Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 90 guests

Luxuries

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Luxuries
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:
I inherited 300 bottles of single malt whiskey. I typically don't drink, being a Rootbeer man. A&W or Boylans being my favourites. I do occasionally have a, Ballantines. A bottle typically lasts me a decade. Not sure what I will do with my 3000 year supply.

One presumes the Honorverse will have custom air cars that go 10% faster, or 15% smoother.

Fine silk suits, velvet robes, the Hexapuma coat.

Foods might have the Grayson heavy metal soup, not as cool as it sounds, but it never ever goes cold. Small doses taste unique but luckily are cureable with only three regeneration episodes. The high is very head banging :oops:

One wonders if there are still roads on the more advanced worlds?

I have plenty of root beer on hand. A&W is good stuff, but I prefer Hires or Dad's Root Beer. Shasta root beer is okay too. Hires is the French wine of root beer!

Good question about the roads. I always wondered about that too. It seems some people would prefer an old-fashioned drive, top down, wind in hair. Perhaps the less affluent drive ground cars. It surprises me that aircar disasters are rare. No FUI (flying under the influence) problems?

I wonder if Honor can drive a ground car, manual shift. :lol:

The '67 Pontiac GTO has survived in the Honorverse. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by hanuman   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:28 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:
There isn't much textev on the Final War, but from the sound of it, Earth was quite badly damaged. Nukes, weaponised nanotechnology and bioweapons were unleashed, all of which would be destructive to the environment. Supporting your 'more to do with the "Terran"' remark, I have to question whether Earth would be producing much of high quality, compared to other worlds that haven't had the shit blown out of them.

The Final War happened almost a thousand years ago (before?). That's more than enough time to clean up any lingering fall-out, especially given Old Earth's special status as the human homeworld. The League's central government would have diverted a lot of resources into 'healing' the planet.
Post by aairfccha   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Daryl wrote:still a difference in quality.
Or in reputation, the market for luxuries is not entirely rational :? .
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Lord Skimper wrote:I inherited 300 bottles of single malt whiskey. I typically don't drink, being a Rootbeer man. A&W or Boylans being my favourites. I do occasionally have a, Ballantines. A bottle typically lasts me a decade. Not sure what I will do with my 3000 year supply.
SNIP

I would tend to think they do still have roads, after reading a bit of the early release of manticore acendant. I beleive it mentiones them.

As to the whiskey, Are you looking to get rid of some? I'd be willing to pay the shipping if you are.
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:
munroburton wrote:
There isn't much textev on the Final War, but from the sound of it, Earth was quite badly damaged. Nukes, weaponised nanotechnology and bioweapons were unleashed, all of which would be destructive to the environment. Supporting your 'more to do with the "Terran"' remark, I have to question whether Earth would be producing much of high quality, compared to other worlds that haven't had the shit blown out of them.

The Final War happened almost a thousand years ago (before?). That's more than enough time to clean up any lingering fall-out, especially given Old Earth's special status as the human homeworld. The League's central government would have diverted a lot of resources into 'healing' the planet.

That's true, but the war itself may have wiped out the very particular variety of grape grown in the small region of Champagne, France. Europe was very badly hit during the Final War. If the species mutated, or that area of France was badly damaged in the war, it is likely that the champagne of old is lost forever.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:
munroburton wrote:

SWM wrote:
That's true, but the war itself may have wiped out the very particular variety of grape grown in the small region of Champagne, France. Europe was very badly hit during the Final War. If the species mutated, or that area of France was badly damaged in the war, it is likely that the champagne of old is lost forever.

I would think, that in the Honorverse, where there are constant wars and threats of wars, there is a serious version of this...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard ... Seed_Vault

I would think so. Especially in the Honorverse.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I think colonists will attempt to take a wide variety of plants and animals (and other things) with them and see what works. It would help if they had a really good survey and a couple of years to plan before they chose what they were taking and really specific information on cultivation of what they took
Sure, coffee and cocoa trees aren't going to do well on Sphinx if you get a hard frost and worse all over the planet at least once every three years. Same for most citrus.
The real challange is all those little gaps like the Graysons discovered when they got to thier new home. Temperature and water vapor and gravity and air-gas mix might have been just fine….and then you discover that the place is almost saturated with heavy metals and other things in the water, soil, native vegetation. I don't recall any mention of indigenous animal or fish life on Grayson.

You might not ever be able to export your Terran cocoa or coffee products as a luxury but they would probably go a good way to providing local food products and business.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

aairfccha wrote:
Daryl wrote:still a difference in quality.
Or in reputation, the market for luxuries is not entirely rational :? .

It is quite rational if you consider the motivation behind much of it. Status symbols! A friend of mine in college, his father loved a cheap fourteen dollar wine. He loved it! But he was too embarrassed to let his circle of friends know that he had such a cheap taste in wines. So he kept it in expensive decanters surrounded by expensive bottles that he never opened, except for his guests??? He was rich enough to buy the expensive wines; he even served it to his guests, but his personal taste was more down to Earth. Or our neighbor, when I was a kid, she bought expensive furs but hated them. She had to have them for social reasons. The ego has nothing to do with rationality.

Irrationally rational? Or rationally irrational?

Post by hanuman   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:20 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:That's true, but the war itself may have wiped out the very particular variety of grape grown in the small region of Champagne, France. Europe was very badly hit during the Final War. If the species mutated, or that area of France was badly damaged in the war, it is likely that the champagne of old is lost forever.

Good riddance, if you ask me. I can't stand the stuff. I do love me a glass of good red, but that sparkly crap? Nuh-uh.
Post by saber964   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:49 pm

saber964
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:I inherited 300 bottles of single malt whiskey. I typically don't drink, being a Rootbeer man. A&W or Boylans being my favourites. I do occasionally have a, Ballantines. A bottle typically lasts me a decade. Not sure what I will do with my 3000 year supply.

One presumes the Honorverse will have custom air cars that go 10% faster, or 15% smoother.

Fine silk suits, velvet robes, the Hexapuma coat.

Foods might have the Grayson heavy metal soup, not as cool as it sounds, but it never ever goes cold. Small doses taste unique but luckily are cureable with only three regeneration episodes. The high is very head banging :oops:

A root beer man that is hard to find, as I am also a root beer man though I prefer pre-Coke Barq's root beer from the Gulf Coast or Dads or restaurant A&W root beer. For store bought root beer its Barq's and Mug root beer.

Return to Honorverse