Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dauntless and 41 guests

Honorverse favorite passages

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite passages
Post by Invictus   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:16 am

Invictus
Commander

Ok, I kinda have to admit that I'm picking tearjerkers deliberately. I'll pick more upbeat ones from now on! Hmm... Maybe something from a Ship Called Francis? :lol:

"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall
Post by Invictus   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:31 am

Invictus
Commander

Axial One was a large "tube" running down the spine of the ship. Normally, it was set to low gravity and used for movement of personnel and equipment. Under the low G personnel could move materials quickly and efficiently. Or, alternatively, crewmen who thought they were "salty" could move like a bat out of hell down the tube, bounding along under the .2 G field at speeds of up to forty kilometers per hour or moving huge loads like missiles or pallets of explosive bolts at only somewhat slower velocities.
Of course, the law of conservation of mass applied, so all those salty crewmen eventually had to decelerate or dodge other crewmen who were moving down the corridor at speeds far in excess of sense. And since the human eye and mind are not designed to calculate automatically what is "too fast" a closing speed, quite a few of those crewmen ended up impacting on some other sailor, or his large and occasionally deadly load, sometimes at closing speeds that would do for a small air-car wreck.
Axial One produced about fifteen percent of the total "incidental casualties" on the ship.
Of course, "speeds in excess of forty kilometers per hour" had never made it into official reports, even in the Manticoran service. It would take a real jerk, like Hard-Ass Harrington or somebody, to report what actually went on in Axial One, but for some strange reason newer ships didn't have anything like it. Of course, BuShips said that was because Axial One was a structural danger. On the other hand, the admirals at BuShips had served on the companion ships of the Francis Mueller. It was a statistical likelihood approaching certainty that some of them had been involved in an "incidental casualty" report. Which was a much better explanation for removing Axial One, in Sean's medical opinion, than "structural anomalies."
Sean considered all this gloomily as he looked "up" the corridor towards the bow of the ship and wondered if it was one of those idiots who had invented Potato-Sack Tobogganing.
The "floor" of the circular corridor was normally scratched and scuffed alloy. But one strip of it, a U-shaped section about twenty meters across the chord and the full length of the corridor, had been quickly polished and waxed. At the same time, the gravitational pull in the corridor had been set to a forty-five degree "cone." That is, instead of pulling straight "down" or towards the exterior of the ship, the artificial gravity was pulling "sideways" at a forty-five degree angle. Combined with the slickness of the waxed portion, the tendency was to cause a person to slip, and keep slipping. Towards the after end of the corridor the gravity had been adjusted in the other direction. It was an artificial hillside with a catchment at the base.
"Down" which a succession of screaming spacers were now sliding at, literally, break-neck speed.
The potato sacks on which they slid were of a strange, rough material that had been identified for Tyler as "burlap." They were not, apparently, used for carrying potatoes anymore but were kept for the sole purpose of this highly idiotic sport. They also stank to high heaven. The nature of the "sport" tended to cause flatulence and storing them between times was best described as "marinating"; they smelled worse than any latrine Sean had ever encountered. But this was supposedly "fun."
At the bow end of the corridor the captain could faintly be seen, holding onto a stanchion and shouting encouragement. He was apparently a big advocate of "crew quality time" and considered it team-building for everyone in the ship's company to risk their necks in a suicidal game of "find the nearest stanchion with my head."
