Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests

Statue for Neue Rostock

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Statue for Neue Rostock
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Howdy everybody!

How many think the successful stand at Neue Rostock should be commemorated by a statue? :D

Or it was successful at least as far as we know, since a lot could happen before Mike gets into orbit, like an accidental-on-purpose KEW etc, though I don't think RFC is quite that mean. ;)

For myself I see it composed of several persons, with Trieu Chuanli in front standing belligerently, the antitank mine strapped over a once fashionable shirt, the trigger in one hand and a com in the other, his expression resolute, yet with the same dangerous smile Honor had before dueling Burdette.

Behind and slightly higher (or on a more heroic scale) Jurgen Dusek stands a bit more relaxed, with a hand grenade in one hand, near his holstered pistol, a sensor console nearby, possibly a plasma rifle or rocket launcher leaning against the rail or sensor console, smiling confidently.

All around him, perhaps a foot or so lower are several others: on his left, Thandi with the military pulser rifle in her right hand, holstered pistol below, sheathed vibro blade at her left, with a com head piece around an ear, with sensor spectacles pushed up on her forehead (or next to the sensor console), with that same dangerous resolute smiling expression.

Incredibly handsome, but bruised blond Victor [not 'black' ;)] has one foot on a stair to Jurgen on the other side of Thandi with a grenade launcher in his left hand, the bandaged arm's right hand on the trigger necklace with a very calculating spider-smile type expression; although a more relaxed pose- leaning back on a console or guard rail with perhaps only a pistol in his lap while holding the trigger necklace and a crooked smile might also work.

One armed, grimly determined, beautiful NTM statuesque Yana [I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the 'statuesque' ;) ] still has a flechette pistol holstered under her lost arm, a military pulser pistol in the other on the left side slightly in front of Thandi.

Jenney is in the prone position with her military pulser rifle outboard on the right of Chuanli and Victor, Diasall with his tri-barrel resting on a ceramacrete block is behind them, one eyed Andrew with his repair kit looking up to fix something or possibly with conduit in both hands, Nolan Olsen doing something similar; while 'Doc' Nimbakar with her medical kit and scanner (possibly working on wounded (a POW?) behind and below Dusek, with a couple of other grim defenders on either side, one of them with a missile launcher, unless Jurgen has one in hand, while the other has satchel charges and detonators.

The only sculptor in the series is the unnamed Grayson master for Honor's, and I can see Grayson commissioning him to make such a commemoration, with him and or his students seeking all the imagery, interviewing to get their thoughts of what when, etc.

Such a statue could easily take 2-3 years or more, so it might not be unveiled until after the war with the SL is well over.

Besides commemorative plaques on the various hallway walls etc, there might be several such statues, outside, in the main foyer and perhaps a huge one on half the roof so everyone can see and know where Neue Rostock is.

In the main ground floor foyer, the statue might have a nearby educational lounge for children and tourists to view via their sensor goggles the history of all those referenced [Admiral Alexander-Harrington, Anton, etc] involved in making the statue and the events it praises.

Should Neue Rostock be fully restored, or just have the debris removed to wear its scars permanently and quite proudly, or should it be raised even higher to full citizen tower height?

Your thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated. :D

PS: Is a new map with all the wormhole bridges in the works?
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Re: Statue for Neue Rostock
Post by hanuman   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:33 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Nah, all of them are still alive, except for Chuanli. That'd be just a bit banana republic, and with Dusek's awakened sense of patriotism/belonging/whatever - that ALL seccies and slaves are his people - I wouldn't think that he'd be willing to go that route when he becomes leader of Free Mesa.

I would agree to a montage-like statue, yes. Chuanli should definitely be in it. Maybe the female crimelord (crimelady?) who controlled Hancock. On top of a cenotaph with the names of all the seccies - civilian and fighters alike - who died during the uprising engraved on it.
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:33 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

hanuman wrote:Nah, all of them are still alive, except for Chuanli. That'd be just a bit banana republic, and with Dusek's awakened sense of patriotism/belonging/whatever - that ALL seccies and slaves are his people - I wouldn't think that he'd be willing to go that route when he becomes leader of Free Mesa.

I would agree to a montage-like statue, yes. Chuanli should definitely be in it. Maybe the female crimelord (crimelady?) who controlled Hancock. On top of a cenotaph with the names of all the seccies - civilian and fighters alike - who died during the uprising engraved on it.

Of course, since the only people who saw Chuanli fire the missle were Jenny the Hand (deceased soon after) and varios Peaceforce personnel (also pretty much all deceased, then or shortly afterward), it would be a bit hard to make a status of them in their final action...IMHO.

And I think rather than a statue, a more suble memorial would be needed...something on the order of Vietnam Memorial in Washington...again, IMHO.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:39 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:Of course, since the only people who saw Chuanli fire the missle were Jenny the Hand (deceased soon after) and varios Peaceforce personnel (also pretty much all deceased, then or shortly afterward), it would be a bit hard to make a status of them in their final action...IMHO.

And I think rather than a statue, a more suble memorial would be needed...something on the order of Vietnam Memorial in Washington...again, IMHO.

Yeah, but Thandi and the others who survived will know more or less how Chuanli's 'last stand' would have looked, and any artist worthy of the name would be able to recreate the scene from their descriptions.

I kind of agree with your second paragraph, which is why I suggested a cenotaph with a small statue on top or in front of it. Mind you, not like the monstrosity Grayson erected to honour Honor :grin: Something slightly more tasteful.
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:49 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Sure.

But the night before the unveiling, the face of the Victor figure will probably get defaced, most likely by several very well placed pulser shots.

...Practised beforehand in sim, of course. <grin>

dreamrider
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:49 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

dreamrider wrote:Sure.

But the night before the unveiling, the face of the Victor figure will probably get defaced, most likely by several very well placed pulser shots.

dreamrider

I'd like to see anyone insisting on including Thandi in such a montage after she gives them 'The Look'.
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:18 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hanuman,

Since Thandi had her remote sensors telling her what the problem was, who and how far they were from Chuanli, I suspect they do have imagery of him and Jenney.

I wasn't implying this would be the only memorial, just the one for Neue Rostock.

A cenotaph for Hancock with all the names works me just fine, a shallow reflecting pool over the crater once its filled in the center certainly helps the ambiance.

At roughly 6 X 18-24" per name, a wall up to 7 meters high 800 meters in diameter would be needed, or perhaps indicating the first floor or two.

This reminds me; the seccy towers are only 800m high yet had some 300 stories, for only 2.666m each of which 35 cm was ceramacrete, leaving less than 91" for piping, wiring, etc and living height, which is kinda low when the average floor is around 14' [4.267m] as I recall.

L

hanuman wrote:
Hutch wrote:Of course, since the only people who saw Chuanli fire the missle were Jenny the Hand (deceased soon after) and varios Peaceforce personnel (also pretty much all deceased, then or shortly afterward), it would be a bit hard to make a status of them in their final action...IMHO.

Yeah, but Thandi and the others who survived will know more or less how Chuanli's 'last stand' would have looked, and any artist worthy of the name would be able to recreate the scene from their descriptions.

I kind of agree with your second paragraph, which is why I suggested a cenotaph with a small statue on top or in front of it. Mind you, not like the monstrosity Grayson erected to honour Honor :grin: Something slightly more tasteful.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:51 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Sure.

dreamrider

Why? It's not really his face, after all.
----------------
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here - this is the War Room!

Return to Honorverse