Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests

Indecision 19XX PD

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Indecision 19XX PD
Post by Phalanx   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Phalanx
Commander

Pritchart cannot be Prez forever, so we must soon have another in the big chair.

Parties -

Constitutional Progressives: Pritchart's Party
Corporate Conservatives:allied with CPP to broaden support of the constitution. Name indicates a huge support from the Havenite business sector.
New Conservatives: Also known as the "Manticore sucks" club. Famous for their "Death to Manticore" Bake Sale and BBQ.
New Democrats:????

What do the parties believe? Who are the candidates?

Am I the only one looking forward to election scenes in the next book?

"Is it true President Pritchart, that Saint-Just once ordered you to steal candy from a baby?"
_

Post by crewdude48   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:50 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

Phalanx wrote:Pritchart cannot be Prez forever,

Why not? Haven doesn't have term limits, and there is no proof that people with prolong will ever die of old age.
Post by Hutch   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:

Why not? Haven doesn't have term limits, and there is no proof that people with prolong will ever die of old age.

Indeed...with prolong we'd still be electing FDR here in the USA.... ;) (term limits for the Presidency were enacted after Roosevelt).

Seriously, there will be political parties forming as the one-time PRH starts getting comfortable with being the RH again.

Some will play towards the unrepentant-Dolists, some towards the new capitalists, some to the new working classes, some more planetary-nationalistic, some for Independence....

Oh, it'll be a jolly mishmash. And yes, eventually Eloise will lose (or retire) and someone esle may come along.

But not, I wager, until the MAlignment is dust.

We shall see, eventually.

IMHO as always. YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Re: Indecision 19XX PD
Post by drothgery   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:23 pm

drothgery
Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:

Having no textev one way or another, it's hard to say. I'd be shocked if Haven doesn't have term limits, at least to the minimal degree of a maximum number of consecutive presidential terms, because given real world voter behavior and prolong, no term limits is a recipe for nearly zero turnover in government.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:09 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:

Do you really hate my girl so much that you'd curse her with being President for the rest of her life?? ;)

In all seriousness, while I have no doubt whatsoever that she will go down alongside Péricard in a Washington-and-Lincoln-esque "Greatest Presidents" duology, she never wanted the job. She did it because Haven needed her as its Commander-in-Chief, and the minute they don't I doubt not a whit that she'll happily hand the reins over to someone else. She will serve for as long as Haven needs her - and not a moment longer.

Who that someone else is, I don't know. Leslie Montreau is my "dark horse" candidate to succeed her, but it would take a bona fide political triumph for the Constitutional Progressives to win yet another election (as I foresee Eloise will win re-election by a landslide in the wake of the Grand Alliance, should she face it).

But I myself, as ever, serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Honestly I don't know who would be next. I imagine it would be a Havenite character we have met. Probably not Tom though, I think he would avoid that one at any cost, including inflicting bodily harm upon himself.

I doubt she has any intention of NOT running for President until this matter with the Solarian League is settled.
Post by BrightSoul   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

Peter for President.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the President Elect of Haven, Peter Jourdain.
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I know it will never happen but just imagine the fun that would result from President Foraker :lol:
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:17 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:I know it will never happen but just imagine the fun that would result from President Foraker :lol:

...do you actively hate the Republic or something?? :lol: 8-)

I love Shannon. We all love Shannon. I love Jimmy Carter, too, but that doesn't make him a great President! (Sorry, Jimmy!!)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Senior Chief   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:45 am

Senior Chief
Commander

roseandheather wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:I know it will never happen but just imagine the fun that would result from President Foraker :lol:

...do you actively hate the Republic or something?? :lol: 8-)

I love Shannon. We all love Shannon. I love Jimmy Carter, too, but that doesn't make him a great President! (Sorry, Jimmy!!)

Hmmmm how about Victor Cashat... I think he would really shake up the political structure of Haven.

I like Jimmy Carter the humanatarian but despised him as president... He should have stayed in the Navy except his father died, he was slated to command a nuc submarine with Adm Rickover's blessing.

Return to Honorverse