Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests

Thank you, Mr Weber.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Thank you, Mr Weber.
Post by hanuman   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:18 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

Mr Weber, I don't know if anyone has done this elsewhere, but I cannot find a specific thread on your website (and there just ain't enough minutes in the day to read each and every post).

But, thank you for Cauldron of Ghosts. In my opinion, it is by far the very best (and the most enjoyable) of all the Honorverse books to date.

The book covers EVERYTHING. From technology to culture to economics to politics to combat to humor to deep personal relationships.

I started reading it two days ago at 18:00 and finished the last page at 04:00 the next morning, and I enjoyed every single word thereof.

Thank you for sharing your incredible talent and imagination with your readers.
Re: Thank you, Mr Weber.
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:41 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Well, I will go as far as to say that CoG is the best of what I have taken to calling the "Bridge" novels (A Rising Thunder, Shadows of Freedom, Cauldron of Ghosts), in that they bridge the time from the Manticore-Haven conflict, which was the raison d'etre for the last, oh, 20 books or so, to the Solarian/MAlignment conflict.

And I would add my thanks to yours to our MWW/DW/RFC for giving us such an interesting and involved universe to play in, with many characters whom pique our interest and emotions.

But to me, Echos of Honor/Ashes of Victory/War of Honor are the three books I'll read and re-read again (along with thrice-yearly visits to From the Highlands).

De gustibus non est disputandum*

*Which I have been told means--"There is no disputing that Gus is in the East." :shock: :lol:
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by namelessfly   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:01 am

namelessfly

CoG was a welcome return to the Weber tradition of desperate, uncertain battles that forge intense, personal loyalties. Thandi Palane has become my new hero. I will have to reread CoS to refresh my impression of her appearance so I can visualize her in a shower scene.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 am

roseandheather
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:CoG was a welcome return to the Weber tradition of desperate, uncertain battles that forge intense, personal loyalties. Thandi Palane has become my new hero. I will have to reread CoS to refresh my impression of her appearance so I can visualize her in a shower scene.

Oh, Nameless. And you were doing so well until the last sentence. :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by hanuman   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:12 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

namelessfly wrote:CoG was a welcome return to the Weber tradition of desperate, uncertain battles that forge intense, personal loyalties. Thandi Palane has become my new hero. I will have to reread CoS to refresh my impression of her appearance so I can visualize her in a shower scene.

And here I thought you were lesbian...oh, wait, that works too LOL
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

hanuman wrote:

And here I thought you were lesbian...oh, wait, that works too LOL

No, so far as I know the only girl who likes girls on this board is me (though I might be wrong about that).
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by hanuman   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
No, so far as I know the only girl who likes girls on this board is me (though I might be wrong about that).

Hey, welcome to the family. Or is it the other way around, since I'm newer here than you?
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:23 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

hanuman wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

Hey, welcome to the family. Or is it the other way around, since I'm newer here than you?

Other way around. Why, I've been here for a grand total of seven whole months! :lol:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by hanuman   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:42 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
Other way around. Why, I've been here for a grand total of seven whole months! :lol:

Yeah, then you should welcome me. I think it's only been a month or so for me...

Anyways, I think one of the reasons I enjoyed Cauldron so much is because the title includes one of my favourite words in the English language - it brings up thoughts of witches and medieval times and all kinds of dark and mysterious things <grin>

But seriously, it's mostly because of all the intricate detail about Mesan society and politics, and to a lesser extent because it starts tying all the hanging threads from previous books together.
Post by Uroboros   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:56 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

I hate to be the sole dissenting opinion, but I have to disagree. While overall, I enjoyed much of the book, I have to say that the first half of the book felt out of character to Weber's writing style. It felt, in many cases, like a series of first-drafts roughly shoved together in semi-order.

There's a couple of subplots that did not seem to go anywhere, and there's one pair of scenes, while induvidually well-written, felt very deus ex-ish. Both Cachet and Zilwicki felt unusually out-of-character during the first few scenes they were in, and I feel like it could have used a lot more time for revising and editing.

That being said, it is like someone else entirely wrote the second half of the book. I enjoyed it immensely, and after getting Cachet and Zilwicki to Mesa, I had trouble putting down the book.

While I feel that the good outweighed the bad, I feel that is was just barely. I think it was an okay showing, and with a few more months with the editors, it could have been a lot better.

Return to Honorverse