Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: W3C [Validator] and 159 guests

You can call her Ayako

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
You can call her Ayako
Post by Evilnerf   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Evilnerf
Ensign

Regarding Cauldron of Ghosts. Spoiler alert, maybe? Mostly wild speculation.

Did anyone else get a "Hidden Masan Agent" vibe from her? After all, we know for sure they use agents who are identical to slaves.

She was a viewpoint character, yes, but a lot of the things she said even in her own headspace could be explained away if she was undercover.

May just be me.
Re: You can call her Ayako
Post by kzt   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Who?
Post by Direwolf18   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Wasn't she the one with the little knife who went all stabby stabby on her rapist? Which by the way, good for her.

If that is her, then no I didn't get that vibe. To much random coincidence involved with her, plus she really is/was a no body. And is no married to a Sergent in the Torch military. Not exactly high command.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:06 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi DireWolf18,

Totally agree.

She might have decided to to take up navigation to pass the time and discover she's good at it, and keeps going with it in order to be on the same ship with him.

He comes back, the promoted fearless hero, and has to say sir or ma'am to his wife, which could be very funny. :D

L

Direwolf18 wrote:Wasn't she the one with the little knife who went all stabby stabby on her rapist? Which by the way, good for her.

If that is her, then no I didn't get that vibe. To much random coincidence involved with her, plus she really is/was a no body. And is no married to a Sergent in the Torch military. Not exactly high command.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Evilnerf   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Evilnerf
Ensign

I'm referring to Takahasi Ayako, from cauldron of ghosts.

As far as her killing her rapist, yeah, but if you wanted to endure yourself to ex-ballroom types, that'd be my first move too, and the Mesans have hardly been shy about killing manpower folks in the past.

I suppose I'm mainly thinking about the scene where she walked into the control room and started asking questions about where they were going....

Admittedly, it didn't seem to come to anything in the book, but it still could, perhaps.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:05 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

So what you are suggesting is that I a kovert operative! Hidden in the pronouncation of I,a,co? This just might be too subtle or perhaps shows an unconscious desire by the author to have this incorporated into the story?

Sneaky!
Post by SCC   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:53 am

SCC
Commander

Personally the bit about her name suggest to me that there's more going on with her then we see
Post by kzt   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:02 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SCC wrote:Personally the bit about her name suggest to me that there's more going on with her then we see

I kind of doubt that she got to choose her name. Unless I'm remembering the scene wrong she didn't exactly seem to be making up a name, just using the one she was given.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:38 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Evilnerf wrote:Regarding Cauldron of Ghosts. Spoiler alert, maybe? Mostly wild speculation....

Perhaps some possible inspirations for the name might shed some light?

From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayako

Fictional characters

Ayako (亞夜子), a major antagonist in the fourth game of the survival horror series Fatal Frame
Ayako (彩子), a character in the anime and manga series Slam Dunk
Ayako Yuuki (綾子), a character from the Variable Geo fighting game series
Ayako Katagiri (彩子), a character in the video game Tokimeki Memorial

See also

Ayako (奇子), a manga trilogy by Osamu Tezuka
Ayako (亜也虎), a fictitious combat plane appears in the Shoot 'em up 194x series

Note the preponderance of gaming references, which would mesh with DWs background as game designer?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SCC   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:12 am

SCC
Commander

kzt wrote:
SCC wrote:Personally the bit about her name suggest to me that there's more going on with her then we see

I kind of doubt that she got to choose her name. Unless I'm remembering the scene wrong she didn't exactly seem to be making up a name, just using the one she was given.

Considering that that very scene highlights how unusual it is for a slave to have two names

Return to Honorverse