Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Sonja Hemphill

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Sonja Hemphill
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:34 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:And that's only one example of a new paradigm shift or war winning ship/weapon being quite quickly countered. So he was suspicious (and by the end overly so) of their promised revolution and wanted to make sure the existing highly capable navy wasn't sacrificed for something new that might be subject to an easy counter.

RFC was quite clear that both sides were both right and wrong.

The jeune école was proposing untried technologies at a time when that could be least afforded. If you're right that they also accepted higher attrition than the standard methods, that's a negative in their column too. Meanwhile, dismissing any technological improvement (like the SLN was doing) would be fatal for the SKM. Not only did they need to strike the middle, they also needed both.

The RMN needed good people like White Haven who knew how to use what already existed, while other people like Sonja invented new toys. HoS is clear on that:

House of Steel, March 1855 PD wrote:It wasn't that Alexander opposed R&D; it was simply that he felt Hemphill had far too much faith in pie-in-the-sky future super weapons which threatened to prevent concentration on improvement of existing technologies. He'd pointed out more than once that the best was the worst enemy of good enough, and argued that the Navy had to build innovative tactical and operational doctrines it knew was attainable if it was going to confront an opponent like the PRH. It couldn't afford to depend on stumbling across some radical transformation of war-fighting technology which had somehow managed to elude the rest of the galaxy for the past couple of T-centuries; instead (as he'd told Sonja on more than one scathing occasion), the emphasis should be on improvement of known technologies. Pure, speculative R&D had a place in his view, but primary emphasis should be placed on applied research to provide the greatest possible qualitative edge in existing offensive and defensive systems.

The problem, Roger thought, is that we need both of them because both of them are making very valid arguments. Sonja really is too convinced she's going to come up with a silver bullet if she just throws enough ideas at the bulkhead until one of them sticks. She's not interested in how we get the best use out of the systems we've already got, because she's so confident she's going to be able to replace them with something so much better. And Hamish is too stubborn—and smart, and outside the loop of what we're looking at over here—to pin his hopes on something that may well never materialize. No wonder the two of them are at each other's throats! But at least he doesn't think Sonja's a cretin with delusions of godhood the way he sees Janacek.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:02 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

cthia wrote:Since we know Shannon was labeled as a bit antisocial, if it is actually true, perhaps she hacked her own assignments. Caslet, then Tourville?

Why not, we know that Harkness's hacks made sure he and Tremaine stayed together.

She very well could have. She has hacked things before.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:20 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I think you might be overstating the lack of new weapons and technology over the proceeding 3 centuries. From IIF we know that impeller missiles (first prototypes 1246 PD followed "soon" by "smaller more practical drives"), sidewalls (1260s? PD "roughly a decade after [practical?] impeller missiles], sidewall penetrators (1298 PD) are all well beyond 3 centuries old.

But now "The stage was now set for an arms development race that has continued for the last seven hundred years. Military spacecraft designers devised increasingly effective ways to deceive, destroy, or block the attacking missiles. Weapon designers invented increasingly effective seekers, sidewall penetrators, and warheads. The evolutionary development over the period between about 1300 and 1800 was sometimes punctuated by bursts of revolutionary activity that introduced competing technologies on both sides of the offensive/defensive divide." [IFF]

Next on mentioned is still more than 3 centuries old; the inertial compensators (1412 PD)

You can't use examples of technology advancement over 3 centuries old to prove that there was significant development in the last 3 centuries.
That wasn't my intent. I was mentioning those, and specifically noting they predated the time period in question, just to remind everyone of the baseline tech that existed before the technological changes of the 3 centuries in question. To, as the quote went, "set the stage" for my argument.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I'm not saying there was no development at all. I'm saying there wasn't much significant development, meaning the strategies and tactics of battle remained unchanged. There was nothing to upset the cart -- or at least nothing that wasn't countered and thus restored the status quo. Besides, with few to no large-scale wars, there was nobody actually trying any new ideas.

We know for a fact in this period the SLN decayed, going from unquestioned superior force to lazy layabout. They actively avoided and even suppressed any development that would nullify their advantages, precisely because they wanted the existing strategies to remain successful.

From your list before the laserhead:
Pure fusion (grav pinch) warhead (1650s PD) -- allowing warhead's of unheard of yields to be fitted into missile bodies (allowing them to overload and burn out sidewalls).

