Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Cyberbetics

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Cyberbetics
Post by Zakharra   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

How prelevant are cybernetics? I know regrowing limbs is easily within the capability of the Honorverse for most worlds (if somewhat hard), but cybernetics is obviously a well developed industry. Especially how well Honor's eye and arm are disguised to look like a regular eye and arm. I do remember though when Honor did get her eye and arm, a mention of other worlds/societies that did take to cybernetics a lot more than the norm, even taking on obvious cybernetics. So I am wondering how common are obvious cybernetics for limb replacement?
Re: Cyberbetics
Post by n7axw   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:56 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:How prelevant are cybernetics? I know regrowing limbs is easily within the capability of the Honorverse for most worlds (if somewhat hard), but cybernetics is obviously a well developed industry. Especially how well Honor's eye and arm are disguised to look like a regular eye and arm. I do remember though when Honor did get her eye and arm, a mention of other worlds/societies that did take to cybernetics a lot more than the norm, even taking on obvious cybernetics. So I am wondering how common are obvious cybernetics for limb replacement?

Probably common enough on Manticore for medical reasons, but IIRC, there are worlds out there which employ cybernetics for cosmetic reasons not much different than the current fad for tatoos in our own time. I bet that can produce some...novel... results.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SWM   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:23 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:How prelevant are cybernetics? I know regrowing limbs is easily within the capability of the Honorverse for most worlds (if somewhat hard), but cybernetics is obviously a well developed industry. Especially how well Honor's eye and arm are disguised to look like a regular eye and arm. I do remember though when Honor did get her eye and arm, a mention of other worlds/societies that did take to cybernetics a lot more than the norm, even taking on obvious cybernetics. So I am wondering how common are obvious cybernetics for limb replacement?

If I recall, there is text somewhere that cybernetics are quite common in some systems. Cybernetic modification is sometimes the basis for fashion there. But I don't recall where the text is; I may be misremembering completely.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by saber964   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:52 pm

saber964
Admiral

SWM wrote:

If I recall, there is text somewhere that cybernetics are quite common in some systems. Cybernetic modification is sometimes the basis for fashion there. But I don't recall where the text is; I may be misremembering completely.

It is mentioned in AoV and I believe the place was the Stotterman system. IIRC HH had seen someone from there and the sight made HH queasy.
Post by munroburton   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:09 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Some of the Mesans' lines are enhanced with surgical implants, mainly the bodyguard types. IIRC, they were implied to be discreet implants - makes sense, as the Detweilers don't need someone looking like the love child of an ape and a suit of battle armour following them around.

Implants are also going to be limited by the basic frame they're attached to - it's no good having an arm capable of lifting an assault shuttle if it's attached to a flesh and bone shoulder. Unless there's wholesale replacements of skeletons - planet of Wolverines, anyone?

Because of that inherent limit, most cybernetics can be made to fit in cosmetically. Exceptions would be zero-G civilisations, the sort of technician/engineer who literally has a future-wrench as a hand and the aforementioned fashion statements.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:How prelevant are cybernetics? I know regrowing limbs is easily within the capability of the Honorverse for most worlds (if somewhat hard), but cybernetics is obviously a well developed industry.

I think you mean Cyborgs. Cybernetic has a much wider application beyond prosthetics.

For the majority of the Honorverse, lingering memories of the Final War generates a bias against Cyborgs and Genies. There are only a few places where non-medical Cyborgs are acceptable or common.

Ashes of Victory
Chapter Seventeen
wrote:
Honor had learned to adjust for the fact that the artificial nerves in her face simply did not report sensory data the same way live ones did. At the moment, she felt nothing at all on her left cheek. Had her implants been working properly, however, she would have "felt" the pressure of the growing sea breeze quite differently on the two sides of her face . . . and even after so many years, the sensations from the left side would have felt artificial. Which was fair enough, since that was precisely what they would have been. She sometimes wondered if it would have been easier to adjust if they'd had to replace the nerves in both cheeks, but she had no intention of experimenting to find out.

That artificiality was the main reason so many star nations, including the Star Kingdom, had no extensive market in bio enhancement. Some nations did, of course. The rogue bio-modifiers of Mesa came to mind almost automatically, but her mother's native Beowulf had also supported a lucrative enhancement market. In one way, Honor could understand the temptation, for there had been features to the eye the Peeps had burned out that she missed sorely, like the low-light vision and telescopic and microscopic functions. But even there, what she saw had never seemed quite as alive—as "real"—as what the unenhanced vision of her right eye had reported. It was something that probably could never be fully described to anyone who hadn't experienced it directly. For that matter, she supposed it might well be purely psychological, although it was reported with near total unanimity by everyone who'd received similar implants. The closest she'd ever been able to come to defining the difference even for herself was to think of what she saw through her left eye as a very, very good, three-dimensional flat screen presentation. Again, she'd often wondered whether or not replacing both eyes, so that she no longer had the "distraction" of her natural eye's input, would have ameliorated the problem in time. And, again, she had no intention of ever finding out.

But there were people who'd made the opposite choice. Indeed, in some of humanity's far-flung cultures, like Sharpton, where the cyborg was a sort of cultural icon, it was as routine for an individual to replace limbs and eyes with artificial improvements as it was for someone on Manticore to have her teeth cleaned and straightened.
Or her ears pierced, for that matter. Personally, Honor couldn't imagine doing such a thing. In fact, the very thought made her uncomfortable—probably because she'd spent so much of her life in space. After so many years in an artificial exterior environment, she felt no temptation whatsoever to turn her own body into an artificial interior environment, whatever advantages over mere flesh and blood it might have brought with it.