Now Sean crouched in a small aid station set off the corridor (BuShips was slow, not stupid) and watched as sailor after sailor slid past on fecal-smelling bags—some yelling, others with expressions of quiet, fear-filled, desperation—and considered his orders from the warrant.
"When somebody gets hurt in your area, triage them. If they're just contused or have a surface cut or abrasion, slap a dressing on it and send them on. If they break a bone immobilize it, give 'em a shot to keep 'em quiet and hold them at the station; we'll set them all later. If they sustain a head-wound or spinal damage, send them down to me."
"You mean if somebody gets hurt."
"No, I mean when."
He currently had four of the crew stretched out at the back of the aid station, two with broken legs, one with a broken wrist and one with multiple breaks and contusions. The reason for the damage became apparent as he watched the next contestant.
One of the crew, Kopp, one of the senior missile techs, was just starting down the artificial "slope." He was one of the "face frozen in determination" crowd and it was well earned. Kopp had a reputation for being a hard-luck case, so naturally he didn't make it all the way to the braking field. Instead, he tried to fit in and "surf."
Although the corridor was curved, the artificial gravity drew on it equally across the surface so it "felt" flat. What that meant was that using the weight of the buttocks it was possible, with care and skill, to slide back and forth on the waxed portion and "slalom" down the corridor. The operative words were "care" and "skill." Failure to use either sent the tobogganer into what pilots euphemistically refer to as an "out of control" situation.
Kopp only made it about a third of the way down before he lost it. He had just started to slalom when he went too far to the side and hit the unwaxed portion. This slowed his left buttock abruptly and following the laws of Newtonian physics his right buttock, and most of the rest of his body, continued in the direction they were going. This, first, induced flatulence, as his anus responded to the conflicting forces, then a scream as the first pain hit, and last a pinwheeling figure, bouncing down the corridor, his potato sack spinning off in one direction and his shrieking body, spinning faster, in another.
The yelling stopped, or at least changed tone to low groans, as he hit the coaming of one of the corridor exits. Tyler worked his way out of the first-aid station and laboriously climbed "up" the gravity well on the unwaxed portion, dragging two bags of supplies with him, until he reached the injured missile tech.
Kopp was holding on to the coaming with one hand while cradling the other arm and trying to tilt his head to keep blood from pouring into his eyes.
Tyler felt his cradled arm and shook his head at an in-drawn breath. "Broken, probably a green-stick fracture." He slapped a bandage on the bleeding head wound, attached a splint to the arm and put on a cervical collar for good measure.
"HE'S GOING TO BE OKAY!" he yelled up to the captain.
"NOT WHEN I GET AHOLD OF HIM!" the captain bellowed back. "WHAT KIND OF A SHOWING WAS THAT, KOPP?!"
"This is the quality of sailor we get these days!" the captain grumped.
"Sir," the exec said, apporting in behind him. "There are Regulations governing making oneself unavailable for duty through negligence."
"I'm not going to Captain's Mast Kopp for wiping out," the captain replied, stepping down off his perch and leaning sideways against the gradient. "But what this crew needs is a lesson in how to ride potato sacks. Not enough veterans in this crew, not enough instructors. It's up to the officers to pick up the slack!"
"Uh, Captain," the bosun said uncomfortably as the commander held out his hand for one of the sacks.
"It's up to us to set an example, Boats," Zemet said, snatching the square of cloth out of his resisting hand. "PREPARE FOR A DEMONSTRATION OF HOW TO RIDE A POTATO SACK!" the captain yelled. "PREPARE TO WATCH . . . A PROFESSIONAL!"

"Well, Astro is pretty sure we're on course for Grayson, but we got so well lost first that it's a four day run." Doc dropped into his chair and pulled out his bladder of whiskey, holding it away from his mouth and taking a hard squirt out of the neck. "How's the Captain?" he coughed.
"He's breathing," Sean replied. "Just looks like a standard coma, no evidence of subdural cerebral hematoma."
"Can you just say 'brain bruise' for Tester's Sake?" the warrant grunted. "Four days under the Exec."
There didn't seem to be much else to be said.

"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:38 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

The legendary Alexander stare. Can this be captured on HD?

Just a matter of selecting a good actor(which of course isn´t exactly automatic).

For example, the guy that played Tarkin in the first SW movie could probably have managed it(even if he wouldn´t be quite good for the role overall).

Too busy horse trading huh? To save the career of a quite promising officer...from the clutches of an evil arse, who doesn't belong in the Navy himself. More reasons why politics...sucks!

Corruption, not politics. It´s no longer politics if those involved have alternate motivation.

It seems criminal to me to allow that kind of horseshit in the Navy. Lives are at stake, even your own. So why?

Because a lot of people can´t see beyond their own egocentric nose? Hardly unknown in reality. Quite the opposite sadly.

I hope my own beloved military isn't susceptible to the same excrement. Someone, please, 'say it ain't so!'

Can´t say that unfortunately. The larger a system is, the more room there is for corruption and the more "bad eggs" manage to get into the system and stay there, camouflaged by all the rest.

If you want a shock, try taking a thorough look at the system used for buying hardware for the US military.
Sometimes its not even either corruption nor incompetence, things just get done in outrageous ways because it´s "normal".

Edit: Lol at Invictus quote. Personally my favorite is probably the "prayers" onboard the Francis Mueller. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tenshinai on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Invictus   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:39 am

Invictus
Commander

The Prayer book of Chaplain Olds, of the GNS Francis Mueller... :lol:
"Tester," a nasally voice said over the enunciator, "spare us this day from your Tests."

"Please, Tester, don't let any of the airlocks blow out. Let the environmental system, old as it is, shudder though another day of labor. Please, Tester, let the water recyclers make it through a few more days, even though Engineering says they're just about shot. Tester, please see fit to keep Fusion Two from terminally overloading and blowing us all into Your arms; we love you but we want to see our families again some day.

"Please, Tester, if you could maybe see clear to keeping the compensator on-line? If we don't have the compensator, we can't make our acceleration back home, and we'll drift in space, a derelict, until the systems begin to fail and the power runs out and the air gets foul and we all start eating each other . . ."

It continued in the same vein for a good fifteen minutes as the quavering voice slowly worked its way through every imaginable disaster scenario.
Spaceships were, inherently, disasters waiting to happen. It was one of the main reasons that "the bug" was a problem; any reasonably intelligent individual dealt with a certain amount of "apprehension," as it was politely termed, as soon as he was out of the atmosphere. Vacuum is very unforgiving stuff and even the most advanced technologies could not make space truly safe.
But most people were polite enough not to mention that in public. Much less broadcast it, in detail, over the enunciator.
He began to see why people tended to flip out on the Francis Mueller. And he wondered, as he was getting dressed in the crowded but mostly silent compartment, how much worse it could get.

"Tester, spare us this day from your Tests.

"Please don't let us slam into any celestial bodies, our souls to drift helplessly through the deeps of space as our families wonder what disaster has overtaken us and left us, Tester, bereft and alone, among the stars . . .

"It's been three days now, Tester, and Astrogation is still trying to figure out where we are. If you could maybe see the way clear, Tester, to giving them a hint how to find our way back to Grayson before the air runs out or the environmental systems fail or one of the shuddering fusion reactors explodes, spreading our constituent atoms among the stars . . .

"Tester, I understand that one of the beta nodes is looking pretty bad. If we lose it, Tester, please don't blast out the whole bank. We still don't know exactly where Grayson is, Tester, and we won't be able to send out a distress call that will be picked up unless we can send it in their direction. We don't want to die, Tester, drifting through the empty blackness of the Heavens, our bodies shriveled by vacuum, fighting like rabid dogs, Tester, over the compartments that still have air . . .

"Tester, spare us this day from your Tests. It's been nearly a day, Tester, with the Captain in a coma, and the Exec is preparing capital charges for a quarter of the crew. Based on simple statistics, Tester, no one is going to be alive when we reach Grayson. The ship will be a tomb, drifting helplessly in the grip of gravity wells and the solar wind . . ."

Ye gods and little fishies.

Post by hanuman   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:31 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
“I never realized just how much worse a victory could make a defeat taste,” Augustus Khumalo said much later that evening.

