Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 153 guests

What will the scientists know? CoG spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What will the scientists know? CoG spoilers
Post by SYED   » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:51 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

there is a theory, some of those alignment ships will stop at Parmley station.
Say they do and they get the sciece guys, what can they offer that would be useful?
nano tech, streak, spider drive, info on felix, the twins or even darius. were their specializations ever mentioned?

it is not like tthey are carrying detailed computers just the knoledge in their heads.
they would be eager to aid the alliance, especially the learn of the extent of the deaths on their home planet.
Re: What will the scientists know? CoG spoilers
Post by kzt   » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:01 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Why do you think they would casually turn on the MA? It's what they know. Remember the agent who committed suicide on torch?

Did the communist movement in Europe fall apart when they learned of the mass murders by Stalin, Mao and the rest. No they made excuses. People are good at that.
Post by Hank Plantagenet   » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:12 am

Hank Plantagenet
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

kzt wrote:Why do you think they would casually turn on the MA? It's what they know. Remember the agent who committed suicide on torch?

Did the communist movement in Europe fall apart when they learned of the mass murders by Stalin, Mao and the rest. No they made excuses. People are good at that.

Perhaps the 2 that killed their GAUL handler might be amenable to swiching sides.
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:15 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

I think Hank has a good point here - any ships with Houdini passengers showing up at Parmley Station (or Balascue for that matter) will have the GAUL handlers kill the passengers and then scuttle the ship. The exception, of course, is the one with Zack McBryde and Gail Weiss, who killed the GAUL (*) handler.

So, unless RFC wants to use this to pull something out of the Deus ex Machina pile, these are the only people we need to consider as potential informants.

I can't see them not taking advantage of the opportunity to defect, so let's look at them.

Zack is a project manager and is presented as a synthesizer. The Streak Drive has been presented as a synthesis project - that is, it is the result of smooshing together recent advances in a number of fields that didn't seem to have anything to do with hyper generators. Heck, I think it's within the bounds of possibility that he (or rather the team he headed) invented the Streak Drive. Not all that likely, but an interesting possibility.

Gail Weiss is a military analyst. To paraphrase what she said once: "I could bore you to tears with a half-hour discussion of any ship class in the Galaxy."

She probably knows more about the various SDFs and the non-league polities on the other side of Sol than either Manticore's or Haven's military intelligence, and certainly more than the SLN's intelligence numbskulls.

The one thing I don't expect is for either of them to change their idealistic stance on the desirability of genetic uplift, especially since they're exhibits two and three of Mesan Alphas.

They're also a lot closer to the top, or at least Zack is, since he worked for Anastasia Chernevsky, who worked for Daniel Detweiller, who in turn works for Albrecht (**)

(*) I keep expecting an Asterisk here.

(**) The notion that Albrecht may be working, unbeknownst to himself, for Lintel is amusing but very unlikely.
Post by SCC   » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:51 pm

SCC
Commander

JohnRoth wrote:Zack is a project manager and is presented as a synthesizer. The Streak Drive has been presented as a synthesis project - that is, it is the result of smooshing together recent advances in a number of fields that didn't seem to have anything to do with hyper generators. Heck, I think it's within the bounds of possibility that he (or rather the team he headed) invented the Streak Drive. Not all that likely, but an interesting possibility.

No, not possible. Simeos was one of the people on the Streak Drive team, if Zack had headed up that team Zack would have worked in the Gamma Center, I don't think I need to explain more.

More likely he headed up the Spider Drive team
Post by SYED   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:37 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

not necessarily killed by the gaul straight away, those marines can be pretty sneaky, depending where on the ship they before they realise it is a trap, it is possible that some might survive. is the gaul, if he ees the enemy, going to shoot them or star eliminating the nerds?

Return to Honorverse