Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests

Houdini and its consequences(CoG spoilers)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Houdini and its consequences(CoG spoilers)
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:59 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

SCC wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:That's fairly obvious. Possibly a bit too obvious. However, Zack McBryde definitely knows about the Torch wormhole connection to the Twins; whether he knows anything beyond that is currently unknown. In particular, we don't know if he knows anything about either Felix or Darius, or if he does, if he knows about the Felix-Twins connection.

Where do you get the idea that Zack knows about the twins?

Please reread Chapter 5 of Torch of Freedom, where he says, but not quite in so many words, that he does.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:34 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Howdy everybody,

I used the wrong figure for Mesa, its almost 6 billion, so Mesa outnumbers Torch by almost 430-1, not 200-1.

Mea culpa.

L

lyonheart wrote:Hi MunroBurton,

Haven is only 677 LY from Sol, or less than 3 month's in hyper, not 6 or 18 month's [from FoD] which RFC admitted was an egregious typo in one of the pearls, which are still not working.

Torch is around 15 days from Torch in a db via the hyper bridges, technically closer but the time/distance objections still hold.

The textev states Torch's population was only around 14 million IIRC, despite ~15,000 immigrants a week, so Mesa's outnumbers it by 200-1?

So that's 2 strikes, but RFC may be holding out on us. ;)

L

munroburton wrote:**quote="Weird Harold"**[quote="SYED"]...WAnt to really mess with mesa and the alignment, put forward a plan that has mesa asking to join the kingdom of torch. This is a newly freed planet of slaves, who better to join with. **quote**

I don't think that would be feasible due to the communications lag. Even if the Torch Wormhole was useable, I don't believe that would reduce the communications lag to make a single polity workable.

Mesa has been in existence for a long, long time. It's been nearly 500 years since Leonard Detweiler established the colony there. It's a planetary population in the billions, with entrenched cultural traditions and political classes.

Torch is essentially a brand new colony, with an enormous (currently) classless immigrant population, but I doubt they've passed more than a few hundred million.

The time lag involved means those billions would be governed by Torch's tiny government, all those hundreds of light years away. To shorten the communication loop, they would have to rely on using wormhole bridges requiring long term permission from Erewhon, Manticore, Beowulf and Visigoth. Or another more ideal connection may run elsewhere through the League.

Without access to those, it's a thousand light year voyage between Congo and Mesa, according to the prettier maps out there. Didn't Haven need six months to make a round trip to Sol once cut off from the wormhole network? In less than six months(Feb 1922 to June 1922), the Solarian League lost five hundred wallers and pretty much all its wormholes.

Heck, even Manticore(AKA Wormhole Xtreme) isn't silly enough to govern Silesia or Talbott directly and it's got guaranteed control of these links until someone works out a way to drop out of hyperspace totally undetected.

Yes, given the GA's friendly status with Torch, they could attempt it. However, I doubt Prime Minister Du Havel would endorse the attempt, unless the Darius wormhole chain leads somewhere very near Mesa. Then, only if Torch asserted control of all those systems would it stand a chance of being such an extended interstellar polity.

Think of it as the USA of 1800 trying to incorporate China. That's a toughie, even if 50-70% of China fully supported the movement.
[/quote]
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Hutch   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:08 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

JohnRoth wrote: That's fairly obvious. Possibly a bit too obvious. However, Zack McBryde definitely knows about the Torch wormhole connection to the Twins; whether he knows anything beyond that is currently unknown. In particular, we don't know if he knows anything about either Felix or Darius, or if he does, if he knows about the Felix-Twins connection.

SCC wrote:Where do you get the idea that Zack knows about the twins?

JohnRoth wrote:Please reread Chapter 5 of Torch of Freedom, where he says, but not quite in so many words, that he does.

Or if you don't have it handy, I think John was remarking on this comment:

"Oh, I'm not talking about any hardware surprises, if that's what you're thinking," Zachariah assured him. "As far as I know, the Manties didn't trot out a single new gadget this time around. Which, much as I hate to admit it"—he smiled a bit sourly—"actually came as a pleasant surprise, for a change." He shook his head. "No, what bothers me is the fact that Manticore and Haven are cooperating on anything. The fact that they managed to get the League on board with them, too, doesn't make me any happier, of course. But if anybody on the other side figures out the truth about the Verdant Vista wormhole . . ."
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:49 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote: That's fairly obvious. Possibly a bit too obvious. However, Zack McBryde definitely knows about the Torch wormhole connection to the Twins; whether he knows anything beyond that is currently unknown. In particular, we don't know if he knows anything about either Felix or Darius, or if he does, if he knows about the Felix-Twins connection.

SCC wrote:Where do you get the idea that Zack knows about the twins?

JohnRoth wrote:Please reread Chapter 5 of Torch of Freedom, where he says, but not quite in so many words, that he does.

Hutch wrote:Or if you don't have it handy, I think John was remarking on this comment:

Torch of Freedom, Chapter 5 wrote:"Oh, I'm not talking about any hardware surprises, if that's what you're thinking," Zachariah assured him. "As far as I know, the Manties didn't trot out a single new gadget this time around. Which, much as I hate to admit it"—he smiled a bit sourly—"actually came as a pleasant surprise, for a change." He shook his head. "No, what bothers me is the fact that Manticore and Haven are cooperating on anything. The fact that they managed to get the League on board with them, too, doesn't make me any happier, of course. But if anybody on the other side figures out the truth about the Verdant Vista wormhole . . ."

