Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 161 guests

Luxuries

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Luxuries
Post by saber964   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:53 pm

saber964
Admiral

IIRC in StftSh a bottle of Daniels-Beam premium Terrain whisky was valued at 200 M$ a bottle.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:10 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Saber964,

Nope, it was SoS, when Copenhagen visits Monica, and Austen offers it to the Jessyk Combine factor.

L

saber964 wrote:IIRC in StftSh a bottle of Daniels-Beam premium Terrain whisky was valued at 200 M$ a bottle.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by saber964   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:32 pm

saber964
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Saber964,

Nope, it was SoS, when Copenhagen visits Monica, and Austen offers it to the Jessyk Combine factor.

L

saber964 wrote:IIRC in StftSh a bottle of Daniels-Beam premium Terrain whisky was valued at 200 M$ a bottle.

I know, I was at work and miss-remembered it.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:07 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

[/quote]
There isn't much textev on the Final War, but from the sound of it, Earth was quite badly damaged. Nukes, weaponised nanotechnology and bioweapons were unleashed, all of which would be destructive to the environment. Supporting your 'more to do with the "Terran"' remark, I have to question whether Earth would be producing much of high quality, compared to other worlds that haven't had the shit blown out of them.

The Final War happened almost a thousand years ago (before?). That's more than enough time to clean up any lingering fall-out, especially given Old Earth's special status as the human homeworld. The League's central government would have diverted a lot of resources into 'healing' the planet.

That's true, but the war itself may have wiped out the very particular variety of grape grown in the small region of Champagne, France. Europe was very badly hit during the Final War. If the species mutated, or that area of France was badly damaged in the war, it is likely that the champagne of old is lost forever.
[/quote]

If I remember correctly the Manticoran colonists missed the "Final War" during their cryo-journey, and had taken seeds, cuttings & etc with them. I am sure they would have included vines as well as :mrgreen:"Celery" :mrgreen:
That gives the possibility of re-seeding Sol from off-world sources when the planet had been cleaned up.

T&R
GJS
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:57 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:If I remember correctly the Manticoran colonists missed the "Final War" during their cryo-journey, and had taken seeds, cuttings & etc with them. I am sure they would have included vines as well as :mrgreen:"Celery" :mrgreen:
That gives the possibility of re-seeding Sol from off-world sources when the planet had been cleaned up.

T&R
GJS

It is unlikely that Manticore (or the other colony ships en route at that time) had seeds or cuttings of every single specific variety of grape grown around the world (there are thousands). Every wine-growing region has it's own varieties of grape (as well as particular soil qualities and weather patterns) which become a part of the taste of the particular wines produced there. What I was saying is that it is quite possible that the Final War caused the loss of one or more specific grape varieties or wine-growing regions, which means the loss of that particular kind of wine, forever.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:25 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

What you said, is true enough. But does it really matter. I can guarantee that the champagne produced in Champagne a thousand years from now will not be similar to the champagne produced today, just as today's is not comparable to that produced a millennium ago.

Whether the same cultivar will still be produced, is also questionable. For that matter, you mentioned that there are thousands of cultivars being cultivated today. A thousand years ago there were maybe a dozen or so. The question is not whether a particular cultivar will be lost, but which ones will be lost, because let's face it, a thousand years is a long time in terms of human history and a lot can and will happen.

Whether that includes a devastating disaster such as the Final War or not, I think we can take it as a given that many of our most treasured commodities and arts will lose their high social status, and that we will come to treasure new ones.
Post by BobfromSydney   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:05 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

Even if the grape cultivar is retained, the soil and growing region (including climate) may have become irrevocably changed. Therefore as Hanuman said the drink we now know as Champagne may be lost forever.

For the same reason Terran plants grown on xeno soils would almost certainly taste and behave differently when used to produce food or drinks. Just the genetic engineering necessary to get them to survive and yield vitamins etc. would have altered their taste.

As to the actual quality of the 'luxury' items coming from Terra I would think they would be either average or possibly slightly inferior to other core worlds, as a result of all the damage done by the final war to both the environment and also to the loss of knowledge, especially human knowledge involved in producing fine foods and drinks. It may take many years or even decades to train a master brewer/distiller/viticulturist or winemaker. It would only take minutes to kill one with a rampant bioweapon/nanoweapon. All his or her knowledge may be lost as most likely the students/apprentices/assistants would be killed by the same bioweapons. Books and stored knowledge about those arts would also not be a top priority for preservation either, so much knowledge and skill would be lost.

The value of a luxury item mostly depends on prestige, which is why a genuine Rolex or LV handbag may be worth hundreds of times more than a 'functionally identical' knockoff.

Return to Honorverse