Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 146 guests

Honorverse favorite passages

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite passages
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:Good night, people. It's already 03:43 here and my jaw is threatening to dislocate.

:o
Goodnight hanuman. Sleep tight if you might. If you shan't and ye have nightmares, just hyper out! If you're not close enuff to REM to hyper out, then roll ship! Falling outta bed will wake you...every time! :lol:

Gotta go too. Fireworks display!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

From AAC. The last conversation between D'Orville and Caparelli...

Caparelli appeared on D'Orville's com display almost instantly.
"Sebastian," he said, his voice level but his expression taut.
"Tom." D'Orville nodded back, thinking about how many times they'd greeted one another exactly the same way before . . . and wondering if they'd ever do it again.
"I think I've got to go out to meet them," D'Orville continued.
"If you do, you lose the inner-system pods," Caparelli countered, and D'Orville nodded grimly.

break

"If you go out to meet them," Caparelli continued, "you'll have to take them on without any support, and they've got a huge edge in numbers. You'll lose everything you've got if you meet them head-on."
"And if I don't take them head-to-head, I let them into range of the planet," D'Orville countered harshly.
"So far, they've stayed away from anything which might look like a violation of the Eridani Edict," Caparelli pointed out.
"And so far they haven't invaded our home system, either," D'Orville shot back. The Manticoran tradition was that the Admiralty did not second guess a fleet CO when battle threatened—not even Home Fleet's commander. What D'Orville did with his fleet was his decision. Admiralty House might advise, might provide additional intelligence or suggest tactics, but the decision was his, and it wasn't like Thomas Caparelli to try to change that.

But D'Orville wasn't really surprised by Caparelli's reluctance to admit what he knew as well as D'Orville did had to happen. The First Space Lord knew too many of the men and women aboard D'Orville's ships . . . and he couldn't join them. He would be safely back on Manticore when the hammer came down on Home Fleet, and Sebastian D'Orville knew Caparelli too well, knew exactly what the other admiral was feeling, the miracle he wanted to find. But there were no miracles, not today, and so D'Orville shook his head.

"No, Tom," he said almost gently. "I'd like to hang back—believe me, I would. But we can't count on continued restraint where their targeting's concerned. This one is for all the marbles. They've got thirty squadrons of SD(P)s—the equivalent of forty of our squadrons, with over a million people aboard them—coming at us, right into the heart of our defenses. That means they're ready for massive losses. I don't think we can expect them to take that kind of punishment without handing out whatever they can in return, and even if they never intentionally fire a single shot at the planet, think about how damned inaccurate end-of-run MDMs are. I can't let hundreds of those things go flying around this close to Sphinx."

"I know." Caparelli closed his eyes for a moment, then inhaled deeply and opened them once more.

"I've ordered the Case Zulu message transmitted to all commands," he said, his voice more clipped, his dread of what was to come cloaked in reflex professionalism.

"Theodosia can start responding from Trevor's Star in about fifteen minutes, but most of Eighth Fleet is off the terminus, on maneuvers. I don't know how quickly it can get back there, but I'm guessing it'll take at least a couple of hours just for Duchess Harrington to get to the terminus. I'm recalling Jessup Blaine's squadrons from the Lynx Terminus, as well, but our best estimate on his current response time is even longer than Eighth Fleet's."

"And even Theodosia can't do it in a mass transit," D'Orville said grimly. "She's going to have to do it one ship at a time, the same way Hamish did it when the bastards hit Basilisk, because we're going to need everything she's got."

break

Caparelli looked out of the display, his eyes and face grim. "All you can do is the best you can do, Sebastian. We'll do whatever we can to support you, but it isn't going to be much."

"Who would have thought they'd throw something this size at us?" D'Orville asked almost whimsically.

"Nobody on the Strategy Board, that's for sure." Caparelli's voice was briefly saw-edged with bitter self-reproach, as if there were some way he could have kept this nightmare from coming. Then he got control of it again. "Actually, I suspect Harrington's the only one who would have believed they might throw the dice this way. And I honestly don't think even she would have expected them to."

"Well, they're here now, and my nodes are coming up. It looks like we're going to be pretty busy in a little while, Tom. Clear."

All of the unspoken subtext says,"Farewell, old friend..."
:cry:
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:From AAC. The last conversation between D'Orville and Caparelli...