Altering fusion fuels to gain a bit of standoff range and tune the resulting radiation (1669 PD)

Impeller drive counter missile (1701 PD)

Point defense laser weapons (1780s PD)

nuclear gravitically directed energy weapon (NGDEW) (1806 PD) -- improved direction shaping and increased standoff range for sidewall burning warheads.

RMN achieves 8-10,000 km warhead standoff range for sidewall burning (1826 PD)

I don't see anything revolutionary. The increase in stand-off range is countered by the impeller-drive CM, which can reach out and stop shipkillers at longer range too. And the overall battle strategy remains the same: hammer with missiles to degrade sidewalls until you close to energy weapons range.

Anyone at this time that might have suggested using a thousand missiles in a salvo from 8 million km out would be considered a lunatic. The Manticore class SD had 22 missile tubes in the broadside. So even if they stacked a double launch, you'd need 22 ships to fire 968 missiles. The RMN had three of those. Even if you include all the missile tubes of the 11 Ad Astra DNs and of the 16 Thorson-class battleships, they wouldn't add up to enough tubes.

And of course glossed over in that list is a steady back and forth of advances in ECM, jammers, decoys, sidewalls, sidewall penetrators, warheads, point defense autocannon, improved laser clusters, steady upward creep in maximum compensator tonnage, etc. etc., each temporarily tilting the advantage towards attack or back to defense. All of that is enough innovation within the stagnant tactical "plateau" that you probable had more than just the fringe feeling that some new design, fully buying into the latest advance, might shake things up and provide a major advantage.

So if not a full blown jeune école movement during that whole period there was probably always at least the nucleus of such a movement within the RMN and it would have waxed and waned in size and influence through the many decades.

Sure, every time something new came up, someone would stand up and declare that war-fighting would have changed forever and would have been indistinguishable from before. But it didn't, both because none of those were independently sufficient to achieve that and because there was no war to put the theories into practice. So the jeune école prior to the late-19th century improvements would have been dismissed as irrelevant, if it existed.

That would contribute to the other side of the argument, that war-fighting had plateaued and that it was best to stick to tried and true methods. Or that there was nothing new to be learned.

With the benefit of hindsight its easy to see that the impeller driven CM countered the more powerful warheads, and that none of these innovations fundamentally upset the apple cart. But those counters didn't arise instantly, in the case of the CM it took over 30 years. That seems the blink of an eye when looking back over 3 centuries, but that's an entire generation of warship designers (remember this is way before prolong) that are dealing with the fact that offense of vastly more powerful warheads seems to have trumped the defense of sidewalls. Yes some of them would be looking for ways to add defenses to counter the more powerful warheads. But I've no doubt that some proclaimed the era of the battleship is dead and since ships can't survive modern warheads we need to instead build many more small ships so we lose less of our fleet for each hit, they're better able to evade, and we can swarm the old obsolete designs with our fast cheap missile boats carrying missiles with warheads far more powerful than the capital ship missiles of just a few years ago!

It looks like a revolutionary technology... until a few decades later when the counter comes out. And now big ships able to carry lots of impeller powered CMs can wipe the floor with your swarms of frigates.

So sure, it's easy to look back from here and say any previous jeune école movements were wrong. (Though -- as with the original French ideas of torpedo boats -- if a war had happened at just the right time, before counters could be developed and rolled out, the jeune école designs would have most likely worked and proved to be the destabilizing influence that their proponents claimed).

And for that matter, podlaying wallers, MDM, and FTL fire-control are all a decade or less old. In a couple more decades who knows that countermeasures might come out to swing the balance strongly back in favor of defense and restore the old stylized slugging matches. It's just this time a war came along at just the right time for one side to benefit from the well timed destabilization.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:And that's only one example of a new paradigm shift or war winning ship/weapon being quite quickly countered. So he was suspicious (and by the end overly so) of their promised revolution and wanted to make sure the existing highly capable navy wasn't sacrificed for something new that might be subject to an easy counter.

RFC was quite clear that both sides were both right and wrong.

The jeune école was proposing untried technologies at a time when that could be least afforded. If you're right that they also accepted higher attrition than the standard methods, that's a negative in their column too. Meanwhile, dismissing any technological improvement (like the SLN was doing) would be fatal for the SKM. Not only did they need to strike the middle, they also needed both.