Of course, Honor is both a Genie and a Cyborg.
Last edited by Weird Harold on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Zakharra   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
Zakharra wrote:How prelevant are cybernetics? I know regrowing limbs is easily within the capability of the Honorverse for most worlds (if somewhat hard), but cybernetics is obviously a well developed industry.

I think you mean Cyborgs. Cybernetic has a much wider application beyond prosthetics.

For the majority of the Honorverse, lingering memories of the Final War generates a bias against Cyborgs and Genies. There are only a few places where non-medical Cyborgs are acceptable or common.

Honor had learned to adjust for the fact that the artificial nerves in her face simply did not report sensory data the same way live ones did. At the moment, she felt nothing at all on her left cheek. Had her implants been working properly, however, she would have "felt" the pressure of the growing sea breeze quite differently on the two sides of her face . . . and even after so many years, the sensations from the left side would have felt artificial. Which was fair enough, since that was precisely what they would have been. She sometimes wondered if it would have been easier to adjust if they'd had to replace the nerves in both cheeks, but she had no intention of experimenting to find out.

That artificiality was the main reason so many star nations, including the Star Kingdom, had no extensive market in bio enhancement. Some nations did, of course. The rogue bio-modifiers of Mesa came to mind almost automatically, but her mother's native Beowulf had also supported a lucrative enhancement market. In one way, Honor could understand the temptation, for there had been features to the eye the Peeps had burned out that she missed sorely, like the low-light vision and telescopic and microscopic functions. But even there, what she saw had never seemed quite as alive—as "real"—as what the unenhanced vision of her right eye had reported. It was something that probably could never be fully described to anyone who hadn't experienced it directly. For that matter, she supposed it might well be purely psychological, although it was reported with near total unanimity by everyone who'd received similar implants. The closest she'd ever been able to come to defining the difference even for herself was to think of what she saw through her left eye as a very, very good, three-dimensional flat screen presentation. Again, she'd often wondered whether or not replacing both eyes, so that she no longer had the "distraction" of her natural eye's input, would have ameliorated the problem in time. And, again, she had no intention of ever finding out.

But there were people who'd made the opposite choice. Indeed, in some of humanity's far-flung cultures, like Sharpton, where the cyborg was a sort of cultural icon, it was as routine for an individual to replace limbs and eyes with artificial improvements as it was for someone on Manticore to have her teeth cleaned and straightened.
Or her ears pierced, for that matter. Personally, Honor couldn't imagine doing such a thing. In fact, the very thought made her uncomfortable—probably because she'd spent so much of her life in space. After so many years in an artificial exterior environment, she felt no temptation whatsoever to turn her own body into an artificial interior environment, whatever advantages over mere flesh and blood it might have brought with it.

Of course, Honor is both a Genie and a Cyborg.

I was thinking more along the lines of visible eye/ear/limp implants/replacements, like you see in some cyberpunk themes, as well as full body cyborgs. I can see a use for some mods/augmentations. Neural boosters and reflex enhancements (if they have them), as well as smart weapon links, the ability to link to battle armor and even weapons and ships, like in the Path of Fury universe. Being able to link to a weapon system could provide some very positive results.

If that is a possible mod, it could also be used for remote assassination now that I think about it. wireless comm link connection. The weapon(rifle/missile launcher) is set up and a wireless connection is established to the controller who could be several klicks away, or several hundred/thousand klicks away, depending upon the ping/latency. The target arrives, the controller fires the weapon from complete safety then gets his/her arse out of Dodge at a dignified pace. The weapon could even have a self destruct to destroy the remote controller.

On the other side, combat mods could be something some planetary or mercenary armies/units use for their better troops. Give them an edge over the average unaugmented soldier. There are many possible uses, but if the mental scarring by the Final War is that bad, I can see why many/most systems wouldn't use them. But also given the sheer number of human settled systems, I can definitely see some taking advantage of their uses like the Sharpton system seems to have done. It has been several hundred years since the Final War after all..
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:03 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

You know, using a phone you bought at the convenience store would seem a lot less traceable or susceptible to someone wondering about your embedded electronics....

There also is a thing called transmitter fingerprinting, based on the fact that every single transmitter is just a tiny bit different than the one of the same production lot. It's kind of a pain to resolve this when it requires surgery to prevent the cops from tracking you across the planet.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:38 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of visible eye/ear/limp implants/replacements, like you see in some cyberpunk themes, as well as full body cyborgs.

Oops. Forgot to label the citation; it's Ashes of Victory Chapter seventeen.

Like most citations, it doesn't cover the entire subject. There is more about cyborgs and prosthetics in chapter seventeen. In effect, there are just about any version of cyborg you want to imagine somewhere in human occupied space, but it is a fringe sub-culture like steampunk or goth is today -- with the added fillip that somewhere there is an entire planet or two full of steampunkers and/or goths.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SWM   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Zakharra wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of visible eye/ear/limp implants/replacements, like you see in some cyberpunk themes, as well as full body cyborgs.

Oops. Forgot to label the citation; it's Ashes of Victory Chapter seventeen.

Like most citations, it doesn't cover the entire subject. There is more about cyborgs and prosthetics in chapter seventeen. In effect, there are just about any version of cyborg you want to imagine somewhere in human occupied space, but it is a fringe sub-culture like steampunk or goth is today -- with the added fillip that somewhere there is an entire planet or two full of steampunkers and/or goths.

"Now showing in Theatre Eight: Planet of the Steampunk Goths. PG13." :lol:
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse