Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 187 guests

war with solarian league

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
war with solarian league
Post by svenhauke   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:43 pm

svenhauke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

what i don t get is why manticore doesen t do a fast attack through the beowolfe junction directly to sol, destroy the propably 2k + mothballed SD s to denie them to the sln as material to produce new pod sd s destroy the top solarian sd production platforms and just kill the solarian burocreacy ?

and go for a deep strike to destroy the other major solarian war ship production

thats what id do
Re: war with solarian league
Post by Hutch   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

svenhauke wrote:what i don t get is why manticore doesen t do a fast attack through the beowolfe junction directly to sol, destroy the propably 2k + mothballed SD s to denie them to the sln as material to produce new pod sd s destroy the top solarian sd production platforms and just kill the solarian burocreacy ?

and go for a deep strike to destroy the other major solarian war ship production

thats what id do

svenhauke, please see my suggestions in your other thread. They are offered in friendship and I hope to see more posts from you in the future.

Again, this is not a new idea (this board has been in operation since 2009, I rather think new ideas are rather rare). In general, folks here think it would be a bad idea to attack the Sol system, as this would give the Mandarins a rallying point to toughen the spine of the Core systems.

And you don't want to kill the Mandarins...after all, they are doing such a wonderful job of FUBAR'ing things... Kill them and it is possible somebody reasonably competent may take over.

But a raid to take out the bases and ships around Mars....I wonder if Mars is on the other side of Sol and many light-minutes away?
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:40 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:
svenhauke wrote:what i don t get is why manticore doesen t do a fast attack through the beowolfe junction directly to sol, destroy the propably 2k + mothballed SD s to denie them to the sln as material to produce new pod sd s destroy the top solarian sd production platforms and just kill the solarian burocreacy ?

thats what id do

svenhauke, please see my suggestions in your other thread. They are offered in friendship and I hope to see more posts from you in the future.

Again, this is not a new idea (this board has been in operation since 2009, I rather think new ideas are rather rare). In general, folks here think it would be a bad idea to attack the Sol system, as this would give the Mandarins a rallying point to toughen the spine of the Core systems.

And you don't want to kill the Mandarins...after all, they are doing such a wonderful job of FUBAR'ing things... Kill them and it is possible somebody reasonably competent may take over.

But a raid to take out the bases and ships around Mars....I wonder if Mars is on the other side of Sol and many light-minutes away?
\

Continuing where Hutch left off, what to do about the reserve has bee debated ad nausium on this and Baen's bar. Most feel that the reserve should be left until it is being readied and allow it to be a resource sink for the SL (or a SL successor state) and then destroyed just before it is readied. Others feel as you do and want to remove the threat now.

It has been pointed out several times that if the reserve is destroyed, the SLN will be forced to focus on new builds (and technology and doctrine) quicker than if the reserve was still available as a crutch. However, The Mandarines currently understand the uselessness of he reserve, so both arguments may be incorrect.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

svenhauke wrote:what i don t get is why manticore doesen t do a fast attack through the beowolfe junction directly to sol, ...

That would be counter-productive to Manticore/GA strategy.

The aim of Manticore/GA is to break the Solarian league into smaller successor states, principally by exploiting and widening existing "fracture lines" in the League structure. Attacking the Capitol Planet and "ancestral home of all mankind" will heal fracture lines, not widen them.

I can't think of one single thing that would be a worse strategy than attacking Sol directly.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Zakharra   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

thats what id do

Attacking the Sol sytem w9uld be a huge rallying point to the SL and stopa lot of it's fracturing dead cold. There could be military necessity seen in attacking the SLN Fleet base orbiting Mars, and the shipyards, but even that is risky as a PR stunt.

Removing the SL Bureaucracy? That would be extremely messy and require attacking the planet itself, with tactical nuclear strikes or kinetic weapon bombardment (ie committing an Eridiani Edict violation). It would take that level of attack to clean out the bureaucrats too. Manticore using ground troops wouldn;t be cost effective. most of Manticore's advances have been in starships and massive missile tech and such. Navy toys. The Manticore ground element, Army and Marines, are probably not much more advanced, if that, than the Solarian Army and Marine elements would be.

All in all, it would be a desperation move that would massively backfire at this time.

That would rally most of the SL to the League's defense and also put Manticore on Public Enemy's list at the #1 spot for damned near everyone. There would be no way Manticore could survive that since they would have everyone gunning for them, even other members of the GA.

Return to Honorverse