The RMN needed good people like White Haven who knew how to use what already existed, while other people like Sonja invented new toys. HoS is clear on that:

House of Steel, March 1855 PD wrote:It wasn't that Alexander opposed R&D; it was simply that he felt Hemphill had far too much faith in pie-in-the-sky future super weapons which threatened to prevent concentration on improvement of existing technologies. He'd pointed out more than once that the best was the worst enemy of good enough, and argued that the Navy had to build innovative tactical and operational doctrines it knew was attainable if it was going to confront an opponent like the PRH. It couldn't afford to depend on stumbling across some radical transformation of war-fighting technology which had somehow managed to elude the rest of the galaxy for the past couple of T-centuries; instead (as he'd told Sonja on more than one scathing occasion), the emphasis should be on improvement of known technologies. Pure, speculative R&D had a place in his view, but primary emphasis should be placed on applied research to provide the greatest possible qualitative edge in existing offensive and defensive systems.

The problem, Roger thought, is that we need both of them because both of them are making very valid arguments. Sonja really is too convinced she's going to come up with a silver bullet if she just throws enough ideas at the bulkhead until one of them sticks. She's not interested in how we get the best use out of the systems we've already got, because she's so confident she's going to be able to replace them with something so much better. And Hamish is too stubborn—and smart, and outside the loop of what we're looking at over here—to pin his hopes on something that may well never materialize. No wonder the two of them are at each other's throats! But at least he doesn't think Sonja's a cretin with delusions of godhood the way he sees Janacek.

I understand that, but my niece's problem with Hamish is after Apollo had arrived. Even Elvis Santino should have been able to see the advantages of Apollo. Hamish eventually came around after he was browbeat, yes, but I agree with my niece that he wouldn't have been my first choice to hand Apollo pods off to and trust that he could use them properly. Remember, was it Honor who stated that the surface of Apollo's capability had barely been scratched? Hamish was completely oblivious to that.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:16 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

White haven has never touched Apollo.

Apollo wasn't deployed to the fleet until after Haven's operation Thunderbolt had savaged the RMN and High ridge etc were jailed or killed themselves and White Haven become first Lord of Admiralty.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:White haven has never touched Apollo.

Apollo wasn't deployed to the fleet until after Haven's operation Thunderbolt had savaged the RMN and High ridge etc were jailed or killed themselves and White Haven become first Lord of Admiralty.

Good! I wasn't trying to imply that he did ever touch Apollo. And neither was my niece implying there had ever been such a ghastly waste of Apollo missiles. As I said, that notion was simply used as an argument by my niece explaining to the college students why Hamish wasn't so high on her list of greatest tacticians / strategists.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:32 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Good! I wasn't trying to imply that he did ever touch Apollo. And neither was my niece implying there had ever been such a ghastly waste of Apollo missiles. As I said, that notion was simply used as an argument by my niece explaining to the college students why Hamish wasn't so high on her list of greatest tacticians / strategists.

Ok, I can take that. Near the passage of HoS I quoted above, Prince Roger is thinking that Hamish is probably one of the most gifted tacticians of his generation, but that he'd still need to prove if he was a good strategist.

In other words, once he's given the tools he needs and has the time to learn them, he can employ them very, very well. His success in both pre-pod warfare like the liberation of Trevor's Star as well as after that with Operation Buttercup are proof enough. However, he may lack in imagination and in taking things to their next step, which may be your niece's point. He didn't see the advantage of pods until Honor browbeat that into him. So she may have a point that if he had been given Apollo missiles, he may have used them well, but not as expertly as Honor did.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Good! I wasn't trying to imply that he did ever touch Apollo. And neither was my niece implying there had ever been such a ghastly waste of Apollo missiles. As I said, that notion was simply used as an argument by my niece explaining to the college students why Hamish wasn't so high on her list of greatest tacticians / strategists.

Ok, I can take that. Near the passage of HoS I quoted above, Prince Roger is thinking that Hamish is probably one of the most gifted tacticians of his generation, but that he'd still need to prove if he was a good strategist.