He, Michelle, Michael Oversteegen, and Sir Aivars Terekhov sat with Baroness Medusa on the ocean-side balcony of her official residence. The tide was in, and surf made a soothing, rhythmic sound in the darkness, but no one felt very soothed at the moment.

“I know,” Michelle agreed. “It kind of makes everything we’ve accomplished out here look a lot less important, doesn’t it?”

“No, Milady, it most definitely does not,” Medusa said so sharply that Michelle twitched in her chair and looked at the smaller woman in surprise.

“Sorry,” Medusa said after a moment. “I didn’t mean to sound as if I were snapping at you. But you—and Augustus and Aivars and Michael—have accomplished an enormous amount ‘out here.’ Don’t ever denigrate your accomplishments—or yourselves—just because of bad news from somewhere else!”

LOOK AT MY BABY GO!!!

Do I detect a hint of...love, perhaps? :wink:
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:44 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

hanuman wrote:
roseandheather wrote:“I never realized just how much worse a victory could make a defeat taste,” Augustus Khumalo said much later that evening.

He, Michelle, Michael Oversteegen, and Sir Aivars Terekhov sat with Baroness Medusa on the ocean-side balcony of her official residence. The tide was in, and surf made a soothing, rhythmic sound in the darkness, but no one felt very soothed at the moment.

“I know,” Michelle agreed. “It kind of makes everything we’ve accomplished out here look a lot less important, doesn’t it?”

“No, Milady, it most definitely does not,” Medusa said so sharply that Michelle twitched in her chair and looked at the smaller woman in surprise.

“Sorry,” Medusa said after a moment. “I didn’t mean to sound as if I were snapping at you. But you—and Augustus and Aivars and Michael—have accomplished an enormous amount ‘out here.’ Don’t ever denigrate your accomplishments—or yourselves—just because of bad news from somewhere else!”

LOOK AT MY BABY GO!!!

Do I detect a hint of...love, perhaps? :wink:

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 8-)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by hanuman   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:21 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 8-)

Oh, of course not :wink:

Personally, I want more Tremaine. Scotty just has to be my favourite character of all.

You hear that, Mr Weber? More Scotty for me, and more of the Baroness for Rose, please!
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:49 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

hanuman wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 8-)

Oh, of course not :wink:

Personally, I want more Tremaine. Scotty just has to be my favourite character of all.

You hear that, Mr Weber? More Scotty for me, and more of the Baroness for Rose, please!

I fully expect that at some point it is going to be up to Scotty with 2 cruisers and a short handed planetary defense LAC wing (local manning) to conduct the defense of a system (? Montana ?) against a raiding force of battlecruisers. OohWahHoo!

dreamrider
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:55 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:
I fully expect that at some point it is going to be up to Scotty with 2 cruisers and a short handed planetary defense LAC wing (local manning) to conduct the defense of a system (? Montana ?) against a raiding force of battlecruisers. OohWahHoo!

dreamrider

And then Estelle and Augustus will be reading his report and looking at each other and demanding to know WHAT THE HELL THEY DID to be saddled with a bunch of mad Navy captains who insist on pulling victories out of some strange Honor-esque compartment of strategic brilliance while having their own command practically shot out underneath them and what did they do wrong to deserve this?? And at least he didn't hijack the rest of their forces... oh, wait... damn it!!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by hanuman   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:03 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
dreamrider wrote:

dreamrider

And then Estelle and Augustus will be reading his report and looking at each other and demanding to know WHAT THE HELL THEY DID to be saddled with a bunch of mad Navy captains who insist on pulling victories out of some strange Honor-esque compartment of strategic brilliance while having their own command practically shot out underneath them and what did they do wrong to deserve this?? And at least he didn't hijack the rest of their forces... oh, wait... damn it!!

Uh uh. Dame Estelle will look at Khumalo and say: "That's MY boy".

I can't remember, did she ever meet Scotty back in OBS?

Return to Honorverse