Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests

You can call her Ayako

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: You can call her Ayako
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:35 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

SCC wrote:Personally the bit about her name suggest to me that there's more going on with her then we see

kzt wrote:I kind of doubt that she got to choose her name. Unless I'm remembering the scene wrong she didn't exactly seem to be making up a name, just using the one she was given.

SCC wrote: Considering that that very scene highlights how unusual it is for a slave to have two names

Which, SCC, would tend to mitigate against her being some 'hidden agent', IMHO

Note the agent they did catch in Torch of Freedom immediately got a average job at a regular company and did absolutely nothing to attract attention. Except for Genghis and the longest of long-shots, they would have had no clue whatsoever and Ronald Allen would probably still be working somewhere on Torch, living a normal life.

Agents, unlike the fictional ones, do their best to blend in, disappear, be the one the neighbors all say "it couldn't be him/her, they were just like us."

Ayako, well, let's see, she's a slave who (1) has volunteered to lead troops through a slave ship (2) killed her rapist in full view of a squad of Marines (3) Married one of them on the spur of the moment, (4) Makes her way to the Command deck and ends up considering a new career.

That's not exactly blending in...that's shouting your presence to all and sundry (Marines, after all, do talk).

Now all that said, it possibly is a setup, but frankly, it is such a contrived and long-shot one I just don't see it. MAlignment plans tend to be long-running and well-planned, and I just can't see an approach like this taken by the MAlignment.

But I could be wrong. Time will tell.
Last edited by Hutch on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:51 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

1. Did a very unslave like thing. And lived away from the other slaves and has two names....etc.
2. Killed someone before he could contradict her story, who says he raped her?
3. You marry a grunt, to keep a low profile. Grunt with connections but who clearly couldn't read her mind. Never saw it coming.
4. Keeping a low profile of a grunt isn't enough for a spy, need to be where the action is. Away from the higher ups, but where the information is.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

While the Alignment does have agents who look like slaves, they don't generally plant them in a slave ship going nowhere special which they have no idea will be captured. Why would they do that? No, I don't get any special vibe from her. She does seem to have an unusual background, but other than that, she's not giving any vibe that I can feel.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I see no evidence to support the idea.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Wouldn't make a very good spy if she gave off a vibe.
Post by saber964   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:11 pm

saber964
Admiral

On Japanese female names. The letters Ko or Ka at the end of a female name is something of an honorific much like Ms. or Miss. As properly written in English the name should read Aya-ko, I know several Japanese woman with names like Omi and Tomo but spelled their names as Omi-ko and Tomo-ko.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:While the Alignment does have agents who look like slaves, they don't generally plant them in a slave ship going nowhere special which they have no idea will be captured. ...

Ayoko's behavior is consistent with a deep-cover agent improvising when her assignment is short-stopped by events. Doesn't mean she is a deep cover agent, but she's definitely making things up as she goes along.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:45 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

IIRC, slaves commomly took names for themselves. Manpower identified them by number, perhaps the number embedded in the bar code on their tongues. For a slave to take two names is regarded as an act of rebellion.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:00 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Wouldn't make a very good spy if she gave off a vibe.

Of course not. But the question posed in the original post was "Did anyone else get a "Hidden Masan Agent" vibe from her?" I was answering the question.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Evilnerf   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Evilnerf
Ensign

Well just because the reader is getting that vibe doesn't mean the characters are.

Although, I guess I'm the only one based on this thread.

Ah well.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:14 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I'm gullible, people fool me all the time. There was a Spanish guy at college had me convinced he was a fighter pilot in his air force, I didn't know he wasn't. He got all worried when the BCCI bank folded though. Lost all his money and had to leave college, then because he wasn't in college he had to go into the army and was posted to Algeria. The day he left I just said it was good that he was in the air force, the Spanish army guys always get powed off in Algeria. He just kind of went a funny white colour.

Return to Honorverse