Caparelli appeared on D'Orville's com display almost instantly.
"Sebastian," he said, his voice level but his expression taut.
"Tom." D'Orville nodded back, thinking about how many times they'd greeted one another exactly the same way before . . . and wondering if they'd ever do it again.
"I think I've got to go out to meet them," D'Orville continued.
"If you do, you lose the inner-system pods," Caparelli countered, and D'Orville nodded grimly.

break

"If you go out to meet them," Caparelli continued, "you'll have to take them on without any support, and they've got a huge edge in numbers. You'll lose everything you've got if you meet them head-on."
"And if I don't take them head-to-head, I let them into range of the planet," D'Orville countered harshly.
"So far, they've stayed away from anything which might look like a violation of the Eridani Edict," Caparelli pointed out.
"And so far they haven't invaded our home system, either," D'Orville shot back. The Manticoran tradition was that the Admiralty did not second guess a fleet CO when battle threatened—not even Home Fleet's commander. What D'Orville did with his fleet was his decision. Admiralty House might advise, might provide additional intelligence or suggest tactics, but the decision was his, and it wasn't like Thomas Caparelli to try to change that.

But D'Orville wasn't really surprised by Caparelli's reluctance to admit what he knew as well as D'Orville did had to happen. The First Space Lord knew too many of the men and women aboard D'Orville's ships . . . and he couldn't join them. He would be safely back on Manticore when the hammer came down on Home Fleet, and Sebastian D'Orville knew Caparelli too well, knew exactly what the other admiral was feeling, the miracle he wanted to find. But there were no miracles, not today, and so D'Orville shook his head.

"No, Tom," he said almost gently. "I'd like to hang back—believe me, I would. But we can't count on continued restraint where their targeting's concerned. This one is for all the marbles. They've got thirty squadrons of SD(P)s—the equivalent of forty of our squadrons, with over a million people aboard them—coming at us, right into the heart of our defenses. That means they're ready for massive losses. I don't think we can expect them to take that kind of punishment without handing out whatever they can in return, and even if they never intentionally fire a single shot at the planet, think about how damned inaccurate end-of-run MDMs are. I can't let hundreds of those things go flying around this close to Sphinx."

"I know." Caparelli closed his eyes for a moment, then inhaled deeply and opened them once more.

"I've ordered the Case Zulu message transmitted to all commands," he said, his voice more clipped, his dread of what was to come cloaked in reflex professionalism.

"Theodosia can start responding from Trevor's Star in about fifteen minutes, but most of Eighth Fleet is off the terminus, on maneuvers. I don't know how quickly it can get back there, but I'm guessing it'll take at least a couple of hours just for Duchess Harrington to get to the terminus. I'm recalling Jessup Blaine's squadrons from the Lynx Terminus, as well, but our best estimate on his current response time is even longer than Eighth Fleet's."

"And even Theodosia can't do it in a mass transit," D'Orville said grimly. "She's going to have to do it one ship at a time, the same way Hamish did it when the bastards hit Basilisk, because we're going to need everything she's got."

break

Caparelli looked out of the display, his eyes and face grim. "All you can do is the best you can do, Sebastian. We'll do whatever we can to support you, but it isn't going to be much."

"Who would have thought they'd throw something this size at us?" D'Orville asked almost whimsically.

"Nobody on the Strategy Board, that's for sure." Caparelli's voice was briefly saw-edged with bitter self-reproach, as if there were some way he could have kept this nightmare from coming. Then he got control of it again. "Actually, I suspect Harrington's the only one who would have believed they might throw the dice this way. And I honestly don't think even she would have expected them to."

"Well, they're here now, and my nodes are coming up. It looks like we're going to be pretty busy in a little while, Tom. Clear."

All of the unspoken subtext says,"Farewell, old friend..."
:cry:

You can leave.

Correction. You can bring me tissues, and then you can leave.

That. Was. Not. Fair.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
You can leave.

That. Was. Not. Fair.

Sorry, Rose. I'm re-reading AAC and I'm starting the ending section. I always liked D'Orville and his swansong was appropriately heroic.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:15 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
roseandheather wrote:
You can leave.

That. Was. Not. Fair.

Sorry, Rose. I'm re-reading AAC and I'm starting the ending section. I always liked D'Orville and his swansong was appropriately heroic.

Bring me tissues and all is forgiven. :)

*curls up under blanket and cries*

AAC is murder on my tear ducts.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:

Will these do?
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:37 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

Will these do?

*gratefully accepts box*

*makes tea*

*cries self stupid*
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by hanuman   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:00 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
*gratefully accepts box*

*makes tea*

*cries self stupid*

Morning all :smile:

Hey Rose, you do know necrophilia is just so no-no, yeah? :evil:
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:11 am

roseandheather
Admiral

hanuman wrote:
roseandheather wrote:
*gratefully accepts box*

*makes tea*

*cries self stupid*

Morning all :smile:

Hey Rose, you do know necrophilia is just so no-no, yeah? :evil:

I beg your pardon??
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by kzt   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:26 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
hanuman wrote:Hey Rose, you do know necrophilia is just so no-no, yeah? :evil:

I beg your pardon??

It's still OK to beat dead horses, right? ;)

Return to Honorverse