That's where it starts, but there's a lot more meat on them bones later in the chapter.
Post by BrightSoul   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

Probably the greatest potential for leaks hasn't been mentioned yet and I'm kinda stunned.

The McBride family is our key to splitting the onion. Consider that they rest of the family was supposed to die in the shopping center blast but were delayed and survived.

With the rushed nature of Houdini one has to wonder if somehow in the confusion the MA coordinators may have missed that they survived? Could someone in the Mesan Government publish that they had died along with Zack only to be exposed when the Family comes out and says "Nope, he left weeks before that happened on a business trip."

The other thing that could expose the alignment is Jessyk Combine's efforts to secure and explore the Felix Terminus. Not in their files on Mesa, they've had plenty of time to Sanitize those records, but rather in one of their offices within the league branch offices. Consider the info dump on how they were very circumspect in their efforts to secure their ownership of that wormhole without being discovered. Could their be breadcrumbs our intrepid SLN investigators (Al-Fanudahi anyone?) could find as they dig deeper and deeper into Rajampet and corruption at the ministerial level?
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:43 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:Probably the greatest potential for leaks hasn't been mentioned yet and I'm kinda stunned.

The McBride family is our key to splitting the onion. Consider that they rest of the family was supposed to die in the shopping center blast but were delayed and survived.

With the rushed nature of Houdini one has to wonder if somehow in the confusion the MA coordinators may have missed that they survived? Could someone in the Mesan Government publish that they had died along with Zack only to be exposed when the Family comes out and says "Nope, he left weeks before that happened on a business trip."

The other thing that could expose the alignment is Jessyk Combine's efforts to secure and explore the Felix Terminus. Not in their files on Mesa, they've had plenty of time to Sanitize those records, but rather in one of their offices within the league branch offices. Consider the info dump on how they were very circumspect in their efforts to secure their ownership of that wormhole without being discovered. Could their be breadcrumbs our intrepid SLN investigators (Al-Fanudahi anyone?) could find as they dig deeper and deeper into Rajampet and corruption at the ministerial level?

I think you misunderstood. The Alignment did not intend for the McBrides to die. If they died, it would have been simple coincidence, not a deliberate act by the Alignment. They did not intentionally target families of the people they were slipping out in Houdini, because they did not want to disenchant them. Houdini had some other cover for Zach's disappearance.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by kzt   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:48 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:I think you misunderstood. The Alignment did not intend for the McBrides to die. If they died, it would have been simple coincidence, not a deliberate act by the Alignment. They did not intentionally target families of the people they were slipping out in Houdini, because they did not want to disenchant them. Houdini had some other cover for Zach's disappearance.

No, there was at least one whose husband showed up for a conference that got blowed up real good, and she was listed as being there too iirc.
Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

BrightSoul wrote:Probably the greatest potential for leaks hasn't been mentioned yet and I'm kinda stunned.

I don't think that the family was targeted; they just happened to live in that neighborhood. The purpose of the bomb was cover the disappearance of a thousand or so people who are now 'missing, presumed dead'.

There's the case of Lisa Charteris, who "officially perished in an air car disaster" and then was presumed killed with a bunch of other scientists. Along with her husband. But I think that was a mistake on the part of the authors, rather than the Malign's Houdini team.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:57 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
SWM wrote:I think you misunderstood. The Alignment did not intend for the McBrides to die. If they died, it would have been simple coincidence, not a deliberate act by the Alignment. They did not intentionally target families of the people they were slipping out in Houdini, because they did not want to disenchant them. Houdini had some other cover for Zach's disappearance.

No, there was at least one whose husband showed up for a conference that got blowed up real good, and she was listed as being there too iirc.

Since many of the people being hidden by Houdini were scientific or technical experts who would attend such a thing, that conference was a good way to hide the disappearance of a lot of people at once. They weren't specifically targeting the husband--if the husband had not been there but thought his wife was, that would have been perfectly acceptable cover. I don't think they would target a shopping mall just to disappear a single person. How would they even know that the McBrydes would be going to that particular mall at that particular time?
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:04 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

SWM wrote: I think you misunderstood. The Alignment did not intend for the McBrides to die. If they died, it would have been simple coincidence, not a deliberate act by the Alignment. They did not intentionally target families of the people they were slipping out in Houdini, because they did not want to disenchant them. Houdini had some other cover for Zach's disappearance.
kzt wrote: No, there was at least one whose husband showed up for a conference that got blowed up real good, and she was listed as being there too iirc.
SWM wrote: Since many of the people being hidden by Houdini were scientific or technical experts who would attend such a thing, that conference was a good way to hide the disappearance of a lot of people at once. They weren't specifically targeting the husband--if the husband had not been there but thought his wife was, that would have been perfectly acceptable cover.

No, in that case they did target the left-behind relative.
Jules had been personally invited by Lisa's boss, at Collin Detweiler's instruction. ... The blast would not only explain Lisa Charteris's disappearance. By killing her husband it would also eliminate the one person most likely to probe that disappearance.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?

Return to Honorverse