In other words, once he's given the tools he needs and has the time to learn them, he can employ them very, very well. His success in both pre-pod warfare like the liberation of Trevor's Star as well as after that with Operation Buttercup are proof enough. However, he may lack in imagination and in taking things to their next step, which may be your niece's point. He didn't see the advantage of pods until Honor browbeat that into him. So she may have a point that if he had been given Apollo missiles, he may have used them well, but not as expertly as Honor did.

That is exactly my niece's point.

Remember, the older college students were trying to browbeat my 12-yr-old niece for not wanting to place Hamish so high on her list. And my niece became exasperated with them.

When I asked her why she thought so little of Hamish's skills, she explained it to me at point-blank range.

What stuck out so brightly was her notion that "Hamish should not be given Apollo to finish his drive towards Noveau Paris, because he can never truly appreciate Apollo. Honor should do it!"

It made sense to me. She said she'd rather have Alice Truman if Honor wasn't available.

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:45 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Remember, the older college students were trying to browbeat my 12-yr-old niece for not wanting to place Hamish so high on her list. And my niece became exasperated with them.

When I asked her why she thought so little of Hamish's skills, she explained it to me at point-blank range.

What stuck out so brightly was her notion that "Hamish should not be given Apollo to finish his drive towards Noveau Paris, because he can never truly appreciate Apollo. Honor should do it!"

It made sense to me. She said she'd rather have Alice Truman if Honor wasn't available.

Oh, there's no doubt that Honor is at the top of the list. It's the Honorverse, after all.

How high White Haven should be placed at is very relative. How good is everyone else? As they say, "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." I'd definitely place Theisman above him, above everyone but Honor; I'd rank Alice, Alistair, Gold Peak, Scotty, and Tourville high too, but I'm not sure how I'd disposition them against one another and against White Haven. Tourville and Gold Peak probably above White Haven, but the others might be ranked lower for now because they've had fewer opportunities to show their skills. Now that Honor is retired, those worthies may get the opportunity to shine and show just what they're made of.

One that also deserves a high ranking was Tom Caparelli. He was First Space Lord through most of the two wars with Haven and the one with the League. He wouldn't have held his post if he hadn't been a good leader and seen the bigger picture. Alfredo Yu and Raoul Courvoisier should probably rank high too because they were the mentors of the two highest ones and they can't have been held in high esteem by those if they weren't good on their own accounts too.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Remember, the older college students were trying to browbeat my 12-yr-old niece for not wanting to place Hamish so high on her list. And my niece became exasperated with them.

Oh, there's no doubt that Honor is at the top of the list. It's the Honorverse, after all.

How high White Haven should be placed at is very relative. How good is everyone else? As they say, "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." I'd definitely place Theisman above him, above everyone but Honor; I'd rank Alice, Alistair, Gold Peak, Scotty, and Tourville high too, but I'm not sure how I'd disposition them against one another and against White Haven. Tourville and Gold Peak probably above White Haven, but the others might be ranked lower for now because they've had fewer opportunities to show their skills. Now that Honor is retired, those worthies may get the opportunity to shine and show just what they're made of.

One that also deserves a high ranking was Tom Caparelli. He was First Space Lord through most of the two wars with Haven and the one with the League. He wouldn't have held his post if he hadn't been a good leader and seen the bigger picture. Alfredo Yu and Raoul Courvoisier should probably rank high too because they were the mentors of the two highest ones and they can't have been held in high esteem by those if they weren't good on their own accounts too.

In the beginning my niece had to argue back and forth about who would actually be put on the list to choose from. They didn't think Courvosier belonged on the list. She stuck to her guns. He was #1 on her list. I must admit, his inclusion surprised me as well, but ultimately I agree with her.

My niece's take on placing Courvosier first on her list.

my niece wrote:Strategists:
1. Raoul Courvosier
Raoul rounds out the top of my list because of his rigorous teaching methods. That is a strategy all unto itself. The military uses certain strategies to teach soldiers to learn to kill. Taking a life is anathema to human beings. Hopefully! The use of "Patriotism" is an often overlooked strategic teaching method to overcome the natural anathematic tendency to kill. His strategy of shaping his students into the most capable force places him at the top of my strategic list. He may be more of a Grand Strategist, as Rob Pierre and Detweiler. Since there is no chance of a Grand Strategist list I must include him here.

She would have loved you for that.

Return to Honorverse