had planned to enter politics after he was allowed to retire, assuming he didn't catch a bullet from StateSec

I am thinking Dennis Lepic (sp). I think he would do a bang up job, but I do like Honeker also, he would fit the bill.
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:35 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Commodore Oakius wrote:Linda Tranee (sp). She is deeply invoved with the trainning and planning as it is. However I don' thin the positions will split until Theisman retires, he like to pretend he is still in the Navy and wants to hold on to the Admiral rank so will stay CNO and Sec. of Defense.

She's a possibility, she's certainly got the administrative ability, it's a question of whether she's got the strategic skill. Perhaps she'd be a better fit as the equivalent of 5th Space Lord.

I see your point about Thiessman keeping both roles until retirement, but I think he'll appoint a successor as CNO before retiring as SecWar. If he quits as both simultaneously, he could establish the precedent of one person holding both positions, which doesn't do much for the concept of civilian control of the military. He'll want to appoint a new CNO and remain as SecWar for a while, to firmly establish the separation of the two offices.

Commodore Oakius wrote:I am thinking Dennis Lepic (sp). I think he would do a bang up job, but I do like Honeker also, he would fit the bill.

LePic is a possibility, he's got a lot of experience in his current job (I want to say Attorney General?).
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Dafmeister wrote:

I'm pretty sure Thiessman will stay in both roles until he's reasonably sure things will stay peaceful and quiet for a while so sparing a proven combat commander wouldn't be as big a deal at that point IMO.
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:17 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:On a related note, Tom Thiessman's been SecWar and CNO combined since the Republic was restored. The impression I've always had is that this was always intended as a temporary measure, a constitutional aberration that was necessary during the rebuilding and reform process. This means that sooner or later the jobs will be split again.

Don't forget Jennifer Bellefeuille. She's a crackerjack combat commander - she might make a good CNO. Trenis is also a good choice, but she might be needed more where she is - it'd be like taking Pat Givens and making her First Space Lord.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:22 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

drothgery wrote:
crewdude48 wrote:Pritchart cannot be Prez forever,

Why not? Haven doesn't have term limits, and there is no proof that people with prolong will ever die of old age.
Having no textev one way or another, it's hard to say. I'd be shocked if Haven doesn't have term limits, at least to the minimal degree of a maximum number of consecutive presidential terms, because given real world voter behavior and prolong, no term limits is a recipe for nearly zero turnover in government.

I thought there was some maybe later canon reference to people being limited to 15 years (maybe confusing it with some fan idea from somewhere)?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:15 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:I thought there was some maybe later canon reference to people being limited to 15 years (maybe confusing it with some fan idea from somewhere)?

There is some text in UH (I think) saying she's limited to 3 terms. This is Queen Elizabeth lamenting because she gets so well with Pritchart.

Return to Honorverse