Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 156 guests

old SD uses.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
old SD uses.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:39 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

With a 20-22 minute hyper limit, how about taking these ships, be they old SD's of Alliance or Sollie origin. Add Mycroft control systems and with ERM DDM tube launched missiles. LAC and Pods would be serviced by separate freighters. Sidewalled fast freighters a dozen per system.

Placing these ships at 140 million km separations one could with a few ships surround the systems hyper limit with many small, already built, small forts.

200 SD or less ships per system, system pods, and dozens of LAC per SD. Provide a fortified fast system response. Being close to the hyper limit allows the SD to hyper to meet large raiders quickly and dispersed to guard against pirates and enforce custom duties.

Sollie Core Worlds could do a similar system with their 8-9,000 SD's. 400-450 systems.
Last edited by Lord Skimper on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Daryl   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:44 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Space is huge, really huge, and hyper limits are spherical.

Lord Skimper wrote:With a 20-22 minute hyper limit, how about taking these ships, be they old SD's of Alliance or Sollie origin. Add Mycroft control systems and with ERM DDM tube launched missiles. LAC and Pods would be serviced by separate freighters. Sidewalled fast freighters a dozen per system.

Placing these ships at 30-60 million km separations one could with a few ships surround the systems hyper limit with many small, already built, small forts.

200 SD or less ships per system, system pods, and dozens of LAC per SD. Provide a fortified fast system response. Being close to the hyper limit allows the SD to hyper to meet large raiders quickly and dispersed to guard against pirates and enforce custom duties.

Sollie Core Worlds could do a similar system with their 8-9,000 SD's. 400-450 systems.
Re: old SD uses.
Post by The E   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:50 am

The E
Admiral

Skimper, why don't you try to do the fucking math on these proposals of yours once?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:09 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

You quoted me before I could check my numbers and edit the 140 million km separations. A 22 light minute hyper limit with a circumference of about 2.5 billion km. 200-215 SD, would allow for a spherical surround of a system while maintaining albeit at maximum system pod range. However being able to fire up a wedge / hyperdrive in half an hour one is able to close to any place in a system faster than any LAC is able to, and with more powerful weapon systems.

SD might be vulnerable to SD(P) missile salvo sizes. But outside the limit 200 SD can jump on any ships at energy range & overwhelm even SD(P). Let alone anything else.

Between the 140 million km gaps, LAC and System pods will patrol and secure the areas.
Post by The E   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:35 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Between the 140 million km gaps, LAC and System pods will patrol and secure the areas.

And be completely useless while doing it. Most of these ships will be completely outside of any range at which they could feasibly engage an attacker. At best, you will get three or four of them on the attacker's bearing, and once they blew their load, they can't catch the attacker, or engage them with sufficient throw-weight to be more than a nuisance.

This idea of yours is markedly inferior to a regular Mycroft installation.
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:34 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:You quoted me before I could check my numbers and edit the 140 million km separations. A 22 light minute hyper limit with a circumference of about 2.5 billion km. 200-215 SD, would allow for a spherical surround of a system while maintaining albeit at maximum system pod range. However being able to fire up a wedge / hyperdrive in half an hour one is able to close to any place in a system faster than any LAC is able to, and with more powerful weapon systems.

SD might be vulnerable to SD(P) missile salvo sizes. But outside the limit 200 SD can jump on any ships at energy range & overwhelm even SD(P). Let alone anything else.

Between the 140 million km gaps, LAC and System pods will patrol and secure the areas.

Do you have any idea how many crew 215 old style SDs would take, and I don't think micro jumping into beam engagement range would work nearly as well as you seem to think. I believe it would take several minutes for them to be able to drop back out of hyper by which time their targets will probably be well inside the hyper limit forcing the older SDs to chase them and get pounded by their missiles.

I doubt know why you are so obsessed with finding some new use for the old SDs but they really have three main uses. The more advanced ones can serve as defense ships in low priority areas until there are enough SD(P)s to replace them. The other good uses for them are scrap metal and weapons testing targets.
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:20 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Refurbishing all of these ships with Mycroft controls and DDM launchers will require yard time (which they don't have). Running all these ships will require huge numbers of men. Why not just install a real Mycroft system with system defense missiles? It will be cheaper, faster, and use far fewer men.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

I think I came up with the perfect use.

Tow them out somewhere empty, equip several yachts with gigantic pressor beams that take a few minutes to recharge, and use them for a game of 3D space pool.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:31 am

munroburton
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:I think I came up with the perfect use.

Tow them out somewhere empty, equip several yachts with gigantic pressor beams that take a few minutes to recharge, and use them for a game of 3D space pool.

I've got a better one - use them as storage archives for Skimper's innovations. :roll:
Post by Hutch   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

munroburton wrote:I've got a better one - use them as storage archives for Skimper's innovations. :roll:

*Chief Brody: "We're going to need a Bigger Boat..."*
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse